Lauritz

Two Week Solo Dark Room Retreat

20 posts in this topic

In about four month I have booked a dark room retreat. It is a solo retreat in a sound-proof room with access to a bathroom and meals are provided through a double door. So it is complete darkness and (mostly) silence for two weeks. I am a bit scared :D

But I figured I am ready for it. After years of practicing meditation daily and not gaining much from it anymore and a few psychedelic experiences (mushrooms) I think it is time for me to get a little more serious about enlightenment. I have heard that this form of retreat is very powerful as it quickly changes the ratios of several neurochemicals in the brain. A lot of melatonin, DMT and even 5-MeO-DMT is produced. So the experience is supposed to be intense and facilitate awakening and higher states of consciousness.

Why am I posting already now? I would like to get some input from you guys? Someone here who already did such a retreat? What were your experiences? 

Edited by Lauritz

@Lauritz 2 weeks on your own in complete darkness and silence?! Sounds terrifying. I'm sure it'll be a very powerfull retreat though. Good luck! :) 

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

@Lauritz I'm not gonna pretend like I know much about dr retreats, I do not, I only have read a few reports
But holy shit 2 weeks?
Thats... a really long time!
If you are dedicated for the entire 2 week experience, I bow to you sir. That is some challenge, you are truly amazingly dedicated

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

The room stays dark?  That's going to feel like a month with your lack of ability to tell the time.  I'm also curious what places are doing something like this.  Seems somewhat psychologically dangerous if you aren't ready tbh.  

@Outer Haha I thought of this video as soon as I read the topic. Great minds stink alike. Yea, we're really stinkers! Gonna give the poor guy nightmares for sure now. At least the guy in the video had light!:P

8 hours ago, Lauritz said:

A lot of melatonin, DMT and even 5-MeO-DMT is produced.

@Lauritz My hat is off to you! I would imagine you wouldn't know if your awake or dreaming after a while. Or even if there would be much difference. The 5-MEO-DMT will be pouring out of your pineal gland.  I read sometimes it can actually be tasted going down the back of the throat. It's called nectar of the Gods. Best of luck!

@Lauritz That's gonna be intense. Good luck!

Write us a trip report when you get back.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Lauritz That would be really tough challenge! Good luck! But why can't you do it at your house if you live alone?

12 hours ago, egoless said:

@Lauritz That would be really tough challenge! Good luck! But why can't you do it at your house if you live alone?

You need people to prepare meals for you so you can remain totally in the dark.  I can't imagine it being doable at home properly unless you really modified your room and had people staying at your house helping you. 

Well I guess you could just eat pre-packaged food the whole time.  May be feasible for shorter periods.

Why the hell not???!!!

Just do it and quote me when you write your report, please.

Much love my friend!

thanks for sharing.

I was last night the first time conscious in a dark room and the surroundings and the feelings were quite interesting when I just focused on the blackness.

- interested in your report :)

http://www.terapietmou.eu/index.php/en/therapies-services/darkness-therapy#cenik

it is a retreat in Czech Republic. Meals are provided and also daily consultation if wished. 

Thanks for all your replies. I will make sure to report on my experience. I will also take a recorder with me into the dark. A USB device which only has on button for voice recording. 

It is sure going to be intense. I have seen the video from vsauce. But I would guess it is actually not that relevant. He did not spent anytime contemplating or meditating. He also said he is a person with an overly active mind. 

And the light probably makes things worse. In the darkness the first three days are reported to be rather easy as one tends to sleep a lot. Without light falling onto the eyes, melatonin has no way to be cleared.

But than I am also kind of afraid of it. When the full don't production starts and maybe even 5-meo-DTM, than it probably will not really have mattered where it came from. The experience is probably intense no matter if it was smoked or internally produced. 

As I have 3,5 month until the retreat I am going to acquire the skills to practice different kinds of meditation techniques. Just to be sure and have variety.

I had a few crazy mushroom experiences. I hope those will provide me with some background experience to relate to and better be able to surrender when I face difficulties.

@Lauritz I very much like the idea itself. But it seems so uncomfortable that you have to do it in stranger environment. Doing it home seems much more comfortable. Because maybe I'm overthinking it but you never know what these strangers can do with your food or while you sleep. It just doesn't feel safe to me subjectively. And keeping my mind quiet seems impossible for me. But hey this is me and you may be completely different person.

@egoless How would you do it at home? Build a light and sound-proof room for that? And then someone has to do all the cooking for you. 

After talking to those people, I think I am able to judge whether they want to harm me or not. You probably just watched one to many horror movies.

I probably have to mention that I was hooked on the idea of doing such a retreat from the first time I have heard about it.

I experienced many moments where I just wished for an extended time of doing nothing and just being totally free of any obligations. Usually my life is filled with activity and a lot of thinking and planning. On the other hand I feel that I am unusually happy just doing nothing. Just sitting and not even meditating, just doing the do-nothing technique resonated with me right from the start. The only problem I have with extended "meditation" sessions is not boredom but discomfort in my body. So if I allow myself to change positions frequently, I think I can mange the time in the darkness.

Interestingly, just yesterday I had a lucid dream in which I was thinking of this upcoming retreat. I imagined how this experience is very similar to what will happen during the retreat: Having visions (in that case a dream) while being fully conscious and awake. I imagine the transitions will be fluid between waking, sleeping and dreaming. Maybe there will come a point where the states will be hard to distinguish. Scary to imagine that I will not have my usual sensory environment to check whether I am asleep or awake... 

Much respect for your guts! Best of luck, and I hope you gain a lot of your experience. We'll be waiting for your report when you come out!

"Es gibt die Wahrheit, mein Lieber! Aber die ,Lehre', die du begehrst [...], die gibt es nicht. Du sollst dich auch gar nicht nach einer vollkommenen Lehre sehnen, Freund, sondern nach Vervollkommnung deiner selbst."

- Herman Hesse, Das Glasperlenspiel

On 19/09/2017 at 2:02 PM, Lauritz said:

In about four month I have booked a dark room retreat. It is a solo retreat in a sound-proof room with access to a bathroom and meals are provided through a double door. So it is complete darkness and (mostly) silence for two weeks. I am a bit scared :D

But I figured I am ready for it. After years of practicing meditation daily and not gaining much from it anymore and a few psychedelic experiences (mushrooms) I think it is time for me to get a little more serious about enlightenment. I have heard that this form of retreat is very powerful as it quickly changes the ratios of several neurochemicals in the brain. A lot of melatonin, DMT and even 5-MeO-DMT is produced. So the experience is supposed to be intense and facilitate awakening and higher states of consciousness.

Why am I posting already now? I would like to get some input from you guys? Someone here who already did such a retreat? What were your experiences? 

Hey Lauritz,

Any news about your retreat? How was it? Would you recommend it?

Cheers,

Marius