Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

1,540 posts in this topic

@herghly Yes, the more pranayamas the faster the results should come.

It's said by some yogis that you need like 10,000 pranayamas to enter a deep samadhi effortlessly.

I don't recall the exact number. It's mentioned in one of the books.

Of course this number should not be taken too literally. It will differ for each person. But it gives you a rough idea of how many pranayamas you're aiming for. So do a shitload of them.

"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself." -- Rumi

question about kriya. this is a very long thread so a quick basic fire shot questions

how many different exercises/poses/styles does kriya yoga have?

i was searching on YouTube, and many videos have below in the comments " this is not correct kriya exercises" and there are different breathing / poses in various videos... so are there like a list of say 30 different exercises which are included in kriya yoga... and some videos are showing 1-5 others maybe showing 15-20 etc...

i read some pages in this thread and some of you are getting the techniques from books.

can someone plz guide me to some website / pdf or a video which has some basic list of exercises for kriya to do

so far, i found based on my YouTube/online search the following: (not sure of names, describing the actions involved )

>> right and left nostril breathing - alternating between the two

>> inhale 1 breath and let it out in 7 mini breaths

>> single nostril breathing and punching the armpit with the other arm

>> hands up like a V and dropping down on out-breath hitting the side ribs

so are these part of kriya yoga? or different type of them?

any advise. thanks.

"When you discover Stillness in the movement, and the Unchanging within the changing, then you have found your eternal home."
♥ Love ♥ Leads The Way...
Follow: https://www.instagram.com/ev3rsunny

@Leo Gura is ennio nimis book legit? 

I have been doing the practices mentioned in the book with great results especially kriya paranyamas, But I am asking to make sure.

On 16/08/2019 at 9:09 AM, GreenWoods said:

(sorry abt the quote, it's stuck there for some reason) 

I have a problem, I have relatively good lung capacity and I can hold my breath for quite a while. But when I do yoni mudra I can barely hold it for like 15 seconds, even with a long full inhale, it feels as if I'm bloated with air, as if there's huge pressure on my nostrils and mouth to release the exhale when I'm doing the technique. And so I end up exhaling prematurely... 

Can anyone relate to this? 

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Pernani said:

(sorry abt the quote, it's stuck there for some reason) 

I have a problem, I have relatively good lung capacity and I can hold my breath for quite a while. But when I do yoni mudra I can barely hold it for like 15 seconds, even with a long full inhale, it feels as if I'm bloated with air, as if there's huge pressure on my nostrils and mouth to release the exhale when I'm doing the technique. And so I end up exhaling prematurely... 

Can anyone relate to this? 

does this also happen if you inhale only about 70 or 80% lung capacity?

18 hours ago, SoonHei said:

can someone plz guide me to some website / pdf or a video which has some basic list of exercises for kriya to do.

http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/Eng_Downloads1.html

here you can download online books by Ennio Nimis. But if you can afford it then get the yoga books from Leo's booklist, I find them more straightforward and they include a few more poweful techniques 

And some of your mentioned techniques are part or preparatory kriya techniques. But they are very weak. You gotta do pranayamas (and maha mudra, supreme fire, yoni mudra,...)

Edited by GreenWoods

Do you guys do the preparatory techniques or do you just straight-up go to pranayamas and other "main" techniques?

Nothing can make you happy until Nothing can make you happy.

2 hours ago, nistake said:

Do you guys do the preparatory techniques or do you just straight-up go to pranayamas and other "main" techniques?

I usually do 3 rounds of the alternating nostril breathing - nadi sodhana or how it's called. Then I continue with maha mudra. I think you can do talabya kriya whenever you have time during the day. and the ujjayi breath as additional preparatory exercise seems redundant to me ( as it's done during the main techniques anyways)

5 hours ago, GreenWoods said:

does this also happen if you inhale only about 70 or 80% lung capacity?

http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/Eng_Downloads1.html

here you can download online books by Ennio Nimis. But if you can afford it then get the yoga books from Leo's booklist, I find them more straightforward and they include a few more poweful techniques 

And some of your mentioned techniques are part or preparatory kriya techniques. But they are very weak. You gotta do pranayamas (and maha mudra, supreme fire, yoni mudra,...)

