Demeter

Why only some experience enlightenment

37 posts in this topic

Why is it that many people don't experience enlightenment (in which ever shade it may present itself)  even when they feel prepared and are yearning for it. Some people, I gather, take psychedelics for years without the great experience while for others it happens the first time. I am speaking of the great experience of being one with all, universal love etc. 

Of course people will say that you have to be ready for it, and maybe deserve it through preparation, i.e., many years of spiritual practice. That is an easily said and doesn't explain why some will get it if they are not looking for it.

Could you say why you think it happened for you? Was there any particular trigger in your lives, such as years of meditation?

Because the ego is not in control.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

… and to the extent people think they can do something to bring it about, they will chase their own tails, perhaps forever. 

Apparently.

God has a plan for everyone, and God’s Plan is Good.

Karmic inheritance.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

@The Mystical Man Shouldn't this life count for something too? 

I hoped that if loads of people who've experienced God/non-duality thru psychedelics said what they thought worked for them, we might actually be able to make some sense out of it.

Enlightenment happens when you are ready for it to happen. You can prepare for it through meditation, psychedelic exploration, contemplation, etc. but because it is a direct realization, it is impossible to know precisely when you will awaken.

Years (lifetimes?) of preparation may be necessary for some to awaken, and completely unnecessary for others. Your ultimate nature decides and makes it happen when the time is right.

For me, the catalyst was suffering. It opened my eyes enough to realize that I was no longer willing to cling to the conditioned mind. But that was just the first step. The real work has been developing the courage, integrity, and humility to dissolve my aversions and desires. It happens naturally in the light of your essence, sometimes suddenly but more often gradually as a deepening expression of your realization.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

I imagine them lol

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

It's purely a function of state of consciousness.

They are simply in the wrong state. There may be many reasons as to why.

If your state was adjusted in the right way, you could be fully Awake 30 seconds from now. And without that adjustment you will never be Awake no matter what you do.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If your state was adjusted in the right way, you could be fully Awake 30 seconda from now. And without that adjustment you will never be Awake no matter what you do.

But thats only true for God while being "stuck" in some finite form, like being a human. Its always guaranteed to awake at some point. Is it not the Will of God that you can have deep awakening om 5 Meo etc. But not just by sitting in meditation for 1 hour? Its all imaginary from the Absolute. So that means its more complicated than you think @Leo Gura. You can't control your state, so why stress it so much. Allowing and being in natural flow is a much more valuable thing than always going after some super high state, which is always relative in the end. State of consciousness is a very interesting subject, but I feel like you're still too matrialistic about it, if I can put it in that way. There are some other forces at work, than only your brain chemistry. (Not that it isn't a important factor)

@Leo Gura I have also a very interesting question. You don't think that pastlifes have any effects on your chance of awakening and enlightenment in this current life. Than why did someone like "Echkart Tolle" reach a permanent peacefull state? My answers is off course the brain chemistry and the body-mind have a big say to your state of consciousness, but there are other factors and "bodies" at work, and even the souls trajectory. Thats from direct experience. 

Edited by PeaceOut96

You can talk all you want, but in the end state rules everything you think, feel, and know.

You both can and can't control your state.

Edited by Leo Gura

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You can talk all you want, but in the end state rules everything you think, feel, and know.

Off course that can be directly known. Everybody knowns it to some degree. If you are hungry than you think about food and have a strong desire. ?

My point was towards a deeper understanding. That its not all just purely brain chemistry that determines your state. Its very crucial to get the most holistic understanding. 

9 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

True. I get what you mean. Its not that you don't have control as an individual. Like some people bitch about not being in control, thats a lie. But believe me I have a deep experience and say to that matter. 

In my case, I didn't know I was in an awakened state because it happened gradually. I thought I was normal and unawake because of how much people emphasize awakening as an extremely odd and supreme state with colors and visual effects and angels etc. I never got that sudden shift, or I did a few times but not in that pleasant majestic way. Then as I gradually started understanding the truth about myself, I realized that I was already there.

The reason why only some experience it is because most people's practice is too weak and shallow. This is serious stuff and it requires tons of work. You can't just meditate 20 minutes a day and expect enlightenment. It's not very likely to happen that way. You need weeks and months of diligently consistent practice. It's like going to the gym. You can't expect to get very muscular if you go a couple times a month and lift 10 lbs.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

I never even said brain chemistry controls your state. I said there are many factors.

7 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I never even said brain chemistry controls your state. I said there are many factors.

Also add that you're not sure how many factors are there ultimately and how complex the process actually is. It's a complex thing that goes way beyond yours or anyone's here understanding.

Okey, ill stop myself... ? 

Edited by Salvijus

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If your state was adjusted in the right way, you could be fully Awake 30 seconds from now. And without that adjustment you will never be Awake no matter what you do.

I think it has to do with state of ego which blocks the natural progression towards enlightenment of the consciousness. A too weak of a too strong of an ego is not good.

Edited by StarStruck

In Tate we trust

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

My mistake, apologies. Its just that I had a very one sided view of you regarding this. 

32 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

I think it has to do with state of ego which blocks the natural progression towards enlightenment of the consciousness. A too weak of a too strong of an ego is not good.

It has nothing to do with having a strong or weak ego. Its deeper than that. Your ego is part of your survival mechanism, when that gets threatned, than it doesn't matter if you have had a "strong" or "weak" ego. That is in regard of awakening and not some other states.

Edited by PeaceOut96

1 hour ago, PeaceOut96 said:

True. I get what you mean. Its not that you don't have control as an individual. Like some people bitch about not being in control, thats a lie. But believe me I have a deep experience and say to that matter. 

It’s not true. Control as an individual never happens. 

This forum is ostensibly about awakening and enlightenment, yet most of the characters here seem not to have grasped the most fundamental realisation there is: thoughts and actions are not chosen, they just happen. 

How desperate the self is to survive…

Apparently.

It is as if you were a barrier that closes you to the reality of what you are, and in return allows you to have the apparent concrete experience that you are having as a human being. This barrier is extremely solid and in the vast majority of cases it will never be broken, even if you meditate for 25 years. 5 meo dmt breaks down that barrier quite effectively. other psychedelics can do it too, but only in some cases.

when the barrier is broken, it is the total absolute infinity, which is reality. your human experience is seen to be an idea of the infinite mind that is now being created, and infinity in its entirety is open. Can you have this experience in a normal way, every time you meditate for example? I would say extremely rare. some mystic among billions. do it, and you will see how well placed the door that you are is