T_i_m

Meanwhile in Russia

40 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, axiom said:

My advice to you is to look at the news / propaganda from both sides. Strip out conflicting information, and you may be left with a kernel of something at least vaguely resembling truth. 

Putin talks about Neo Nazism in Ukraine, and so does a lot of Western Media, although most of its investigative reporting into the matter was prior to the breakout of war.

Putin took a huge risk on his reputation. Huge. Where's he going now? He can't fix this. He underestimated this so badly in the age of cancel culture. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

4 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Putin took a huge risk on his reputation. Huge. Where's he going now? He can't fix this. He underestimated this so badly in the age of cancel culture. 

Cancel-culture is the last thing he needs to worry about. He deep-dived his country towards economic catastrophy, but in his eyes it's all worth it as long as he can claim Ukraine.

Glory to Israel

7 minutes ago, Scholar said:

Cancel-culture is the last thing he needs to worry about. He deep-dived his country towards economic catastrophy, but in his eyes it's all worth it as long as he can claim Ukraine.

I think that’s what she meant when she says cancel culture.

Society canceled Russia en masse for this.  Sanctions out the ass and tons of banning.  It’s gonna hurt badly.

Edited by hoodrow trillson

11 minutes ago, Scholar said:

Actually the cancel culture itself is going to cause a ton of harm. A lot of people take cancel culture lightly. There's nothing light about it. Money can come back but not reputation. Now no country wants to even look at Russia. Any country supporting Russia will be seen as a traitor to the world. Sanctions are going to create chaos in Russia. Russians in general are going to be seen with hate although the world is still welcoming of them. All of this is going to be difficult for Putin. He has lost his reputation in a colossal way causing most countries to immediately turn against Russia at least psychologically. If Russia suffers an economic crisis in the midst, no country will extend help. It's how individuals and celebrities lose business contracts and deals when canceled. Russia will lose out on deals, if no business then Russian economy will begin to dry up. All of this was never calibrated for because Putin never thought that Ukraine would make a big deal. He never thought this will blow up in the international media, he was looking for a quick surrender from Ukraine. So it didn't go according to plan and backfired in his face badly. He is now an outcast to the rest of the world, further isolating his position. He took for granted that political leaders cannot afford to lose image. 

In this department, Justin Trudeau is a winner. He knows how to keep his image neat. 

It's a skill Putin didn't focus on. 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

4 minutes ago, hello1234 said:

Meanwhile Ukrainian kids

2B2577BF-EF52-4597-A17E-B184D2A91CE0.jpeg

3AA4C4E5-F37D-467E-AE5F-2AD7655E42E6.jpeg

Where is this image from?

Apparently.

I kinda wanted this topic to be about what's happening in Russia, not about horrors of war 

11 minutes ago, T_i_m said:

I kinda wanted this topic to be about what's happening in Russia, not about horrors of war 

This was in response to someone writing about russian kids being detained.

1 hour ago, hello1234 said:

This was in response to someone writing about russian kids being detained.

And what are you trying to say with this response? What's your point?

1 hour ago, T_i_m said:

And what are you trying to say with this response? What's your point?

That russians are not doing nearly enough to stop the war. Being detained is nothing compared to being bombed to death. Of course still better than russians who are being pro-war.

Edited by hello1234

13 minutes ago, hello1234 said:

That russians are not doing nearly enough. Being detained is nothing compared to being bombed to death. Of course still better than russians who are being pro-war.

I'm just trying to show how surreal things can get in this country. 

8 hours ago, axiom said:

My advice to you is to look at the news / propaganda from both sides. Strip out conflicting information, and you may be left with a kernel of something at least vaguely resembling truth.

I'm trying to find statistics of how many Americans actually support Russia, and it's literally not even a poll that anyone is doing. Either out of malice, or because it doesn't even occur to the US mainstream media that it could be a possibility.

You can find stats on what % of Americans support direct military action in Ukraine, sanctions in Ukraine, etc.

But literally no one is asking how many Americans support Russia.

During covid they at least told us how many people were for/against mandates, vaccines, etc. Not telling us what % are for/against Russia just seems really fishy.

I bet you it's 10%, at least.

18 hours ago, vladorion said:

Not much different from a country like Canada in that sense.

.... Really?  C'mon... I don't see how you can equate Canada to being a totalitarian shit hole like Russia.  This is like saying ice cream is just as shitty as mud since it's also equally as mushy.  

I just think you're making an unrealistic and unfair comparison.  

Where would you prefer living?  Realistically; Canada or Russia?

17 hours ago, axiom said:

In December last year, Russia proposed a UN resolution against Neo Nazism and glorification of Nazism. Canada was the only Western country to abstain from voting.

Perhaps this is because since at least 2018, Canada has been funding, providing weaponry and assisting in the training of Neo Nazi militias in Ukraine. This includes the Azov Militia which is now, absurdly, part of the Ukrainian National Guard.

I think it's fair to say that no matter where you are, what country you live in, there will be corruption and things you disagree with and deam bad and immoral.  Fair enough.  

But consider it's a matter of degrees here.  Like, ya, you can nit pick all the shitty things Canada or other Western nations have done, but compare that to the way Putin and his government run Russia (literally trying to assassinate political opponents like Nivalny, and most likely rigging elections leading to Putin's 20+ year reign.  I'm sure there's a ton more dirty stuff that government has done and ways that are far worse than the dirty things Western countries do).  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

I’m in Russia. Leaving it next week with my girlfriend. Don’t know when we will be back but we are set to live abroad for years so we will be fine. Hope things calm back down soon. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mc-donalds-joins-corporate-americas-exit-from-russia-with-closure-of-850-restaurants-183619416.html

“McDonald's, Starbucks, Coca-Cola join corporate America’s exit from Russia. McDonald's Corporation (MCD) said Tuesday the U.S.-based fast-food giant will temporarily close all restaurants in the country and pause operations in its Russian market.”

“We serve millions of Russian customers each day who count on McDonald’s” - poison, they mean? 

As if it’s a bad thing that Russians will no longer have access to this garbage and will be forced to switch to consuming some actual food.

Edited by K Ghoul

On 3/2/2022 at 10:49 AM, Leo Gura said:

When the first McDonalds opened in Moscow we would stand in line for 5 hours to get in.

Just heard that McDonald's is closing down all of its locations throughout Russia, and that Starbucks is doing so as well.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

4 hours ago, K Ghoul said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mc-donalds-joins-corporate-americas-exit-from-russia-with-closure-of-850-restaurants-183619416.html

“McDonald's, Starbucks, Coca-Cola join corporate America’s exit from Russia. McDonald's Corporation (MCD) said Tuesday the U.S.-based fast-food giant will temporarily close all restaurants in the country and pause operations in its Russian market.”

“We serve millions of Russian customers each day who count on McDonald’s” - poison, they mean? 

As if it’s a bad thing that Russians will no longer have access to this garbage and will be forced to switch to consuming some actual food.

True. Garbage companies like McDonald's shouldn't be allowed to come back even when they want to.