Theprofessional

What to major in? (passion vs practicality)

19 posts in this topic

I'm 24, undergrad, two years left in college. You've seen this a million times. Everyone is telling me it's time to pick my major.

Up to this point, I've taken many business classes in preparation of studying marketing. After college I want to become a film director, but I know I need to learn finance, sales and marketing and other entrepreneurial things to do this, so that's why I chose this major.

I hit a wall last quarter studying economics and accounting, and I feel like I've been just psychologically recovering since then. I know I could survive going through a marketing major, and my job prospects would be good if I did, but I think it might seriously psychologically damage me to study any more of this.

Today I found out my school also has a film studies major, and a literature major. I would love to study these, but I can already see the mockery I'd get from potential employers, friends, and my family if I did so. But I also feel like studying film and literature is the only way I'll make it with my sanity intact.

What should a student go with? Their passions, or the thing that is most logical and practical?

What matters in college is the networking and connections you make, and just the fact you have a degree at all. Major in whatever you want. Employers don't "mock majors".

Edited by thepixelmonk

@Sabth you know, majoring in film studies vs majoring in marketing. Which one looks better to an employer?

Use that money to invest and start a business lol.

hrhrhtewgfegege

What I did if followed my passion, BUT I was also very practical and knew I needed to develop concrete career plans. So I switched to philosophy, my passion, but I also resolved to develop my game design portfolio and technical skills so I could be hired as a game designer. Which I was.

You need BOTH passion and practicality. Be practical about your passions. Like, if you are gonna study film, have a concrete career plan in mind. Like develop the technical skills of a filmmaker or screenwriter.

No one will mock you if they see you are developing serious technical skill in a craft like writing, art, filmmaking, etc.

You can't just rely on a diploma to get you a career. A diploma means shit. You need to make serious, realistic career plans on your own, outside university work.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

If you've hit a wall studying practical stuff, I'd suggest you follow your passion. 

If you were just out of high-school, I would have different advice for you. I'd tell you to be more practical in the beginning, then as you become more competent and have more doors open, choose the one that you like more as opposed to the one that pays more. 

On 13/06/2023 at 7:14 AM, Theprofessional said:

Today I found out my school also has a film studies

well, there you go. Screw the mockery. In 20 years when half of your business major colleagues are depressed, burned out and hypertensive, you can be the one pulling the middle finger. 

Just go for it. It will be a good start but don't expect job offers straight after school, you may be looking at a life long journey but if you are passionate you will figure it out. 

With that said, before you figure it all out and area ready to transition fully you may need a job to pay your bills so some form of admin work is probably unavoidable for a few years. That is my journey at least. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I would just deal with the issue of money first then follow your passion. I recommend wholesaling real estate, I'm 21 and have been doing it for 2 years and the commission you can get is astronomical. You'll have to do your research on what gets you money with your skills. Once you have your money then make all the movies you want. You don't want to be asking for money at first from your passion, you want to do it from a place of fun and inspiration. Get that money need dealt with first

On 6/13/2023 at 6:35 PM, Theprofessional said:

you know, majoring in film studies vs majoring in marketing. Which one looks better to an employer?

If your really passionate about film you'd be making short films and posting them on youtube tiktok, instagram ect, its 2023 you dont need a degree to have success in more creative based fields.

Anything outside of stem in my opinion is worthless in my opinion, (not the subject or area of study but the cost-benefit of choosing an area of study that doesn't give you ROI) if you are going to college for free thats a different story but if your dishing out 10's of thousands you have a problem.

On 6/14/2023 at 6:35 AM, Theprofessional said:

@Sabth you know, majoring in film studies vs majoring in marketing. Which one looks better to an employer?

Film studies looks better. It's a special niche and implies that the person has knowledge on how to make film and maybe even video editing.

As for marketing, most people can actually read some books on marketing or do some Facebook marketing and show that they are marketing experts with real results. You don't need a degree for that.

@Leo Gura Thank you Leo!!! Be practical about my passions. That's very difficult. But mark my words, I'm going to do it. One day, you'll watch one of my movies in the theater Leo. I guarantee it. You'll just be seeing this movie, and you won't even know it was made by someone who watched Actualized their whole life.

On 6/26/2023 at 10:18 PM, Theprofessional said:

@Leo Gura Thank you Leo!!! Be practical about my passions. That's very difficult. But mark my words, I'm going to do it. One day, you'll watch one of my movies in the theater Leo. I guarantee it. You'll just be seeing this movie, and you won't even know it was made by someone who watched Actualized their whole life.

You should add a line at the end which says: "Made by someone who watches Actualized.org" 

;)

Cheers!

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 6/14/2023 at 7:59 PM, Michael569 said:

well, there you go. Screw the mockery. In 20 years when half of your business major colleagues are depressed, burned out and hypertensive, you can be the one pulling the middle finger. 

Just go for it. It will be a good start but don't expect job offers straight after school, you may be looking at a life long journey but if you are passionate you will figure it out. 

With that said, before you figure it all out and area ready to transition fully you may need a job to pay your bills so some form of admin work is probably unavoidable for a few years. That is my journey at least. 

I agree with this one

On 14/6/2023 at 8:35 AM, Theprofessional said:

Employers don't care about a major in marketing in comparison to say someone who's done an actual marketing job without the degree. 

look into the book  greate work , greate carrear by stephen r covey  . it is very good. it is properly researched.