perlita

Help, I can't quit drinking

42 posts in this topic

I had a series of awakenings in the last few months yet can't quit drinking specially after I realized that a couple of glasses doesn't necessarily render me unconscious. So I guess awareness alone is not always curative. It seems to be genetic (lots of alcoholics in the family) and karmic  - at least that's the answer I got during self-inquiring.  Does anyone have any tips or point me in a right direction? Thank you!

Edited by perlita

Go to AA meetings. 

Have you tried psychedelics? They are powerful catalysts for change, so much so that the co-founder of AA recommended it to be part of the 12 step program.

Try to see the bigger picture of your life too, why should alcohol be such a huge part of it? Keep going on your journey, but surrounding yourself with individuals who are also not so focused on drinking will help. 

Don't give up. -_-

15 hours ago, perlita said:

I had a series of awakenings in the last few months yet can't quit drinking specially after I realized that a couple of glasses doesn't necessarily render me unconscious. So I guess awareness alone is not always curative. It seems to be genetic (lots of alcoholics in the family) and karmic  - at least that's the answer I got during self-inquiring.  Does anyone have any tips or point me in a right direction? Thank you!

Try replacing it with weed.

@perlita Awareness alone is curative. You’re not yet aware of the thoughts which trigger the emotions which are answered by the numbing of alcohol. You’re not aware of this, because the thoughts you don’t want to be aware of are conditioned, they get lumped together and pushed to the side, out of the ‘view’ of awareness. Reason operates in the ‘plain’ of duality. To fool yourself, you believe one side of the coin is true, and the other side is not true. Both sides are true, you are the coin. In this case, “genetics” is the side of the coin you are favoring. This allows you to justify drinking. This is what is sheltered, hidden, from the awareness. Become aware of the other side of the coin. Epigentics. Bruce Lipton. Psychologically, take a fun look at what your relatives who drink because of ‘genetics’ are “drinking from”, or, what they are not looking at, which enables them to drink. Then see this in yourself, this shared conditioned convenient perspective. Choose well being for yourself. You are worthy and deserving of well being. It is your true nature. Connect, unify - yourself. Make yourself whole again. Every second aligned is more delicious, and by far more intoxicating than any substance could ever be. The cure is in the pain. Awareness alone is curative. Limit is by thoughts, you are unlimited. You are potentiality, and you can do anything. The fact of this can at first glance be quite overwhelming, but the uncertainty, is the gift of the present. Acceptance of uncertainty, allows unlimited potentiality, as there is no fear in acceptance of uncertainty. Acceptance of what is, is intoxicating, though we’ll never be certain as to why. That’s just you. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Same problem, but cigarettes. Tbh I'm being zen devil about it saying to myself constantly in one form or another "if I am doing it, then that is God's will, there is no such thing as my will" 

Btw, I used to be a heavy drinker, but I stopped naturally and easily, but I replaced it with cigarettes and cannabis... I think because those fit more with my zen devil persona :D Actually the number one reason I stopped alcohol is because I found out that it is anti spiritual and it makes me less conscious. 

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

@Nahm Thank you, I always enjoy your metaphors :) 
@Dodo I used to be a heavy smoker too, ha ha. Have you read Alan Carr's book? I think it was the very first time in my life when I became aware that I am not my cravings. My alcohol addiction is much sneakier though, I can't even catch the prior thought, it's almost like boom - magically - there is a glass of wine in my hand.  

@perlita don’t know how serious it is - but an alcohol diary could help to get more aware. there are even some apps you could use. 

you could reduce drinking to twice a week or three times a week first in a limited amount, like a glass, for a while. and then you could reduce it to none for some time. consciously deciding to choose water instead.

if that’s not working guess it’s more serious - you then might have to stop with help. (maybe with kambo? poor frogs)

Edited by now is forever

On 10/09/2018 at 8:44 AM, Good-boy said:

Try replacing it with weed.

sometimes they take both after.

take care, but for me it worked a lot like this.

but not for everyone, I ve seen many friend fall for both. ( I do not drink alcohol seriously 1 year after starting weed )

But I NEVER did alcohol at home alone ( or just a beer ) I do not drink any alcohol besides, even at event. ( It has been 3 years without being "drunk" but I was high for sure haha )

I love weed, it's already enough to calm down ( with music it's bliss ). Choose your tool, not every tool. Alcohol don't sound like a wise choice at all.

Focus on all the bad feeling after alcohol, best way to hate it.

Edited by Strikr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbw__MsJZ0

We know nothing, and even, I m not sure. a.V.e

On 10/09/2018 at 5:30 PM, Dodo said:

Same problem, but cigarettes. Tbh I'm being zen devil about it saying to myself constantly in one form or another "if I am doing it, then that is God's will, there is no such thing as my will" 

Btw, I used to be a heavy drinker, but I stopped naturally and easily, but I replaced it with cigarettes and cannabis... I think because those fit more with my zen devil persona :D Actually the number one reason I stopped alcohol is because I found out that it is anti spiritual and it makes me less conscious. 

hated it for the same reason " loosing my consciousness" where weed doesn't fog the real, it makes it tasty.

