Oliver Wright

How to sleep 2-4 hours per day

139 posts in this topic

Hello all

I am wondering how to reduce one's sleep quota... I have heard of possibilities of being able to reduce sleep quota through eating and perhaps yoga / consciousness work.

Anybody got any useful methods.

Lots of Kriya yoga or meditation can reduce your sleep quota, but I wouldn't count on 2-4hrs of sleep. That's very low.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

It all comes down to genetics, diet, sleep routine, and amount of time spent meditating well.

2-4 hours is pretty low for even the most extreme humans. I would try lowering it to 5-6 hours. Youre gonna have to spend at least 1-3 hours meditating or in some form of yoga. Also its a fact that vegans sleep less because they eat so light that theyre body doesnt waste energy digesting shitty food.

You could also try polyphasic sleeping like Buckminster Fuller, Nikola Tesla, and Da Vinci. https://www.polyphasic.net/polyphasic-sleep-schedules/

Overall steps

1. Have extremely consistent sleep schedule and avoid blue light before bed

2. Have consciousness work/practice with either meditation or yoga a couple hours a day

3. Clean up diet. No dense carbs or fried foods. Probably some form of keto, paleo, or vegan diet depending on preference/genetics

The rest is down to genetics

12 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

If such was possible everybody would have done it already.

This is like seeing a physically healthy person and saying its not possible since most people are unhealthy. Many things that humans do in their daily lives have negative effects on their sleep patterns

40 minutes ago, Phil King said:

It all comes down to genetics, diet, sleep routine, and amount of time spent meditating well.

2-4 hours is pretty low for even the most extreme humans. I would try lowering it to 5-6 hours. Youre gonna have to spend at least 1-3 hours meditating or in some form of yoga. Also its a fact that vegans sleep less because they eat so light that theyre body doesnt waste energy digesting shitty food.

You could also try polyphasic sleeping like Buckminster Fuller, Nikola Tesla, and Da Vinci. https://www.polyphasic.net/polyphasic-sleep-schedules/

Overall steps

2. Have consciousness work/practice with either meditation or yoga a couple hours a day

3. Clean up diet. No dense carbs or fried foods. Probably some form of keto, paleo, or vegan diet depending on preference/genetics

This is like seeing a physically healthy person and saying its not possible since most people are unhealthy. Many things that humans do in their daily lives have negative effects on their sleep patterns

thanks 

42 minutes ago, Phil King said:

Overall steps

Hey I actually tried all that but my problems have changed ironically. I reduced my sleep to 3 hours through some of Sadhguru's practices and meditations. Now I don't understand how to increase it because I want more sleep now. I want to extend it to 6 hours on a minimum.. So please guide me how I can achieve that. Thanks. 

I think it depends on your daily activity.

If you're working in society and have a very active egomind then you will need a lot of sleep. 

But when I have been on Vipassana retreats or meditation intensives my sleep needs halved.

If you're trying to reduce sleep quota as a productivity hack it won't work.

In the finders by Jeffery Martin he said for some people deeper stages of enlightenment reduced hours needed to sleep 

Owen from RSD did that for years and now he looks like a train wreck.

1) You are never going to achieve what Sadhguru achieves. Stop comparing yourself to genetic freaks.

2) I highly doubt that even Sadhguru only sleeps 2-4 hrs per day. That's like Tai Lopez saying he reads one book per day. These people will make exaggerated claims as part of their PR. And it's very harmful for normal people trying to achieve normal results. Convincing someone that he should aim to sleep 2-4hrs per day is disgustingly harmful advice. A normal person needs 7-8hrs of sleep, and sometimes even more if you are stressed, overworked, exercise a lot, or are a developing teenager.

There are some genetic freaks who can get by with less sleep but that is not something you should try to emulate.

Edited by Leo Gura

Try to have the same sleep schedule set by yourself through creating healthy routines. I'm unfortunate to have a job where I have to rotate shifts every 2 weeks and it really does rob you of a lot of your potential to have to do this. Your nervous system will not be in a optimal state having your circadian rhythm messed up all the time from lack of sleeping at the same time every day.   Find wasteful habits like screen usage and cut them out. Program yourself to do certain things only at certain times.

You should aim for 6-8 hours of sleep per day.  If you have a job that doesn't pay well, quit it. If you live in a high COL area, move. The chinese 9/9/6 thing ... I'm glad I wasn't raised and indoctrinated in that country.

