ThePoint

Leo, how do you handle the controversy surrounding your name and brand?

22 posts in this topic

The main reason why I am asking this question is because I've realized that I have a huge attachment to my reputation. I want to learn how the hell Leo deals with people trying to tarnish his reputation because they misinterpret him.

If you simply just google "Leo Gura" or "Actualized.org", on the very first page you will see multiple results of critiques of him, a Rational Wiki page, Reddit posts and Quora posts telling people to "be wary of him" and saying that he is a scam, etc.

If I was in Leo's position, I would be really anxious and fearful. Everything on the internet is immortalized. Once it's out there, it's permanently out there. Everything you say or do on the internet can be permanently tied to your name, brand, and reputation.

And Leo knows that most people will misinterpret him, because he just says things how it truly is. If he didn't want to be misinterpreted he would simply not communicate the Truth as it is (e.g. "You are God" "I am God") etc. In fact that is what most spiritual teachers do, they withhold a lot of teachings and instead let people realize the Truth for themselves, so they don't say it the way Leo does because of how many people would misinterpret what's being communicated.

How do you do it Leo? I want to learn and implement whatever it is you do to not be phased by the controversy.

Don't wait for things to get better. Take proactive action.

It's nothing to even think about. Just follow your life purpose.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

48 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Leo Gura

How is it nothing to think about? It hurts the image people have of you and it hurts the business side of your life purpose. 

I don't understand how you are so calm about it Leo. I really admire your ability to say what you want to say without any concern for how polarizing you may seem to many people. 

Do you fear getting killed because of what you teach? It seems like the most selfless people have the shortest lives because they tend to be a huge target due to their teachings seeming so threatening to the collective ego (society). 

Have you ever gotten death threats? 

This is an odd place. 

Edited by SourceCodo

Gone

People like Osho have had the same treatment and even little bits of it follow Sadhguru but what they teach is gold

It's better to polarize. The people who love you will actually love you. When you try to appeal to everyone, that's when you're truly alone.

It's Love.

6 hours ago, ThePoint said:

How is it nothing to think about?

Focus on what matters.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, RendHeaven said:

It's better to polarize. The people who love you will actually love you. When you try to appeal to everyone, that's when you're truly alone.

@RendHeaven

But I think Leo has done more damage to his brand with how upfront he is than good.

Sure, there is a small minority of us who admire him even more for how brave he is, but I'm sure the majority of people think he's gone crazy. Because the majority = Stage Orange. 

5 hours ago, SourceCodo said:

This is an odd place. 

@SourceCodo What is an odd place?

3 hours ago, Gidiot said:

People like Osho have had the same treatment and even little bits of it follow Sadhguru but what they teach is gold

@Gidiot Really? I don't think the treatment they got was as bad as the treatment Leo gets though. Not only are there pages and pages critiquing Leo, there are literally entire channels dedicated to "exposing" him and making a joke out of him. 

Imagine having entire channels and pages dedicated to tearing you down. I wish I had the ability to not give a fuck like Leo does, I still don't understand how he does it. 

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Focus on what matters.

@Leo Gura

Brand and reputation helps with meeting material needs like financial freedom. Doesn't that matter?

Another question: Would you say that people care more about the value you provide rather than your personal story? I am curious to know whether telling your audience your personal story is beneficial, and if so, how beneficial it is.

Seems like everyone gets shit flung on them. When you are providing so much value, it doesn't matter if a few people get turned away.

Everybody gets trolls.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

13 hours ago, ThePoint said:

Brand and reputation helps with meeting material needs like financial freedom. Doesn't that matter?

Leo's brand already provides him with complete financial freedom.

13 hours ago, ThePoint said:

Leo, there are literally entire channels dedicated to "exposing" him and making a joke out of him.

Dude these videos don't even have 1k views lmao. That channel is literally nothing. How are you getting so worked up over this. Leo's channel gets millions of views and makes him hundreds of thousands of dollars because of the massive value it provides.

@ThePoint Ive also contemplated on dealing with hate/dislike from others, the realization i've come to is that if you're successful at anything you will have people who strongly dislike you for numerous reasons ranging from different believes all the way to insecurity especially if you build an online brand.

Here's an experiment search up your top 5 favorite content creators on youtube or google and add the word "exposed" or "scam" see what nonsense your going to get its impossible to build a brand and not have people dislike you.

Imagine those creators had the same mentality as you and gave up because a small minority disliked the brand. Focus on your impact embrace the people who follow you and focus on your craft. You dont want to be 60 years old or on your deathbed and think "if only I didnt care so much about what random people thought of me I could have done something great."

Only you can know the place where your coming from and where your heart lies try to be open to criticism from people you respect and you'll be fine

On 6/30/2022 at 5:39 AM, Leo Gura said:

yes, you can just sleep over 99 % off and then maybe attend 1 %.

Not even sure why this is a topic. Hate is an expression of love. People only hate that which threatens what they love. What ever threatens you, you respect. To respect something is to hold it in high esteem. This means you revere it, because you see it as more powerful than you under the right circumstances. This means it will attract your attention. What ever you focus on you love, the same way you obsess over your addictions, you obsess over your fear, So if someone hates you, it is because they love you. Its a twisted form of love but its love nonetheless. 

Anyone you don't care for, you won't pay attention too. Its why in relationships in dating the worst thing someone can feel for you is nothing. If they are mad at you they still have feelings for you, and if they are happy with you they have feelings for you. We only have feelings for what matters to us, so if someone has feelings for you...YOU MATTER to them. 

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

On 7/1/2022 at 2:47 PM, Bando said:

Imagine those creators had the same mentality as you and gave up because a small minority disliked the brand. Focus on your impact embrace the people who follow you and focus on your craft. You dont want to be 60 years old or on your deathbed and think "if only I didnt care so much about what random people thought of me I could have done something great."

Only you can know the place where your coming from and where your heart lies try to be open to criticism from people you respect and you'll be fine

You're right. But I am not saying I would give up because of criticism. I am just worried about how it would affect my ability to actualize making a living from my life purpose. 

21 hours ago, Applegarden8 said:

yes, you can just sleep over 99 % off and then maybe attend 1 %.

What are you saying?

1 hour ago, ThePoint said:

What are you saying?

You don't need to attend most rumors, blackmail attempts, lies about you and other strategies that people who hate you will try to pull of. You can sleep of alot of that stuff. But some you will have to attend.

17 hours ago, Applegarden8 said:

You don't need to attend most rumors, blackmail attempts, lies about you and other strategies that people who hate you will try to pull of. You can sleep of alot of that stuff.

@Applegarden8 How do you know you don't need to attend them?

17 hours ago, Applegarden8 said:

But some you will have to attend.

Like what? Examples? 

@ThePointYou have to take into account that Leo has nothing better to do and I would probably agree if I were to live his life and more in mine as well. To him, sacrificing his reputation is worth it because he has nothing to lose.

On 7/3/2022 at 2:46 AM, ThePoint said:

@Applegarden8 How do you know you don't need to attend them?

Like what? Examples? 

It's up to the person to decide. For example you do not need to worry about a video being made of you, buy you need to take action aginst a lawsuit aginst you.

How do I know? I have some personal experience. If a person says for a very long time he is going to beat me trough the wall, but when i meet him he says nothing to me, i know it's a bluff and no beating up ain't gonna happen. And basically everything from that persons mouth is a bluff, but they say all kinds of things... I am still waiting for that.

Edited by Applegarden8