Idk how to breathe 80% lung capacity lol but I will try to do so

Posted (edited)

On 8/21/2019 at 9:44 AM, SoonHei said:

how many different exercises/poses/styles does kriya yoga have?

There's a basic set for first Kriya and then the higher levels add on to that.

Different lineages modified these over time. An example would be Hong-Sau, which is practiced by thousands of Kriyabans but was not really taught by Lahiri. But it's one way of doing basic concentration (Shambhavi Mudra) and seeing Kutastha (spiritual eye) which of course he did teach about.

There are also variations of gurupronam, mahamudra and navi kriya. Some include bowing and some don't. Also, some practices are performed separately and some at the same time.

But a basic set would include:

Mahamudra
Talabya Kriya / Khechari Mudra
Navi Kriya
Om Japa
Kriya Pranayama
Yonimudra or Jyotimudra

Edited by kerk

Hi guys,

In the alternate version of Yoni Muda where the 3 Bandhas are applied, I'm not sure how to apply Uddiyana Bandha during it. Should I be doing it like this:

Inhale Muladhara to Ajna - Do thumbs/fingers/ plugging, then hold breath and apply bandhas

or

Inhale Muladhara to Ajna - Do thumbs/ fingers plugging, then quickly exhale till lungs are empty, then apply the bandhas?

This is in regard to the Uddiyana Bandha especially, as I'm not sure wether to empty the lungs then suck in the stomach, or suck in the stomach whilst holding the breath when it's at Ajna.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Rowan

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, -Rowan said:

Inhale Muladhara to Ajna - Do thumbs/fingers/ plugging, then hold breath and apply bandhas

Like this. You have to do the bandhas while holding the breath. Over time you  will get used to it. 

But I am not sure whether it is indeed more effective to do the chin lock while bringing prana above the neck (ajna/crown). In his 3rd book he gives an upgraded version for supreme fire - it's basically the upgraded  yoni mudra without the finger plugging (+shambavi mudra) - and there he states that the chin lock should not be applied.

Edited by GreenWoods

@GreenWoods Thanks! Doing the stomach suck in whilst holding the breath is a bit weird but I'll stick with it.

By the way, is there much of a difference between J.C Stevens Mental Kriya and Gamanas 'Parvastha'? What should I do at the end of the routine? One pointed concentration on a chakra? I'm not sure of the difference between Mental Kriya, Parvastha and one pointed concentration. What are you guys doing?

Besides kriya do you guys do other spiritual practices?

4 hours ago, -Rowan said:

By the way, is there much of a difference between J.C Stevens Mental Kriya and Gamanas 'Parvastha'? What should I do at the end of the routine? One pointed concentration on a chakra? I'm not sure of the difference between Mental Kriya, Parvastha and one pointed concentration. What are you guys doing?

Mental Kriya is a technique. It's not that different from Om Japa in the Chakras really.  Parvastha is a state, usually translated as after-effect-poise or tranquility. What should you do at the end? Enjoy Parvastha.

Lahiri said not to do any techniques when in Parvastha. Specifically, from Garland of Letters: "When Tranquility comes, do not disturb that by doing pranayam or any other Kriya."

19 hours ago, herghly said:

Besides kriya do you guys do other spiritual practices?

Being in parvastha is a form of meditation. Sometimes I do self-inquiry in the parvastha state as well. 

And randomly during the day contemplation.

Edited by GreenWoods

How do you guys cope with strong emotions boiling up? Having unbalanced energy in the lower chakras.

I recently started doing the kriya supreme fire and feel quick bursts of irritation, eating alot more and hard to sleep. I know this can be the shadowside of yoga.

@Paan  you can try Hatha Yoga or some kind of physical activity. It also helps me to keep a journal and contemplate about these strong emotions.

10 hours ago, Paan said:

How do you guys cope with strong emotions boiling up? Having unbalanced energy in the lower chakras.

I recently started doing the kriya supreme fire and feel quick bursts of irritation, eating alot more and hard to sleep. I know this can be the shadowside of yoga.

Listen to your body and energetic system.

"Many people have not been practicing Kriya Yoga long enough to safely practice the Kriya Supreme Fire technique" - Gamana

"Kriya Supreme Fire is not a part of traditional Kriya" - Gamana