Leo Gura

Mega-Thread Of Every Trap Within Self-Help & Spirituality

127 posts in this topic

1. Being set in your ways / close-mindedness

2. Not caring about growth at all / staying in your comfort zone / complacency

3. Not seeking help / thinking you can do everything alone

4. Having no direction in your life / lack of purpose (doesn't have to be realized yet)

5. Not embracing challenge / wishing things to be easy

6. Giving up on life / losing hope

7. Not having fun with life / taking life too seriously

8. Not taking life seriously enough / wasting time doing things that don't matter

9. Living in fear / not having courage to take necessary action

10. Not mastering anything / being "paralyzed" by all the options that you end up dabbling too much

11. Neglecting body health / eating poorly

12. Seeking approval from others

13. Hedonism

14. Asking poor quality questions / not asking questions at all

15. Not setting boundaries with people / Not respecting yourself or your time

16. Having no integrity

17. Taking everything personally / thinking everything is about you

18. Wasting hours and hours on social media

19. Not respecting psychedelics (eyeballing, overdosing, etc.)

20. Doing spirituality but neglecting basic human survival (having a job/career, paying bills, schoolwork, etc.)

6 hours ago, Loving Radiance said:

This thread reads like my biography :D

I might just print it off and sell it as my own jk jk ;)

I like when I read in a Vernon Howard book he said "It's good to see the bad in yourself"

another good one is -

1. Being fooled by peoples ‘spiritual’ outward appearance 

2. not realizing people are splintered 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Obsession of avoiding traps and striving for some perceived perfection. 

- Not being skeptical enough (about others teachings as well as your own mind)

- Not investigating the Truth for yourself / Just blindly believing the teachings

- Seeing the Ego / Mind as an evil enemy

Also:

- Being TOO skeptical and thus and not being open-minded enough :D

- getting lost in stories about aliens, angels and so on.

- Believing that everything is "energy" (instead of conciousness / love)

- Not letting go of the materialist paradigm (conciousness needs a brain to appear, etc)

- Developing a spirtual ego

- Thinking you only need to Awaken, and then do no more personal development work (Not working on the Stages)

- Believing after one big enlightment experience, that you have it all figured out now

- Misinterpreting an Awakening (Believing only You are God and no one else, Believing Christianity is the only true religion because you saw Jesus, etc)

- Not contemplating Nihilism until the end / Not seeing that because everything is empty, its actually the greatest opportunity for your life

Going full Conor Murphy. Never go full Conor Murphy ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

believe that spirituality is a science that must be learned little by little, from different teachers, progressing every day. believing that you are level 2 dan that you are much better than those who are in their first year, but that you are still very far from your teacher who wears monk clothes and always has a beatific smile, but who already admits you in his circle, and be very proud of it. to think that you are still far away but that thanks to your hard work you are getting closer, when you are walking in circles feeding your ego because you ve not balls to jump to the abyss 

some more based on Leo’s “Full Murphy” comment 

1. Thinking you are the chosen one or that you are being called to do something for God like win a grand tournament 

2. Taking psychedelics and live streaming yourself to friends and family or clients

3. Thinking that taking a psychedelic means a permanent change in “physically reality” and the workings on the world ? 

4. Letting your fantasies run your spirituality instead of deconstructing them

5. Abusing psychedelics 

6. Not listening to wiser more grounded people telling you that you are ungrounded and unwell

7. Not going slow and building a foundation of habits, epistemology etc

8. Confusing spiritual work with non-stop fun, ecstasy and excitement 

9. Trying to make a show of yourself 

10. Thinking you are Jesus or that you are here to pull some kind of wild stunts to awaken man kind

11. Thinking you can tell the future of some kind of divine awakening or mass event or divine plan 

12. Thinking that being loving means giving always all your money and losing healthy boundaries and security to others (Conor gave his banking information away to the public)

13. Abusing others in the name of your spiritual schemes

14. Losing connection to reality and the social constructions and culture which you are a part of

15. letting your ego and mental health issues run you and destroy your career, reputation, and financial health.

