LoneWonderer

Is it ethical to use ChatGPT to get ahead in life?

26 posts in this topic

So I'm currently at university. Every so often I get homework where I have to spend hours searching for information on a given topic on the web (mind numbing boring work). I've discovered that I can save loads of time if I just ask the AI to find the information for me. However this brings up conflict in me. It feels wrong to use such a powerful tool to basically help me save loads of time searching on the web for the assignments I'm given. 

I guess my question Is whether it ethical and ok to use this tool for such an end? What are your thoughts? 

Edited by LoneWonderer

Depends on what you want.

Are you actually interested in learning this stuff? Yes? Ok, and how good is ChatGPT at helping you learn compared to traditional methods? Better or worse? Depending on the answer, ChatGPT might be ideal or not ideal.

Are you just interested getting high grades? ChatGPT is probably more efficient then.

Otherwise, there's nothing unethical about being efficient and not wasting time.

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

@Osaid yes, in my case I'm not really interested in what I'm learning and my goal is to free up time to do more work for other classes that require it.

The point of school is to learn stuff. As long as it adds to your learning then it is a valid tool.

If you are using it to avoid genuine learning then you are only hurting yourself. You're not cheating the school, you're cheating yourself. You are paying money to go to a school to come out as dumb as when you entered it. If you're gonna do that you might as well just drop out of school and go do something you're interested in.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Using ChatGPT at the university level? How? The last time I checked the bot's answers were passing no scientific rigor.

IMO, it's only good for something like generating a draft of a document or summarizing something to see if it's worth reading.

31 minutes ago, Girzo said:

Using ChatGPT at the university level? How? The last time I checked the bot's answers were passing no scientific rigor.

IMO, it's only good for something like generating a draft of a document or summarizing something to see if it's worth reading.

Universities, at least while getting a bachelor's degree, aren't exactly real science either.

If you're studying something technical just do a bunch of calculus on KhanAcademy,  read a few books related to the specific thing you're studying, don't forget to turn in your homework, come to a lecture once in a while, do some modafinil when studying for an exam or writing a Bachelor thesis and that should be enough.

1 hour ago, Girzo said:

Like, anything. Coding. Writing articles or essays. Searching the web and creating a comprehensive synopsis for you based on what it found.

There was even an article where they banned it in NYC schools. It's a real "threat", in the sense that it undermines previous methods of education: https://ny.chalkbeat.org/2023/1/3/23537987/nyc-schools-ban-chatgpt-writing-artificial-intelligence

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

chatgpt is so fucking insane. it helped me do my taxes a bit today LMAO 

waiting for it do therapy and life coaching. there is one tool right now called wysa but it only administers cbt. needs a few more years to get fully developed 

Edited by Jacob Morres

@LoneWonderer I'd ask 'Do you value the skill of finding the information on your own'?

If you don't see it as a valuable for you, then I think there's little to point to not using ChatGPT.

Be-Do-Have

There is no failure, only feedback

5 hours ago, Girzo said:

A girl I work with used it to write a 500 word essay and got 100%....

She's in high school though lol.

Still...

I'd say efficient isn't bad.  Like, if it takes you 5 minutes to look up the same thing on Google as it would 10 seconds on chatGPT... I dont see a problem.  I'd say go at it.

But, like Leo said, with the caveat that your learning isn't degraded.  Here I'd use your own internal sense of right and wrong.  Does it feel lowly or not when you do it? 

Basically... efficiency is good as long as it stays within the bounds of your integrity. 

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@Matt23 "efficiency is good as long as it stays within the bounds of your integrity."

I like how you said that. Thank you! ?

Is it ethical to use wikipedia?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@LoneWonderer

On 13/01/2023 at 10:49 PM, LoneWonderer said:

So I'm currently at university. Every so often I get homework where I have to spend hours searching for information on a given topic on the web (mind numbing boring work). I've discovered that I can save loads of time if I just ask the AI to find the information for me. However this brings up conflict in me. It feels wrong to use such a powerful tool to basically help me save loads of time searching on the web for the assignments I'm given. 

I guess my question Is whether it ethical and ok to use this tool for such an end? What are your thoughts? 

It'll depend on many factors, from the individual level to the collective level. In this case I say it's okay as long as you mix up methods. 

In my case, part of my LP is an indie or freelance visual artist, and I made a visual noval game, finally. The weaker areas I was suffering from were getting the coding done and finding good music, the art work and drawing was a bit easy and that's where my interest and attention likes to stay and work on. Also, I can't code and draw at the same time, and due to how coding is more difficult than drawing or music it takes up more time. So, I delegated the coding bit to Chat GPT and just copied the code over to my place.

Of course, don't just bow lean on Chat GPT to do all the homework and studying for you, go and give yourself those sweet sweet headaches of textbook knowledge. Study and commit to memory so much that pyramid head would be proud. You won't understand or appreciate it, but one grade difference and the work ethic you get from being a disciplined studebt will be life saving later on, and, one less thing to regret in your deathbed. Don't just go with the 'too cool for school drop out hooligans'. Become the textbook head.

chat-gpt gives you the answer

then the learning begins

the answer is the beginning

what is cool about chat-gpt is not the answers but the fact you can engage with the answers down a deeper rabbit hole than anyone else

@Danioover9000 Thanks! ? I guess what I'm most worried about is just this, relegating my work to an AI and in the process loosing a good work ethic. This is why it feels wrong and why I don't feel right using these technologies. I am deeply aware of how the mentality of working hard will pay dividends in the future.

9 hours ago, LoneWonderer said:

I am deeply aware of how the mentality of working hard will pay dividends in the future.

Ya... but you gotta work smart as well.

You could work 14 hours shifts, 6 days a week delivering parcels for FedEx for your entire working life and maybe end up with an ok pension.  Or you could invent a cool game, sell it for millions, and never work a day in your life again and be wayyyy better off.  (metaphor)  --> thus enabling you to have the financial freedom to live and act in the way you best see fit.  

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@Matt23

27 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

Ya... but you gotta work smart as well.

You could work 14 hours shifts, 6 days a week delivering parcels for FedEx for your entire working life and maybe end up with an ok pension.  Or you could invent a cool game, sell it for millions, and never work a day in your life again and be wayyyy better off.  (metaphor)  --> thus enabling you to have the financial freedom to live and act in the way you best see fit.  

I see you Tim Farris, and that 4 hour work week. Sneaky.