Some people can work all nights and that's okay if they go to sleep at the same time every day... but having random sleep times because you are too busy in front of a screen is a bad idea.

Edited by sholomar

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I highly doubt that even Sadhguru only sleeps 2-4 hrs per day. That's like Tai Lopez saying he reads one book per day. These people will make exaggerated claims as part of their PR.

Do you have a suspicion that Sadghuru is a shady character? I sense that sometimes.

16 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

1) You are never going to achieve what Sadhguru achieves. Stop comparing yourself to genetic freaks.

2) I highly doubt that even Sadhguru only sleeps 2-4 hrs per day. That's like Tai Lopez saying he reads one book per day. These people will make exaggerated claims as part of their PR. And it's very harmful for normal people trying to achieve normal results. Convincing someone that he should aim to sleep 2-4hrs per day is disgustingly harmful advice. A normal person needs 7-8hrs of sleep, and sometimes even more if you are stressed, overworked, exercise a lot, or are a developing teenager.

There are some genetic freaks who can get by with less sleep but that is not something you should try to emulate.

Eckhart Tolle said after enlightenment he sleeps 6 hours and Frank Yang said after enlightenment he sleeps 4 hours now 

Edited by Raze

5 hours ago, Benton said:

@Leo Gura How do you know your not a genetic freak?
Nobody else has been able to achieve what you have either. In the same way that nobody doing Sadhgurus yoga is Sadhguru. Nobody taking psychedelics has even hit your lowest bar for awake. Nobody following your work has achieved what you achieved. 

In a certain sense that's true.

I am pretty unique in how psychedelics work on me. Which is why I say you must test everything on yourself and see if it works. I don't expect everyone to get the same results from psychedelics as me. Psychedelic effectiveness is highly dependent on genetics and metabolism.

I just find the idea that you will achieve Sadhguru's results in sleep nearly impossible. This will only happen if you have the right genetics. You will not be able to manipulate your way into it.

Maybe if you meditate all day long every day you can reduce your sleep requirement somewhat. But in my experience even that doesn't work well.

Expecting such outlandish results from this work is likely to cause more suffering than good.

But hey, it's your time and your life. Test whatever methods you want.

The reason I recommend psychedelics is because they are statistically very effective for many people in producing direct experiences of God. Way more effective than meditation. It's that simple.

Yes, my work is not designed for people with serious mental illness. And also, my work is designed to take your mind down some hardcore, dark alleys. I have a bias toward hardcore methods. Which is not suitable for people who are mentally unstable or weak. And even if you are mentally stable my work still comes with real risks and dangers so it must be done very carefully.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura Do you think maybe meditation/yoga too can work exceptionally well on some people? (Or maybe the trick is to do it right)

When I do meditation very rigurously and kind of add my twist to it on how to do it, I get very good results from it in terms of state

It doesn't come as easy as taking some psychedelic dose and requires for you to have concentration vs the psychedelics kinda transform your baseline without much effort on your part

Although if you try to concentrate while on psychedelics it gives even deeper effect of course

5 minutes ago, Hello from Russia said:

@Leo Gura Do you think maybe meditation/yoga too can work exceptionally well on some people? (Or maybe the trick is to do it right)

Yes, that's definitely the case.

However, even so, even when it works really well it still doesn't work as well as a psychedelic works on me.

I do have a bias here in that meditation has never been effective for me, even with intense effort. If meditation is effective for you, definitely use it. My advice is simpy this: find what works best for you and don't waste time on stuff that doesn't because you will drive yourself nuts. I have wasted years on stuff that simply didn't work on me.

Edited by Leo Gura

9 minutes ago, Benton said:

I think it makes sense that if people are generally more restful and less anxious that they would expend less energy. Or that people who are meditative need to sleep less. He isn’t saying to meditate all day. He’s saying to become meditative, or to transform a more fundamental quality of how we are.  And yoga is inclusive to more methods than meditation, which many people find quite effective. I won’t deny that 5-meo can produce God Consciousness quickly.  But there is a lot more to yoga than just meditating. And it produces permanent transformation while 5-meo will bring you back to pretty much where you started after a little. 

Certainly yoga can have benefits. If it works for you, keep doing it.

But I would never tell a yoga student to expect to cut his sleep down to 2-4 hrs. Such results, if possible, are extremely rare and should not be expected.

It is very important in this work to set realistic expectations otherwise you will create a lot of needless suffering for yourself.

Edited by Leo Gura