Juressic

Is it ok to quit 'dream' job after 1 week?

24 posts in this topic

Hey, I just got employed this week as full stack web developer. But as soon as i got employed and started working I've realized that there is so many things I don't know and that I should learn all the time and it's frustrating me because It's hard for me to focus and learn new technologies surrounded with colleges at work and after 8 hours of working I hate looking at screens at home. I hate the thing that i spend whole day at job and in free time I'm still thinking about the job, can't focus on any hobby that I used to love, everything makes me feel depressed. At work i feel useless, when i come home I feel so drained, stressed, and best part is that I don't actually need that money, i can earn enough on my own with web dev, but my family always bragging about my employment status, that i need to work even though i had enough money always...and then I just wanted to get that job that I've thought it would be cool and that i thought I'll love, my plan was to build career, get big salary, but now I see that it was so stupid, that I've unnecessary became a prisoner. Now i feel so stupid to tell my boss that I'd like to quit, after 1 week only, because i said that I'm so happy and excited about the job.. I thought I'll be, but i was wrong

You'll learn things that are more correctly aligned with what actually makes money.

So maybe cut back the hours a bit so you don't burn out?

Don't quit. You will be surprised that most company don't actually sack people for not knowing enough. Company usually sack people due to attitude problem.

Isn’t it nice, living the live that others want you to live?

If you really don’t like it, just quit.

if you just feel challenged maybe it’s good to stay. It’s normal that the first weeks at a new job are challenging. Because everything is new and you have to adopt. After a while you will get used to it though.

I'd say don't quit after just 1 week. Wait at least a month to get a better feel for this job.

Maybe it'll grow on You. Don't get discouraged so soon.

Also I'd suggest You make the effort to get clear about what You like and don't like there. You know, it'll be useful for You in the future. But You're not going to learn after merely a week.

Edited by Sincerity

@Michal__ @Sincerity @universe @hyruga

In 1 hour my boss is coming and I'm still thinking, should I stay or should I go. I know this is challenging and good for my career but actually I'm craving freedom and being my own boss works well for me actually. I feel stupid to suprise my boss but we'll see, he will probably try to change my mind.

Im a web developer, the first week there is a learning curve, it takes 2 weeks or more to get comfortable with the project if its a big one. Stick at it until you learn everything and all the stress goas away. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@integral Learning curve would be 2 months in my case because I lack much of ability of focusing my mind in busy envirnoment, I should practice focusing. I feel like a sponge that is collecting all the information's around except the one that is focusing on. I should have predicted all that but I was too much positive about it and my family was pushing me. I've ignored my greatest value which is freedom and it's great lesson in the end for me. Now I will appreciate my time so much better and I will continue to do my own web dev business more seriously, my clients are still there waiting for me, I was almost canceled them.
It's not easy to quit a job in general I guess, especially when you are working for a longer time, but I've did it one 2 hours ago - on time :) (after 1 week). The only comment of my boss when I've told him whole story and reasons was "It's a shame", but he had empathy for me since I'm very nice and polite.
I think that some of collogues there would like to do the same  but they probably don't have financial freedom and heart to do it, and company would try to hold them back anyway.

I think I've made correct decision. Is it worth to give up your time (9 to 5) while risking of getting burnout syndrome just because of taking some extra money, potential career and maybe growing yourself in some cold heartless way?

Don't get me wrong, I actually think that having a 9 to 5 job is technically awesome thing, but it's just not in align with my values obviously.

These type of challenges really shape you as an individual. Think about how your self esteem might improve after going through a rough period where life felt shitty and very challenging but managed through and took the best of it.

If you quit, quit when your mental state is clear, and feel positive about it rather than wanting to run away because (insert all the excuses your mind is bringing up because it is challenging, ex: doesn't align with your values).

It is good to know that you want freedom and want to have your own business, but do you actually have it? Are you currently in the present generating your same salary through your own business? If yes, then its a no brainer, if not, think about how this job can actually help you to create that freedom, whether if its from skills learned, money saved, etc.

Use those tools to build your business and then quit, don't buy the stories you're telling yourself just because you don't want to go through the learning curve, which honestly 2-3 months is not a lot. You might feel depressed, but life comes with ups and downs, and the rewards of going through this curve will be worth it.

@Juressic All good man, start a AI business does are bound to do well. ;)

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@lizz_luna

I have to admit that my mental state wasn't clear at all. I've realized that I've putted myself in shameful situation and pretending that everything is fine would be worse maybe. Every prolongation was making elephant in the room bigger, because my decision was very clear, so I had to broke the silence and bring the elephant to the table... "Surprise, surprise mdk, he's not too big yet :D "
My business is going very well actually, this month I've earned 1.5x of my defined salary. And best part is that I only need about 10% of it per month. 
My working day is 4 hours long, not 8, the rest is relaxing on a beach with summer vibes. :)

@integral
I was just thinking about A.I. web development this morning, thanks.

Hang in there bud. I made these decisions years ago too and I wish I hadn't. Lots of money and time wasted because of my impulsive decisions. 

You can optimize your life over time but quitting now will most likely shoot you in the foot unless you have a better plan laid out. That will set you back even more. Be honest with yourself.

Edited by PenguinPablo

Contrary to most comments I want to say congrats bro. You listened to your heart, you took an uncomfortable decision out of the scheme of society. You are free. You seem like a smart dude so you can always find another job and if it will be bad you will quit again. No need to dramatize when you have money and  do not have a family to provide for.

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

@PenguinPablo 
I quitted already. I have nice easy business that I want to expand now. I don't need much money and now I also don't want much money anymore. I've realized that chasing money will shoot me in the foot in future for sure. I decided to chase my life purpose instead.

@Arthogaan 
Thanks. Yes, I'm free and thankful again. I always have few thousand dollars in my bank account and I'm acting as I don't have money at all, it gives me freedom to choose things in life actually.

On 2023-04-24 at 5:45 AM, Juressic said:

@Michal__ @Sincerity @universe @hyruga

In 1 hour my boss is coming and I'm still thinking, should I stay or should I go. I know this is challenging and good for my career but actually I'm craving freedom and being my own boss works well for me actually. I feel stupid to suprise my boss but we'll see, he will probably try to change my mind.

Sounds like self deception. You gotta just get through this. I felt like quitting my job a bunch of times but when I got through tit I realized how much growth I had. Reframe the situation.

How can you be your own boss if you can’t get through this? Running a business is very challenging.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Juressic oh, well whatever then. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

12 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

How can you be your own boss if you can’t get through this? Running a business is very challenging.

@Thought Art I already been working before in another company for 8 years and I've been running my own business for 4 years, so it's nothing new to me. I don't think that running a business is very challenging, all you need are clients and knowledge, simple as that. But problem is if your expanses are too high, if you don't have your own home, your garden, then is a problem.

On 4/25/2023 at 5:25 AM, Juressic said:

I already been working before in another company for 8 years and I've been running my own business for 4 years, so it's nothing new to me

Fuck yea, way to bet on yourself and stick with your own values, I was under the impression you were a newbie who got struck with what life is actually like and freaked out.

If your already covering your expenses with the income from your business and have emergency fund money the answer was defiantly a no brainer, stop living life for others life is to short, go after your vision.

Definitely don't keep a job just because you want to maintain the appearance of being "employed".

If you can make money on your own, and you love working for yourself, then do that. However, remember, you will still be working with clients who will boss you around perhaps even worse. Dealing with clients can be a bitch.

But even so, I suggest you stay at your current job for at least a few months and gain as much experience as possible. A new job takes time to get used to. You might grow to like it. Or at the least you will definitively learn that having a 9-5 job is just not for you, and then you can move on without any guilt or regret.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.