Ima Freeman

Intellectual understanding is futile

25 posts in this topic

If one could find an intellectual, literal truth, it would be subject to forgetfulness, like all the other intellectual concepts too.

Knowledge is impermanent. Both are not accessible in deep sleep. Fatigue, tiredness, sickness and faint deny access to complex intellectual concepts.

The mind with which words and sentences are thought of is unstable and impermanent.
It collapses, as everything collapses which once was built up.

🎯

One could contemplate further:

What does this mean for any knowledge of the past and future? What past events have "you" gone through? What is the "you" which has gone through past events? What is your fundamental identity, or your fundamental existence?

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

45 minutes ago, Ima Freeman said:

If one could find an intellectual, literal truth, it would be subject to forgetfulness, like all the other intellectual concepts too.

Futile but still enjoyable when not taken seriously.

Depends on what context you're using. Intellectual understanding is necessary and useful as well.

Futile outside its field of relevance.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I think intellectual understanding that comes from alignment might be useful, because we are still in the relative level of reality, in some sense. 

I think source is not just the highest mystic of all, so to speak, but it also is the highest philosopher, the highest intellect. 

Because we are thinkers by our nature as humans also, so to speak, we cannot stop thinking and creating models of reality, so it is best to do that from a place of alignment. 

Because what is rationality other than thinking in line with reality, and who knows reality more than the source within. 

The trouble is when we give our essential focus to thinking, instead of to our inner love and resonance, so to speak, that is the source and womb. 

5 hours ago, Ima Freeman said:

Knowledge is impermanent. Both are not accessible in deep sleep. Fatigue, tiredness, sickness and faint deny access to complex intellectual concepts.

The mind with which words and sentences are thought of is unstable and impermanent.

But that's what reality is.  That's what you are.  A bundle of concepts.   Are you going to forgo reality?  I kinda like it. So should you - After all, you designed it so that you could lose yourself in it and forget that you were the developer.  Isn't it absolutely magnificent?  You should take a moment to be conscious of the Absolute brilliance.   The problem with this dream is that God attaches itself so deeply so that it can become real, that it doesn't want to let go.  That's the cost.  Suffering is the cost.  But it's wonderful to feel mortality even for but a flash in eternity.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

It’s truly a paradox when reality appears so illogical and irrational, yet also makes perfect sense. 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

What is a better alternative to thinking, writing and speaking for spiritual advancement?

To what extend is philosophy worthwhile for achieving happiness/peace/presence/awakening?

9 minutes ago, Ima Freeman said:

What is a better alternative to thinking, writing and speaking for spiritual advancement?

To what extend is philosophy worthwhile for achieving happiness/peace/presence/awakening?

It establishes a framework.   Look at it like you would spiral dynamics.   Logic is needed - but then you can transcend into mysticism.  Mysticism incorporates rationalism but also transcends it.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

6 hours ago, Ima Freeman said:

@Ima FreemanYou raise a good point and something I have wondered myself. 

Self actualization seems to heavily depend on a healthy sharp mind/body. But what about the disabled, or elderly, or severely disadvantaged (either economically or circumstantially)? One day we might get dementia or be stuck in a hospital bed or a log term care facility. We won't have access to books or podcasts. Will spirituality or actualization be possible then? 

@Inliytened1 

Edited by Parallax Mind

@Inliytened1

So it is a necessary foundation?

But how to understand reality if the rational mind is not accessible due to illness, tiredness, injury, drugs?

1 minute ago, Ima Freeman said:

But how to understand reality if the rational mind is not accessible due to illness, tiredness, injury, drugs?

Oh no, please don’t try to understand this using intellectual understanding!

It is possible, of course. I can’t tell you. You already know deep down.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

How is this possible? 

16 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

How is this possible? 

Amazing. No arms, no legs, no fingers, no toes, an extra finger, an extra toe, 2 bodies in one.....the list goes on. Consciousness wants to experience it all.

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

6 hours ago, Ima Freeman said:

Philosophy is ultimately more intellect.

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Intellectual understanding is wonderful and important, it's contemplarey to intuition, personal experience and inner guidance. We need both.

But the intellect is limited. The most important things in life cannot be understood through the intellect. The ultimate truth cannot be accessed through any intellectual process.

The intellect is good at concluding, reasoning, defining, deviding, puting things in categories, differentiating.

Edited by Lila9

Let Love In

@Osaid if You go to origin of philosophy you will find there the love of wisdom. It is good to use the words love, wisdom, beauty. This is something we can relate to not only at the level of mind but also of the heart.

However, too frequent use of words such as God (wtf???), Infinity (another ephemeral) and Absolute (always described relatively) actually turns the discussion into mental masturbation.

I find intellectual understanding valuable in this realm. Our brains are pattern detecting savants , so the more quality inputs, we give it, the more the subconscious can go to work, and put some of the pieces together.

I’d say some of my better insights that involve actually knowing we’re probably spurred by some of the books I’ve read along the way. Unfortunately, the majority of us aren’t gifted enough to have a library card to the Akashic records so I do find intellectual pursuits valuable, if kept in their place.

Edited by mindfulstepz

Below is an example that if you search qualities of life you'll find them everywhere. I'm so glad to hear those words of humble wisdom from one of the best mathematicians ever walked this planet - Mr. Gregory Chaitin: