Julian gabriel

Why do humans make art?

34 posts in this topic

This one speaks to me, I really like this one. I love to stare at it for minutes on end.
3ee3ccea6a7b1c4d93dbb07c30f12637.jpg

Jackson Pollock is incredible.

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

One of my favorite past times is actually to go into an art gallery just stare at the paintings.

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

As an artist (actor, filmmaker, musician) I believe we make out as a way to confront the human condition and as a way to be present in the moment.  

When I am acting, I feel a strong spiritual connection.  I have entered another reality.  

When I write I feel like I can confront my inner demons head on but in a creative way.

When I make music it feels like just another extension of my emotions.

The best art is when it cuts through the left shed of your brain to your right side and goes to your heart or soul or both.  I think of people like Hayao Miyazaki, Stanley Kubrick, Marlon Brando, Daniel Day Lewis, David Lynch, Haurki Murakami,  Jimi Hendrix, Elliott Smith and Prince as great examples of true artists.

Everything we make as humans seems to be made for something other than itself.

Art seems to be made for itself.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:09 PM, Matthew85 said:

@Julian gabriel It's a tricky thing when you start asking the why of things. It is simply for the joy of creating. 

@Matthew85

the trickiness is what I live for though, the beautiful complexity. there are always interesting links and relative reasons. 

can't think of any?

12 hours ago, Matthew85 said:

@Julian gabriel I think one reason we create art is to offer a way for the higher mind to communicate with us.  

Is higher mind the unconscious? 

@Julian gabriel To me higher mind is your broader perspective or God self. Sometimes people refer to this aspect as the unconscious because it is beyond our waking conscious mind. 

On 1/28/2022 at 1:03 AM, mw711 said:

Everything we make as humans seems to be made for something other than itself.

Art seems to be made for itself.

@mw711

what does made for itself even mean? wouldn't t it still be an expression of some fear or love or joy even if th art is being made for no external purpose? even if it was only being created for enjoyment?

Maybe because they are sadists and like to torture people with their ugly art?

Or maybe because they want to rip off people and get rich?

Or maybe both?

Good question.

Edited by Blackhawk

3 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

Maybe because they are sadists and like to torture people with their ugly art?

Or maybe because they want to rip off people and get rich?

Or maybe both?

Good question.

The crowd I am entertaining with my music has way too much fun, so maybe they fall in love with a sadist. When this is what Sadists are, I keep being one with pleasure :)

I am merely transmitting what God loves in this moment, I am merely a conveyor.

Edited by Nadosa

@Julian gabriel

On 25/01/2022 at 10:43 PM, Julian gabriel said:

Most people seem to think that art is made simply in the pursuit of beauty, but it seems to me to be more of a higher mode of communication, which humans reach for when they have just encountered a part of the unknown which is so far outside their model of the world that they can't describe it without art. 

So then someone would create art about falling in love, not because love just feels so good, but rather because they have absolutely no fucking idea wtf just happened to them, but still need a way to express it. 

Then reality would be the art that god makes to explore the unknown of itself, in the same way that as humans make art to explore the unknown of themself. 

This isn't limited to humans though. Art is also expressed through animals like birds. I've seen an elephant paint an image of a tree on a canvas. Monkeys also can do abstract painting.

3 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Julian gabriel

This isn't limited to humans though. Art is also expressed through animals like birds. I've seen an elephant paint an image of a tree on a canvas. Monkeys also can do abstract painting.

@Danioover9000 They are creating something that humans consider to be art, but that doesn't mean that they can comprehend the concept of art themselves. 

Art is the garbage truck of human emotions. It's by far the best way to process & express feelings, and thereby understand and relieve them. People sometimes think art has to be pretty, or they need to be in a good mood to make good art. Yet it's the other way around: Art allows you to get to that feeling of goodness again. Art is the process, not the outcome.