emil1234

Question for leo; what is sleep / unconsciousness?

36 posts in this topic

first off i wanna say that im a great admirer of your work.

however one thing i've been thinking a lot about is the matter of sleep / unconsciousness. if consciousness is literally the fabric of reality, and not something generated in my brain, how is unconsciousness like sleep possible? furthermore, there must be some correlation between the brain and consciousness, since if for example I take a hard punch to the head, i can lose consciousness. 

ive been thinking about this quite a lot, one solution is that if consciousness can scale up infinitely, it must also be able to scale down infinitely, hence something like sleep / unconsciousness.

I've also been considering; am i even truly unconscious when I'm asleep? when I wake up, i'm quite clearly able to conclude whether or not my sleep has been good or bad. hence there must still be something observing during deep sleep? or maybe I simply judge the quality of my sleep in contrast to my waking conscious state?

Another thought I've had is that sleep never happens since its not observed. but would it then be possible to sleep and never wake up? i guess regardless of one sleeping 1 hour or a 100 years would feel the same, since the notion of time does not exist during sleep.

I believe you said in one of your videos that sleep happens because one is identified with the body. however im not sure what you mean by "identified", and how this answers the question of unconsciousness.

Edited by emil1234

My thoughts on this is that things like "being knocked unconscious" and "sleep" are states of consciousness. They are the same in this regard as normal, sober waking states. Whether you are awake, asleep, or knocked out by a punch, those are all different states of consciousness. This is my current understanding. 

Consciousness, as I understand it's meaning when speaking about reality, spirituality, and truth is that it is all that exists. So, everything in it, regardless of the state it is in, or the relative explanation of why it is that way don't matter when thinking about what consciousness is. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I still don't understand how memory and sleep works. Kinda twisted. 

This was discussed here. Feel free to check

This the answer that most satisfied me:

The reality is this now, it always is. In this a chain of events seems to occur, but there is always awareness of existence. If there ceases to be consciousness, there ceases to be reality, therefore that period of time is non-existent, it is a time jump. Time is a construction of the cosmos and is plastic. You can jump a few hours into the future if you inject propofol, but whether it is the future is just a mental idea, from your mind that measures time. If you didn't measure it, there would simply have been a continuity in the consciousness of existing with a sudden change in the scenery. @Breakingthewall

👁CONSCIOUSNESS👁

☀️INFINITY_GOD🌞

🌎LOVE❤️                         💎TRUTH⚔️

11 minutes ago, Davino said:

This was discussed here. Feel free to check

This the answer that most satisfied me:

cool man. i kinda like the idea that we dream all the time during sleep but just dont remember it 

I would consider this a newbie question. It’s preferred that instead of making new threads members first search the forum to see if any one has asked similar question in the past and see those answers.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

From the get go, we should acknowledge the fact that we don't really know what consciousness is. Commonly, it is held as a by-product of the brain although the possibility that it is prior to the brain should be considered as well as this might be the case. We should be open. Usually, what's meant by consciousness is something akin to awareness or cognition, while consciousness sources those two and is absolute. 

Some speculation to set aside, and confront what it is through deep contemplation.

Edited by UnbornTao

2 hours ago, emil1234 said:

first off i wanna say that im a great admirer of your work.

however one thing i've been thinking a lot about is the matter of sleep / unconsciousness. if consciousness is literally the fabric of reality, and not something generated in my brain, how is unconsciousness like sleep possible? furthermore, there must be some correlation between the brain and consciousness, since if for example I take a hard punch to the head, i can lose consciousness. 

ive been thinking about this quite a lot, one solution is that if consciousness can scale up infinitely, it must also be able to scale down infinitely, hence something like sleep / unconsciousness.

I've also been considering; am i even truly unconscious when I'm asleep? when I wake up, i'm quite clearly able to conclude whether or not my sleep has been good or bad. hence there must still be something observing during deep sleep? or maybe I simply judge the quality of my sleep in contrast to my waking conscious state?

Another thought I've had is that sleep never happens since its not observed. but would it then be possible to sleep and never wake up? i guess regardless of one sleeping 1 hour or a 100 years would feel the same, since the notion of time does not exist during sleep.

I believe you said in one of your videos that sleep happens because one is identified with the body. however im not sure what you mean by "identified", and how this answers the question of unconsciousness.

Deep sleep=Not knowing=Before so called birth=Enlightenment.

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

Unconsciousness is something that you imagine. 

You never experienced being asleep.

You never experienced Non-Existence.

Because You always Are. Eternally. 

You just imagine there was some sort of "time jump" or unconscious moment in order to create the illusion of Non-Existence being possible, and therefore to create the Illusion of DEATH which makes this dream feel so real and juicy.

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

1 hour ago, Thought Art said:

I would consider this a newbie question. It’s preferred that instead of making new threads members first search the forum to see if any one has asked similar question in the past and see those answers.

This has been a problem since day 1

That search function is the most underrated and unused tool in the forum

What possible solutions could we have?

👁CONSCIOUSNESS👁

☀️INFINITY_GOD🌞

How do you know that you went to bed yesterday? How do you know that when you became conscious this morning, it wasn't actually the first time you woke up in this reality? In fact, how do you know this reality didn't manifest just 5 seconds ago and it doesn't occur to us because of how blindly we trust our memories?

When you wake up in the morning and believe that there was a period in which you were completely unconscious, notice that that's a thought. We're not trying to judge the thought as true or false, just understand that it's a thought. A belief. An assumption.

You don't actually ever experience "unconsciousness" outside of memory.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

1 hour ago, UnbornTao said:

@Thought Art let them ask

I was thinking the same thing because overtime perspectives change, people grow, different answers arise and people outgrow their old ideas to give way for new ones. Different insights on similar topics may have different meanings than what was previously said. 

Saying we need to search for a topic to see if it was already asks suggests stagnation and that things are and will always remain the same.

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

2 hours ago, Davino said:

What possible solutions could we have?

There is no problem in this regard for there to be a solution. The Universe is recycling itself, why stop the forum from doing the same. New things will come from the old.

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

1 hour ago, UnbornTao said:

@Thought Art let them ask

I like it

👁CONSCIOUSNESS👁

☀️INFINITY_GOD🌞

It's pretty simple if we use @Nahm style

Right now ..with respect to direct experience...."Sleep "  and "unconsciousness " are thoughts in your mind.  There is no debating this. That's what these two are ..right now ..In direct experience. No negotiation about it .

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

8 hours ago, Someone here said:

It's pretty simple if we use @Nahm style

Okay, but what does the @Someone here  style say? It's the most powerful style... if you know how to use it. So use it god damn it!

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-02-08 a las 12.23.05_25aa9ab7.jpg

This is what Ramana says about the topic of deep sleep, dream state and ordinary waking. He relates it with Mind and not with Consciosuness.

It's a good perspective to reflect on

👁CONSCIOUSNESS👁

☀️INFINITY_GOD🌞

Sleep is practice for Death, for you in your experience when in Deep Sleep the world does not exist, so essentially it is a sort of Death, death of all your survival senses in a conscious way, even though they are still on recording everything.  

A good practice is too try to be Aware at the moment You fall asleep, if you can do this, then at the moment of physical death this sort of Awareness will help you in the inbetween stages before you gather another body and life span, in fundamental essence you have chosen this life, and all the lives you have been through, just the choice has been done unconsciously, if do this practice and bring more consciousness to your life then this will allow you more choice in all your life and beyond...

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

Okay, but what does the @Someone here  style say? It's the most powerful style... if you know how to use it. So use it god damn it!

My opinion would be the same . 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho