Yimpa

Dalai Lama apologizes after video asking child to 'suck' his tongue sparks outcry

260 posts in this topic

@Jwayne

27 minutes ago, Jwayne said:

Shame on you for suggesting that children sucking men's tongues is a normalized part of Tibetan culture. Dalai Lama didn't merely 'stick his tongue out' as a greeting from a distance but said to the boy to kiss him on the mouth and after he did so he requested "and suck my tongue". And then leaned his tongue towards the boy's mouth.

Can you find any examples of Tibetan men asking or joking with children to suck their tongues? Can you find any evidence that this is a joke in Tibetan culture? Are there any other videos where people do this?

Shame on you for suggesting that Tibetan people think pedophilia jokes are okay. You want to 'defend' their culture, but have you asked any Tibetan people what they think? You are highly presumptuous.

Shame on you for being too blind and triggered to engage with me, and this issue fully with many bad faith interpretations instead of taking the time to really read what I said. Stop ridding Hasan or Penguinz0's dicks, and the dicks of the online culture and community outrage and outcry of the crybaby online left over a bad joke.

Tempest in a teapot that you're getting your panties bundled over for nothing.

Edited by Danioover9000

Some want to 'speak for' Tibetan culture when they're not Tibetan themselves. And neither have they asked Tibetan people whether they need someone else to speak on their behalf. Nor have they even asked a Tibetan person their opinion.

And they can't produce any evidence that men asking children to suck on their tongues has anything to do with Tibetan culture. They can't produce any evidence of why adults kissing children on the mouth and asking them to 'suck my tongue' would be funny to Tibetan people.

The nervous laughter in the video is disbelief that the Dalai Lama is being serious and how wildly inappropriate it is, hence His Holiness' apology (which  by the way, were only for his hurtful words, and not even his actions).

Edited by Jwayne

We wrote a book!

Ascetus.com/authors/jwayne

4 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Jwayne

Shame on you for being too blind and triggered to engage with me, and this issue fully with many bad faith interpretations instead of taking the time to really read what I said. Stop ridding Hasan or Penguinz0's dicks, and the dicks of the online culture and community outrage and outcry of the crybaby online left over a bad joke.

Tempest in a teapot that you're getting your panties bundled over for nothing.

Imagine a guru is doing that to your kid. I guess one should not wonder when he gets his ass kicked.

54 minutes ago, Epikur said:

Imagine a guru is doing that to your kid. I guess one should not wonder when he gets his ass kicked.

Danioover9000 probably doesn't have kids, and neither does the Dalai Lama. People without close connection to children through either family or vocation can't relate to why others have a protective instinct towards them. And they can't appreciate the way children experience the world, how impressionable they are, and how trauma forms.

It's not okay to make sexual jokes with children. Nothing even remotively sexually suggestive in any way with children is appropriate. The Dalai Lama's actions were very direct and straightforward, and wrong.

We wrote a book!

Ascetus.com/authors/jwayne

@Jwayne

7 hours ago, Jwayne said:

Some want to 'speak for' Tibetan culture when they're not Tibetan themselves. And neither have they asked Tibetan people whether they need someone else to speak on their behalf. Nor have they even asked a Tibetan person their opinion.

And they can't produce any evidence that men asking children to suck on their tongues has anything to do with Tibetan culture. They can't produce any evidence of why adults kissing children on the mouth and asking them to 'suck my tongue' would be funny to Tibetan people.

The nervous laughter in the video is disbelief that the Dalai Lama is being serious and how wildly inappropriate it is, hence His Holiness' apology (which  by the way, were only for his hurtful words, and not even his actions).

Sticking the tongue out and hugging is Tibetan greeting mate. Also, just because a person doesn't go there and ask themselves what's proper or not, doesn't mean the info's not available online. Also, not they, but I, you refer to me properly instead of whoever they are, cuz this little tango is between me and you.

Stop imposing your western standards of fact checking and humour onto people of a different culture. Oh, we got to do like the west, go around and survey people like it's America and it's a laboratory or academic study. You are Americanizing Tibetans when you go do this. As I said, hugging and showing tongue is a greeting, Dalai Lama kissing and asking the kid to suck his tongue ain't. Just like when in the west I wave a greeting at you the fuck you sign or the birdie, that's not a common greeting, nor when I handshake you and taser you down as a prank is dark humour. 

I think the outcry and outrage is valid and displaced, you should be outraged at kiddie dance competitions in America and America sexualizing children.

Hi, this is a sensitive topic. Conflict is normal with these types of subjects. Knowing that, let’s allow each other to communicate without getting overly heated or making personal attacks. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

3 hours ago, Jwayne said:

It's not okay to make sexual jokes with children. Nothing even remotively sexually suggestive in any way with children is appropriate. The Dalai Lama's actions were very direct and straightforward, and wrong.

Children make sexual jokes with each other all the time. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@Jwayne

4 hours ago, Jwayne said:

Danioover9000 probably doesn't have kids, and neither does the Dalai Lama. People without close connection to children through either family or vocation can't relate to why others have a protective instinct towards them. And they can't appreciate the way children experience the world, how impressionable they are, and how trauma forms.

Objection! Projecting onto me personal attributes that don't apply, and personal attacking.

I agree mostly with the moral outrage and outcry, I understand and empathize with the perceived threat. I'm just asking users here, can you see the humour and amusement of the situation on a meta level? If not that's fine, just say so so we don't argue and debate in heated dogmatic fashion. I'm just trying to jest to lighten the mood a bit, seeing how overly serious this issue is.

We're caught in the language game where meaning is lost in translation, so what I intend as joke maybe misinterpreted as personal attacking, so apologizing in advance if I triggered you.

@Thought Art

1 hour ago, Thought Art said:

Hi, this is a sensitive topic. Conflict is normal with these types of subjects. Knowing that, let’s allow each other to communicate without getting overly heated or making personal attacks. 

I agree, I'll tone myself done on my side of this issue and communicate carefully from now on.

I think it's disgusting and child abuse. Imagine the life of this child, he wasn't only abused but the abuse was filmed. Trauma 10x

I don't care if it's tradition, if that boy is my child I would kill the Dalai lama, the pope or whatever bs they call themselves. 

Masks are falling off, we are in the aquarian age, time to leave the piscean crow, rebel and think for yourself, like Terence McKenna said, no gurus, no masters, follow the plants. Thankfully Leo's content taught us very well that we are our own salvation, we don't need a guru to get something that is already within us. Think for yourself and question authority.

Buddhism is a religion, we have seen over and over all the rape and abuse towards children because of repression of sex, it's no surprise that things like this happen, it disgust me and makes me feel more thirsty for independent and original thinking. 

Everything is coming to light, the Dalai lama asking a child to suck his tongue. What a world xD

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCqtX3EPGsnmWjK76m5Vpbw

Actual video, looks pretty playful to me. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@integral

5 hours ago, integral said:

Children make sexual jokes with each other all the time. 

Maybe some of the time, not all the time that's a bit of a stretch there.?

Can confirm this, as I've plenty of times did sex jokes when I'm as young as 5 years old, humping pillows, I was full of vigorous energy back then. Heard stories of a few of my friends doing adventurous stuff outdoors and camping. Sexual exploration back then was common, as because that age range you literal have no idea what you're doing, but it feels amazing, your skin and nervous system back then is fresh and your mind is still flexible and still radically open minded. Good times then, intense emotional outbursts here and there, with intense relationships with peers. But it also because you don't know, you also don't know the risks as well, or how you come off to other people. I even did self massages along my arms, legs, torso neck and head.

@integral It would be playful is there was no restriction towards sex and physical contact, if they hugged, kissed, licked and sucked each other constantly. Even to say hi the buddhists bow to avoid physical contact. Notice how the spine of the boy is curved, showing that his body is rejecting the "playful act".

Would you put your child in this "playful" situation? 

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCqtX3EPGsnmWjK76m5Vpbw

@integral

29 minutes ago, integral said:

Actual video, looks pretty playful to me. 

Same to me, seems playful. It's all a big misunderstanding between cultures, but no matter how anyone defends or tries to correct the misunderstanding people's fee fees are still hurt and enflamed by the perceived threat of sexual abuse here.

Well, an ah-ha moment arrived to me, and INSIGHT! I realized that this is just like Destiny's situation, people misunderstand his dark humor, and misconstrued his intent to mean that he was using racial slurs or being a rapist with his jokes. He did defend himself well enough, but ultimately no matter how convincing or persuasive you are, if other's minds are made up, they are made up.

@MsNobody different cultures have different standards for what's wrong and what's right. What the Dali Lama did would be considered child molestation in the west, whereas in the East it is just a playful gesture. 

Playfulness or sexual, both are entirely conceivable and no one should pretend to be certain. I'm guessing both contributed to his actions. The certainty in it being just playfulness is a bit more wild though. To those of this opinion, I hope you can see that even if it were a joke it is still inappropriate. Y'all come off as a cross between getting lost in cultural relativism & run-of-the-mill religious apologism for your pet theories and attachments. I just see smug amorality kidding itself as having a detachment that surpasses common social rules. To whom it may apply to, try a little harder to be more receptive towards what many people would think about this. Don't just write people off as being lost in moral outrage. Let your amorality go full-circle and think for yourself, rather than the emotional against the grain way of thinking that comforts you in believing you're above the bullshit. Like yes, we get it, this forum is aware that this sort of thing is the easiest thing for a human to write off as evil. Both perspectives here are in need of some nuance, though not only does one side come off incredibly more weird its also pretending to red pill social packaging while giving thought terminating responses that don't actually contend with the moralistic reactions.

@MsNobody

12 minutes ago, MsNobody said:

@Danioover9000 dark humour or pure darkness due to repressed sexuality? 

I've been naive, but as I integrate the darkness in me I can see it in people.

Similar to this, although in the cases with children it can be more intense because of little impulse control, as well as most children's egos are at the stage of impulsive, so most actions are more intense, emotional and dramatic. I saw children throw eggs at other people's windows, sometimes we misbehaved in classes throwing toys to some other children and the teacher. Being children are like the wild west of rascals or something. Bullying is called rough housing, and sometimes strange games are played amongst peers outdoors or in discovered hiding spots where we dared each other to show off who's pee pee is better. Children are too naïve, strange, radically open minded and so free spirited that they don't know the full consequences.

It can even get so bad, that sometimes we end up with criminal cases where a child attacks and murders another child, or false accusations are made of sexual abuse, just because an older child told them, or an adult told them, or even the child thought it was funny and payback for being grounded or something. And because most cultures hold children in this pedestal of being little angels that do no harm, we tend to mostly blame and mob justice the accused in our tribalism and make their lives a living hell, getting them fired, ostracized and even get attacked, and years later they're found innocent and the children were making those accusations up, which is why court systems exist to manage this backlash and vengeful and vitriolic nature of human beings.

Yeah, both the suppression and the dark humor insight, I wouldn't describe the darkness as pure because a lot of that is impure distorted imagery, sounds and feelings by the mind to either mean more evil or less, some of those memories could be deleted and forgotten by the mind in purpose, false memories created and even is generalized to mean and form something else away from what actually happened, so actually pure darkness is very rare but that's besides the point. Yes, if a person has shadow aspects of the ego's self image (Carl Jung's Architypes) and due to a few negative feedback loops by the environment or other people, that self that is constructed and identified with the negative behavior is surprised down and disowned by the light bodied ego, therefore creating at least 3 parts per constructed identity, one that's a shadow, one that's the idolized version, and another caught between the two creating psychic tension. So, for example, if I have mother issues, then the anima within me is disowned, and that creates a feminine shadow within me, where emotions would be seen as weak, intuition may be seen in a negative light. Therefore, if I come across someone with motherly attributes and qualities to their personality and behavior, at least two things happen: I behave slightly defensive around that person, or I behave in a way that tries to supplicate up to that person, to act too nicely in order to gain that quality which I'm suppressing within me because at this point in time I am not aware I'm creating this lack within me, and falsely think that by over compensating towards this person to regain this lack of quality and self image I disowned. Similar process happens with people you idolize and look up to, literally look up to because you've placed that idol on a pedestal to worship above your own self, thereby creating self worth and self esteem issues and creating false standards of achievement that you'll never attain, because the idol is not equal to you but above yourself. 

1 hour ago, Danioover9000 said:

I've plenty of times did sex jokes when I'm as young as 5 years old

Boys do sex jokes from 8 to 108.