Terell Kirby

Tips to avoid spiritual bypassing

36 posts in this topic

Spiritual bypass or spiritual bypassing is a "tendency to use spiritual ideas and practices to sidestep or avoid facing unresolved emotional issues, psychological wounds, and unfinished developmental tasks". 

How many of you have experienced this, and what did you do to avoid it?

You have to simultaneously do psychotherapeutic work and spiritual work and not treat spiritual work as somehow superior (because it isn't.)  Spiritual seeking is fundamentally spiritual bypassing.  You can't be like "oh, getting enlightened will automatically solve all my problems." At best, it will make it easier to work on them.

Edited by SeaMonster

27 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

Spiritual bypass or spiritual bypassing is a "tendency to use spiritual ideas and practices to sidestep or avoid facing unresolved emotional issues, psychological wounds, and unfinished developmental tasks". 

I try to look inwards and see what I am seeking and desiring. For example, I want a lot of hot sex with a variety of girls + to experience a deep relationship with one. Therefor I let myself work towards that.

At the same time, I see clearly that I will trancend it and discover that it won't fullfill me really quickly.  Conciousness alone is curative. Do whatever you want to do.. sometimes it can be good to overindulge in stuff, if you do it consciously.

God's Love and highest wish is whatever you want to experience. Trust that your desire and direction will lead you home

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

40 minutes ago, SeaMonster said:

You can't be like "oh, getting enlightened will automatically solve all my problems."

Totally agree, I think many seekers fall into this trap. I believe it’s better to look at spirituality as one of many tools to enable a better life, not the sole tool. This was deep realization I had.

26 minutes ago, SamC said:

God's Love and highest wish is whatever you want to experience.

Yes.

26 minutes ago, Benton said:

I was really bad about it for a while. But if you are really into spirituality you will realize avoidance won’t get you anywhere.

Totally, for a while I was subconsciously hoping I could outsource all my issues to spirituality, only to find that my problems didn’t go away, it just made me more conscious of them lol.

27 minutes ago, gettoefl said:

thanks!

Being self-aware.. awareness of what you still want to experience/heal. 9_9

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

Always process the UNcomfortable thoughts and feeling you have. Nothing else can solve your problems from their root, no matter how many psychedelics you will do.

Edited by Nivsch

🌻 Stage Yellow emerges when Green starts to have tolerance and respect to the variety of views within HIMSELF. Israelis here? Let me know!

2 hours ago, puporing said:

Being self-aware.. awareness of what you still want to experience/heal. 9_9

+1

43 minutes ago, nistake said:

Being brutally honest with yourself is a great way to avoid it.

+1

23 minutes ago, Nivsch said:

Always process the UNcomfortable thoughts and feeling you have. Nothing else can solve your problems from their root, no matter how many psychedelics you will do.

Yes, from my understanding .. psychedelics allow the uncomfortable feelings to bubble up to the so that they can then be processed.

Edited by Terell Kirby

4 hours ago, Terell Kirby said:

What I did was stop writing on this forum for about a year or two and grounded myself in direct experience. That really helped to create some distance from the mind and gain clarity.

10 minutes ago, WelcometoReality said:

What I did was stop writing on this forum for about a year or two and grounded myself in direct experience. That really helped to create some distance from the mind and gain clarity.

Thanks for sharing .. I should probably consider the same, for other social platforms as well

9 hours ago, Terell Kirby said:

Looks like you’re falling into the trap of trying to bypass spiritual bypassing. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

10 hours ago, SeaMonster said:

You have to simultaneously do psychotherapeutic work and spiritual work and not treat spiritual work as somehow superior (because it isn't.)  Spiritual seeking is fundamentally spiritual bypassing.  You can't be like "oh, getting enlightened will automatically solve all my problems." At best, it will make it easier to work on them.

1000000 % Agree

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

32 minutes ago, BipolarGrowth said:

Looks like you’re falling into the trap of trying to bypass spiritual bypassing. 

Hmm .. maybe, but i dont think thats a bad thing?

It's not that we can completely avoid spiritual bypassing .. it happens. My goal is to be able to notice it, and its limitations.

2 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

Hmm .. maybe, but i dont think thats a bad thing?

It's not that we can completely avoid spiritual bypassing .. it happens. My goal is to be able to notice it, and its limitations.

It was just a joke ?

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

4 minutes ago, Galyna said:

The whole of spirituality is designed to bypass   facing the truth, to avoid the discomfort of doing the real work.

Almost all of spiritual people are spiritual bypassers.

Why does spirituality exist?

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

10 hours ago, Terell Kirby said:

I kept doing it until it caused so much suffering that I couldn't take it anymore :)

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 minute ago, Galyna said:

It doesn’t matter

That's not an answer to my question. If you don't know, say I don't know. I won't beat you over the head for that, but maybe for this xD

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

15 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

Why does spirituality exist?

Why does self-realization exist.

Why does waking up exist.