StarStruck

Any value in Freud and Jung?

22 posts in this topic

Their ideas come back in many disciplines in life. I haven’t studied their books directly but from other authors I gained their knowledge. 

I’ve tried reading their original books but they are very long winded and studious. 

Do you think there is any values in reading them? Or are there concise summaries made by other authors that is a better updated read?

Disclaimer: I haven't read either of their works

But the general impression I get is:

Freud: Mostly pseudoscience (everything is caused by wanting to have sex with your mother, etc)

Jung: A lot more practical and has influenced a lot more things. For example, Myers-Briggs/MBTI is based on Jungian psychology, as is many concepts like the ego that we use in personal development.

More so Jung than Freud.

You can find some good explanations and summaries of Jung.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 hours ago, Yarco said:

Freud: Mostly pseudoscience (everything is caused by wanting to have sex with your mother, etc)

...yeah... he only invented psychotherapy... :ph34r:

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Jung believed that psychology bridges the gap between religion and science. His methods and systems have radical healing potential on an alchemical level. He was one of the most awakened men in history. 

Edited by The Rainmaker

Carl Jung was a genius. His contribution is great: the unconscious, archetypes, synchronicity.

I think it's better to watch YouTube videos about his work than to read his writings.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

Carl Jung's work is definitely valuable.

In order to learn more deeply about Jung's work, you probably should learn about the history of psychology/psychotherapy/sociology and more and that means you have to learn Freud's work + other works.

No value whatsoever in Freud or Jung or anything else. They can both be entertaining though (probably Jung more than Freud)

Apparently.

7 minutes ago, axiom said:

No value whatsoever in Freud or Jung or anything else. They can both be entertaining though (probably Jung more than Freud)

This is some bluepilled BS. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyAb said:

How can you even question Jung's value and contribution

If have spoken with a lot of therapists and not one has read the works of Freud and Jung. Why? Because they didn't have to. Their uni's didn't demanded it. The question is proposed is legit. There are very few Freudian and Jungian therapists. At least I have a hard time finding them.

1 hour ago, Raze said:

Freud is very valuable, he is attacked now because of straw man versions of his beliefs that were spread. Ignore the baseless attacks against him.

https://psyche.co/ideas/the-id-and-the-nudge-where-freud-meets-behavioural-economics

That being said, it can be better to read modern psychoanalysis, which has evolved a lot since Freud.

True, criticism on Freud is mostly mouth to mouth. I have never met a person who read his work and had good arguments against him.

2 hours ago, The Mystical Man said:

Carl Jung was a genius. His contribution is great: the unconscious, archetypes, synchronicity.

I think it's better to watch YouTube videos about his work than to read his writings.

Jung is very underrated. Especially his archetypes. I feel like there are very few people who understand it really well. Even on this forum, brothers who are not familiar with Jung are trying to reinvent the wheel.

8 hours ago, The Rainmaker said:

This is some bluepilled BS. 

It’s less than that.

Apparently.

If you guys are interested in Jung and Freud and recommendations on what to read, I would advise you to first read Ken Wilber's 'No Boundary' where he gives recommendations about this exact topics. Excellent book. Concise, to the point, beautifully written. 

Edited by Rasheed

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

Absolutely on the case of Jung from what I read, he seemed to touch an intelligence and an understanding of how to go about touching that intelligence in how he described the indivduation process, yet one thing I've seen is one can be entirely consumed by mental proliferation of the content of consciousness and to what end that goes can be endless. 

Let us remain understanding the goal is Self-realization and the end of suffering

just be here, if you can do it this moment you can do it the next moment

this is the now, now is all that is real, the truth is now, not your concept or experience, just this

is there suffering in this ? work to be done young jedi. me

3 hours ago, Rasheed said:

If you guys are interested in Jung and Freud and recommendations on what to read, I would advise you to first read Ken Wilber's 'No Boundary' where he gives recommendations about this exact topics. Excellent book. Concise, to the point, beautifully written. 

Wilber’s shit is always good. I read integral psychology two years back but it was so dense that I couldn’t digest it all. I have to go back to it I think. 

Edited by StarStruck

Depending on how much free time you, I think you’re better off watching Leo’s meaning, value, and purpose vid, and “how to contemplate with a journal” vid.

Freud and Jung's works are recognized as important psychology fields by academics all over the world and these should mean something. 

Or at least you can get a degree/master/PhD through studying these work.

Better than studying the world cup but you don't get a degree for that.

Seems like some of you live in a bubble. Most therapists I have spoke to haven’t read t Freud and Jung. Some therapists said they are outdated. Usually a bad therapist can be filtered out just by asking if they read Freud and Jung.