@perlita

for me aswell, it's magic, I do not wanted to buy weed today, and WHAT WHAT HAPPEN WHAT S ON MY TABLE

WHO PUT THIS

who roll this , is someone HERE ?

I m out of this topic !! THINGS POP IN MY HAND !!

Edited by Strikr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbw__MsJZ0

We know nothing, and even, I m not sure. a.V.e

I'd say awareness is absolutely curative for you with this problem--but cures don't always happen over night.  The fact that you are aware of your addiction and are seeking help means you are on the right path to curing this problem.  

Consider AA meetings, or an addictions counsellor/therapist.  Most people with a genetic/familial predisposition for alcoholism can not use alcohol moderately.  Consider cold-turkey abstinence.  Be cautious about replacing alcohol with other substances (marijuana, psychedelics) for the time being. 

9 hours ago, Strikr said:

hated it for the same reason " loosing my consciousness" where weed doesn't fog the real, it makes it tasty.

@perlita

for me aswell, it's magic, I do not wanted to buy weed today, and WHAT WHAT HAPPEN WHAT S ON MY TABLE

WHO PUT THIS

who roll this , is someone HERE ?

I m out of this topic !! THINGS POP IN MY HAND !!

Proof that we live in electronic universe and someone keeps using the cheatcode spawnjoint420 

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

This guy fits perfectly to your situation.

Give it a shot

You might also want to check out this one.

https://www.amazon.de/Under-Rest-Reflections-Twelve-English-ebook/dp/B073W16Z6D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536999333&sr=8-1&keywords=paul+hedderman+12+steps

he helped me quite alot, although I wouldn't consider myself to have been a hardcore addict.

@perlita

Edited by Timotheus

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all of the barriers within yourself that you have built against it 

- A Course in Miracles

mhhh, if it’s the only way to handle one addiction to replace it with another one that doesn’t affect you - guess it’s the better alternative.

but keep in mind it could be maybe just another addiction. usually there is mutch more to the addiction than only the addiction - what do we compensate? 

to handle that it’s the mutch bigger part under the surface.

i found it quiet helpful to use strong brewed ginger tea when i was stopping smoking - it’s said ginger is stopping the craving. 

read something about tamarind helping to control alcohol craving - i found the fruit in asian supermarkets. maybe you could make some lemonade with it... don’t know.

On 9/9/2018 at 8:08 AM, perlita said:

awareness alone is not always curative

Now I never had a drinking problem myself (despite being susceptible to many other addictions), but awareness of how my body reacts after just one drink was enough for me to decide to be sober. I genuinely enjoyed the buzz I got from sipping on some beer, wine or whiskey, but compared to that, the memory of the discomfort I felt afterwards was much more powerful. Could be just my own sensitivity, but after drinking even a little, I get this dry feeling in my head, like I'm in a fog and my brain isn't all there, it's an uncomfortable feeling of being low consciousness, dampened experience of life, not my best self. I also experience insomnia the night after I drink. Normally I never have insomnia, I easily fall asleep if I go to be tired, fall right back asleep if I wake up throughout the night. So when I see they're serving drinks at an event, or my mom left a bottle of wine in the refrigerator, I remember what it feels like to lie in bed restless, tossing and turning, unable to fall asleep, then waking up still tired and going through it again, then being lethargic all throughout the next day. And I resist the temptation to drink.

Most kids (sorry l am calling you a kid) don't get it & this forum may not even be the right group for you- Elle's work is wonderful - if you could listen to this, your fight or flight functions are pretty negative  

Salutations Perlita,

On 9/9/2018 at 11:08 AM, perlita said:

Does anyone have any tips or point me in a right direction?

Hummm...  A few evenings ago i was watching some late TV show and the final scene happened to focus on friends gathered together to socialize around large quantities of alcohol.  Then a similar set of symbols was broadcasted during the next commercial adds, then the next program started with even more evident banalization, in a province where it's a crime to wear cannabis clothing, and soon smoke it in any public area including private balconies.  Neither situations feel appropriate but at least you can mute your TV and zap through channels, while i got no similar options relatively to cannabis, so until your internal organs start to complain you're free to enjoy the relative absence of predatory stigma!  Then i a few decades from now it may even be possible liver/pancreas transplants have become a routine operation - sponsored by some vodka manufacturer or else!

;)

Good day, have fun!!  B|

Hi my name is Arcangelo and I am an alcoholic. I used to drink 60 beers a week. I have been sober for 8 years now. I replaced it with weed. I used to buy cheap weed when i was an alcoholic. Now I only buy top shelf stuff. No hangovers in 8 years.

It gets better and better. I don't have any tips for you though. I knew i had a problem, i accepted i had a problem. But what made me quit was getting tonsillitis, I couldn't get out of the house to buy alcohol so i took advantage of the situation and told my self: -''This is the perfect time to quit.'' And I did.

Quitting alcohol is my biggest accomplishment in life, the runner up is my spiritual awakening experience.

Good luck!

Arc

1 minute ago, Arcangelo said:

I have been sober for 8 years now. I replaced it with weed

Sounds like you just swapped one addiction for another. 

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

8 minutes ago, Arcangelo said:

I have been sober for 8 years now. I replaced it with weed.

Good job, that's a huge accomplishment. Weed is a much less harmful substance to be dependant on.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.