16. Ignoring the warnings that material is “advanced, I mean ADVANCED”  

17. thinking you can go from low conscious sex and prank videos to high level spiritual teacher in just a few short weeks, months or days

18. Thinking you are ready to teach when you are very clearly mentally ill

19. As Leo would put it “Making a Mockery of this work”

20. Losing connection to the long term consequences of your actions 

21. saying you are following “such and such” teaching, when really you have bastardized it into some sick form of zen devilry 

… a spiritual person does by not doing. 

and I think an important one… Yes, even if in your past you have gone “Full Conor Murphy” or even partially “Murphy”…

Keep going, work through that shame and embarrassment, learn from your lesson, become a better person, learn from the mistakes, love yourself, forgive yourself, ground yourself, acknowledge your evil, deluded, selfish, self deceptive ways…. Then, 

Continue to work on yourself and build a life of wisdom, integrity, consciousness and principles.

Past mistakes and bad behaviour is no excuse not to work on yourself not love yourself or your path.

Others may have gone “Full Murphy” and we’d be naming it after them. So, alchemize this bad thing into a good thing. Sometimes showing the world what not to do, can be good. Unfortunately for Conor is he was famous. Many of us here working through our own deluded bullshit have the luck of being nobodies. Let’s not kick Conor around for too long.

We want to see Conor be stable, healthy and successful helping the world in whatever way he chooses. Seems he is moving his brand towards helping people get over social anxiety.

And always remember that “I” love you and that “I” want what is best for you and all whom you touch in this life.

Forever forgiven, forever loved and forever understood. This love is unconditional. 

Put human relation is not. 

Personally, I was a bit ungrounded a year or two ago and found being able to watch Conor go through his shit was helpful in grounding me and what not to do. I followed him very closely and I actually warned the forum that he was. Zen Devil when he was commenting here months before his break downs really took off. 

It was this that inspired me to… slow down with my life purpose. Study new forums of spiritual practice like Qigong. Learn accounting and marketing, and build my life a better foundation and continue with the readings, the contemplations, the observing, the cleaning out of fantasy and shadow materials, that grounding in wisdom, consciousness and principles. 

I am not yet wise. But, each day I lay a stone in its name. 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

1. Deceivingly switching between absolute and relative perspectives.

2. The “I-don’t-exist-or-have-control-therefore-I’ll-lay-in-my-bed-all-day” attitude.
Edited by Inception

“A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears" - Michel de Montaigne

Being closed. Assuming you already know. Taking easy or basic stuff for granted as if you already knew its full implications. 

Confusing knowing the theory with actual practice. 

Being too abstract and conceptual, not being grounded.

Another trap is when you deconstruct your mind... when it becomes groundless you end up stepping on false stones.. this could lead to going "fully murphy".

◭"89"

• Idolizing a teacher. Not expanding your information intake's sources. Being too quick to believe someone you admire
  • Not following any teacher's advice, being too individualistic, overrating your skills as a beginner
  • Feeling a need to fill your plate full with activities and knowledge. Avoiding silence and stillness. Thinking that "more is more" xD
  • Instantly dismissing counterintuitive answers and solutions
  • Being a liar. The more you progress, the more you realize you're full of shit
  • Assuming consciousness work happens "elsewhere", instead of in your life and experience as it is now
  • Taking hard-won knowledge for granted (it can also be minor, subtle or abstract)
  • Not recognizing the healing power of simple awareness (like becoming aware of the root of an emotion or behavior)
  • Holding pragmatism and gross achievement and things as the greatest values
Edited by UnbornTao

Toxic spirituality (combined with toxic masculinity): Getting lost/trapped in suicidal thinking and nihilism when it comes to spirituality, thinking that it is the "highest" one can go, and pushing it on others as the highest truth.

Edited by puporing

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ Shining Ray ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

28 minutes ago, puporing said:

thinking that it is the "highest" one can go, and pushing it on others as the highest truth.

Can you think of any example of who does this?

1 hour ago, thisintegrated said:

Can you think of any example of who does this?

Yes seen it quite a few times on this forum, but not going to name anyone.

Edited by puporing

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ Shining Ray ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

17 minutes ago, puporing said:

Yes seen it quite a few times on this forum, but not going to name anyone.

L-Leo who?!?!?!

I don't know any Leos!!

Edited by thisintegrated