StarStruck

Is GPT4 worth it?

19 posts in this topic

I feel like 3.5 is already very good. I can have normal conversation with it. Especially in voice. On the iPhone it sounds like talking to a normal person. I’m using it for contemplation and practicing new knowledge. 

28 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

I feel like 3.5 is already very good. I can have normal conversation with it. Especially in voice. On the iPhone it sounds like talking to a normal person. I’m using it for contemplation and practicing new knowledge. 

4 is definitely better than 3.5 at many benchmarks. 
The best thing about 4 is getting access to vision, web search, and customGPTs. 
Vision allows it to understand images. 
Web search allows it to stay up to date with information. (3.5 only has information up to 2023 I think).
The best thing is customGPTs, both the ability to train/finetune your own GPTs, and access GPTs other users made from their own proprietary data. There are customGPTs for any task possible. You can also release your own GPTs to earn profit based on how many users use them.     

it's knowledge is pretty good, though outdated. 

It's rubbish, it's impossible to ask him anything serious (in endocrinology, neurology, pharmaceuticals, etc.) otherwise he systematically replies that he can't help out of professional ethics.
I don't want to use totalitarian AI.

Gemini > all.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

4 is way better than 3.5 but it's only worth it if you use ChatGPT substantially throughout the week.

I bought it and I think it is worth it. Only thing I'm annoyed about that htere are message caps. I'm a paying customer wtf.

I recommend using the ChatGPT app on mobile. Using the voice chat functionality works very nicely.

$20/month is peanuts when used properly 

Edited by Yimpa

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

3 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

I bought it and I think it is worth it. Only thing I'm annoyed about that htere are message caps. I'm a paying customer wtf.

Try Gemini Advanced if message caps bother you. I don’t think they have one

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Just now, thenondualtankie said:

I use ChatGPT quite heavily and very rarely reach the message limit

Have you tried using GPTs? If so, which ones do you find most useful?

https://openai.com/blog/introducing-gpts

I'm unable to renew my Plus for some reason, but 3.5 is surprisingly good now. 

The only downside is no image generation OR uploading. Sometimes I upload images to ask what's in it or to describe things in detail so I can use that for prompt to generate images. 

On 2/27/2024 at 6:43 PM, Schizophonia said:

It's rubbish, it's impossible to ask him anything serious (in endocrinology, neurology, pharmaceuticals, etc.) otherwise he systematically replies that he can't help out of professional ethics.

I'm not surprised these are the kind of questions you'd ask AI all day 😜

On 2/27/2024 at 6:43 PM, Schizophonia said:

Gemini > all.

Sarcasm I pressume? 

Edited by Butters

Hi Yimpa. Most of the GPTs are basically useless in my opinion. You get the same benefit by prompting the default system yourself. However, 'Consensus AI' is a pretty useful one because it lets you search a database of academic papers.

I find it more useful to create my own GPTs as I need them. For example, I created a psychedelic assistant GPT that helps with things like testing, ROA and general knowledge around psychedelics. The main benefit is that it gets straight to the point without preceding its message with a thousand safety and legal warnings.

Edited by thenondualtankie

Sarcasm I pressume? 

No :ph34r:

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

18 hours ago, thenondualtankie said:

Hi Yimpa. Most of the GPTs are basically useless in my opinion. You get the same benefit by prompting the default system yourself. However, 'Consensus AI' is a pretty useful one because it lets you search a database of academic papers.

I find it more useful to create my own GPTs as I need them. For example, I created a psychedelic assistant GPT that helps with things like testing, ROA and general knowledge around psychedelics. The main benefit is that it gets straight to the point without preceding its message with a thousand safety and legal warnings.

True for me too. Most of those custom GPT’s are gimmicky. 

Posted (edited)

It is but you need to calibrate it precisely by filling in the customizable section in your profile (not sure if this is a feature of 3.5 too) otherwise it remains fairly basic. 

GPT4 can do really in depth analysis with whatever variables you give him even for thinks where it has to imagine hypothetical concepts, time & space orientation or where your descriptions remain fairly vague, I found it is extremely intuitive even if given brief promt only. It also works well with photos, printscreens, drawing, videos and giving it simplistic instructions and combine them with hypothetical and vague instructions. For example I use it to help me practice copywrighting for very theorectical scenarios giving it tons of random variables and asking it to critically assess not just things like grammar but style of voice, tone of voice,syntax, word repetition, consistency wth certain branding guidelines that I gave him previously like tense, wording, language, the way I write things compared to the way I used to etc. I find it can detect extremely subtle things and feed those back to me. I even tell him what to focus on during feedback and it still does that very well. 

Given enough instructions, you can learn it to talk certain way, respond certain way, perceive situations through the lenses of your instructions but again that depends on what you do with it. it still has a tendency to use a lot of sales & cheesy language so that needs to be paid attention to. The limit is is a downside but it is like 50 messages in 3 hours, I've never come even close to that. I also like Dall-E and it is fun to play around with but not something I use for professional use as the results still look too AI-ish compared to Midjourney for example. 

Overall it is worth the price and you can unsub anytime. Again, depends on what it does for you. Don't upgrade if you are using it to answer basic questions only if you want to do a lot of speculative workor type of work that require subtlety and precision. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 Have you also tried Gemini? 

On 27/02/2024 at 7:14 AM, StarStruck said:

I had for awile and canceled since I am not using to much now, but just the faxct you can use images to generate images are amazing. For example, I can make a handmade sketch and ask Dall-E3 to use my drawing as a model

Dall e was always useless and just for fun

ChatGPT 4 is worth the price. I would even pay up to 70 dollars per month for this so good is it