Julian gabriel

Why do humans make art?

34 posts in this topic

Most people seem to think that art is made simply in the pursuit of beauty, but it seems to me to be more of a higher mode of communication, which humans reach for when they have just encountered a part of the unknown which is so far outside their model of the world that they can't describe it without art. 

So then someone would create art about falling in love, not because love just feels so good, but rather because they have absolutely no fucking idea wtf just happened to them, but still need a way to express it. 

Then reality would be the art that god makes to explore the unknown of itself, in the same way that as humans make art to explore the unknown of themself. 

Creating beauty to marvel at.

700485.jpg

Edited by Husseinisdoingfine

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

37 minutes ago, Tim Ho said:

What is beauty thou?  This picture is so boring, I would never buy it or hang it on the wall.

obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

i like the picture.

A human is the artwork of God.

Why does one create art, simply out of love for being.  

Self-expression or expression of the divine if it calls to them.

1 hour ago, Tim Ho said:

What is beauty thou?  This picture is so boring, I would never buy it or hang it on the wall.

If you don't appreciate classical art, than you are blind. You eyes might medically be working fine, but metaphysically, spiritually, you are blind.

If you cannot appreciate classical music, you are deaf. Medically, your ears might be working fine, but metaphysicaly, spiritually, you are deaf

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

The trance of aristocrats over the corpses of the poor.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

For the depiction of expression which are occassionally exceptional. Some times during old age art was also used as means of communication.

Art is an example of "analog communication" as opposed to "digital communication". A picture is worth a thousand words.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

14 hours ago, Gianna said:

Because it reflects themselves back to them :x 

@Gianna

That's such a simple explanation though. I mean, why would they want to see themselves reflected? Just to see what they look like? like a mirror?

I understand that this question can be answered on many levels but I think that answering it so simply doesn't really provide much insight.

Because you could say that about literally everything that humans do. (that they do it t reflect themselves to to them) 

But why art specifically? why a painting rather than just a just looking in the mirror? why a song rather than just a conversation?

Edited by Julian gabriel

1 hour ago, Julian gabriel said:

@Gianna

That's such a simple explanation though. I mean, why would they want to see themselves reflected? Just to see what they look like? like a mirror?

I understand that this question can be answered on many levels but I think that answering it so simply doesn't really provide much insight.

Because you could say that about literally everything that humans do. (that they do it t reflect themselves to to them) 

But why art specifically? why a painting rather than just a just looking in the mirror? why a song rather than just a conversation?

I agree, the simplicity of the answer doesn't provide much insight for those who don't have reference for the deeper implications. So the deeper implications can sound/feel like this: 

Let's say that you're creating something and you don't really know why or where your desire or inspired beauty of the creation is coming from. You're kind of creating from your subconscious mind, so to speak. Well, the subconscious mind is not something we have access to, consciously. In other words, we don't have conscious understanding of our subconscious mind, that's why we call it subconscious. But when you create something out of this subconscious field you now have a physical representation of it that you can look at, analyze, and understand with more crystalized meaning.

So, for example,  let's say you create something like an art piece, or photography, of something that is emo. The emo-ness is coming from a subconscious feeling of depression, despair, or sadness, but on a conscious level, you see the beauty of it which is why you make it into art. Art is highlighting facets of reality that you see as beautiful. So in this sense, art can be really healing because it's almost like you are integrating the part of your subconscious that is sad, depressed, and in despair by joining it (by creating the art from it) and then shining your love and light on it (by consciously seeing its beauty, purpose, meaning). 

I hope that makes sense! And answers your question for 'why art'. Art is very healing, and integrative, and beautiful. And having those things (which come from the inside) reflected in your outside/external reality is quite a remarkable experience. It provides knowledge, understanding, appreciation, more love, more ideas, and thus more expansion. This is the entire purpose of the 3rd-dimensional reality we are living in. It's a learning and loving hologram we created for ourselves to see ourselves and to expand ourselves. 

Also, Leo has an episode titled What is Art. I think it's one of his strongest episodes. I highly suggest listening to it. 

4 hours ago, Gianna said:

I agree, the simplicity of the answer doesn't provide much insight for those who don't have reference for the deeper implications. So the deeper implications can sound/feel like this: 

Let's say that you're creating something and you don't really know why or where your desire or inspired beauty of the creation is coming from. You're kind of creating from your subconscious mind, so to speak. Well, the subconscious mind is not something we have access to, consciously. In other words, we don't have conscious understanding of our subconscious mind, that's why we call it subconscious. But when you create something out of this subconscious field you now have a physical representation of it that you can look at, analyze, and understand with more crystalized meaning.

So, for example,  let's say you create something like an art piece, or photography, of something that is emo. The emo-ness is coming from a subconscious feeling of depression, despair, or sadness, but on a conscious level, you see the beauty of it which is why you make it into art. Art is highlighting facets of reality that you see as beautiful. So in this sense, art can be really healing because it's almost like you are integrating the part of your subconscious that is sad, depressed, and in despair by joining it (by creating the art from it) and then shining your love and light on it (by consciously seeing its beauty, purpose, meaning). 

I hope that makes sense! And answers your question for 'why art'. Art is very healing, and integrative, and beautiful. And having those things (which come from the inside) reflected in your outside/external reality is quite a remarkable experience. It provides knowledge, understanding, appreciation, more love, more ideas, and thus more expansion. This is the entire purpose of the 3rd-dimensional reality we are living in. It's a learning and loving hologram we created for ourselves to see ourselves and to expand ourselves. 

Also, Leo has an episode titled What is Art. I think it's one of his strongest episodes. I highly suggest listening to it. 

@Gianna

Yeah that makes sense thx.

So are you saying that art isn't primarily a mode of communication, or primarily a way of exploring the unknown/subconscious, but rather that it is equally both at once? to me it seems like it is mainly a way of exploring the unknown, then sharing it is a secondary priority. But for a more social person it could be the other way around maybe.

16 minutes ago, Matthew85 said:

@Julian gabriel God is infinite creativity. Art is just one of the endless expressions of that creativity. 

yeah, so is everything else. but if everything is defined as the same thing then the definitions are useless so I'm splitting things up in order to further understand them.

1 hour ago, Julian gabriel said:

So are you saying that art isn't primarily a mode of communication, or primarily a way of exploring the unknown/subconscious, but rather that it is equally both at once? to me it seems like it is mainly a way of exploring the unknown, then sharing it is a secondary priority.

Well, artists create the piece first and foremost for themselves. So the end result is really just a communication for themselves to receive. The sharing for others could be secondary and whatever. But the exploration and communication are both done to and from the artist, to and from themself. If that makes sense.