Farnaby

Are Masculine/Feminine polarities just stereotypes?

28 posts in this topic

Hi!

I've been learning about masculine/feminine polarities lately and I'm wondering if those labels are just perpetuating stereotypical gender roles and making people try to fit into a box of pre-defined behaviors (as in trying to exhibit a masculine or a feminine trait based on what they have been told how it would look). 

What do you think?

Yes and no, if someone feels in alignment with their assigned biological sex and by extension the expectations around it then it feels right to them. But when the person has the tendency to deviate from their assigned sex it can be seen as a box others are imposing on them. And yeah like you say it can be a complex combination of situations when someone prefers to be feminine or masculine, unique to each individual. In the future, I believe that humanity would be served by allowing freedom of expression regardless of one's looks/bio sex and respecting the individual above the collective. 

Edited by puporing

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

Even though ultimately the truth of the universe is 100% neutral but hey here's reality and everything happens in duality, polarity, two sides.

focusing on improving your masculinity will make your dating life easier as it happened to me in my journey of becoming MORE masculine. 

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

I'd suggest you root yourself in the ancient understandings and perceptions of "masculine" and "feminine". If we were a culture which was informed of this knowledge, spiritual circles/communities included, we wouldn't be in the confusion that we are today. Consider the yin and yang, the 7 hermetic principles from the book, the Kybalion, and in particular principles (4) polarity and (7) gender. From there then contrast those perceptions with the last 70 years of western entertainment/advertisment and their exaggerations/distortions of man and woman, masculine and feminine. In short, we have lost knowledge and distorted views. 

@BenG and so you have no head or thoughts in a head? 

What's the function of language and words then? to generate more confusion? is god confused?

There is a lot of truth to them, it applies to the majority of people. Of course some nuance is also needed.

They're clusters of personality traits that are generally associated together. The same way there's a DSM-5 diagnosis with criteria for OCD or Bipolar.

Technically things like OCD or Bipolar don't actually exist, they're just labels we put on particular emergent phenomenon that tend to share similar characteristics. If you have X, Y, Z symptoms we call you bipolar. If you have X Y Z physical characteristics and interests we can reasonably categorize you as masculine or feminine.

Labels aren't inherent but they're pretty damn useful for actually navigating the world. Otherwise you're in a weird nihilistic place where nothing means anything, or anything can mean whatever it wants to mean. 

Edited by Yarco

On 26. 1. 2022 at 0:00 AM, hamedsf said:

Even though ultimately the truth of the universe is 100% neutral but hey here's reality and everything happens in duality, polarity, two sides.

focusing on improving your masculinity will make your dating life easier as it happened to me in my journey of becoming MORE masculine. 

Watch your own bias, making something easier does not mean it is true. That is an epistemic mistake. If a trans man/woman does not express their authentic self, of course it will make their dating life easier. Dating as cis is easier than dating while trans. But they are living in a lie. (unless they are not expressing it out of fear of being killed or hurt, which is understandable.)

Please don't use spiritual symbols and ancient texts and religions and whatever else to justify your biased binary views. Transphobia is against guidelines and denying somebody's true identity can be really harmful to them. You are not being liars or bullshitters for accepting that gender is a spectrum rather than a yin yang.

@bejapuskas that's the thing, there IS spectrum in the yin and yang. There's distinction and there a spectrum, there's both.

Edited by Johnny Galt

@Johnny Galt  That's interesting, I kinda get you now. Where is the spectrum on the yin yang? I understand there is like the duality and both poles have some part inside them from the other pole, but is that really a spectrum?

Masculine and feminine polarities exist.  I can feel them all the time as an intuitive.  There is also the feminine masculine, and the masculine feminine, it is on a spectrum that exists more like this:

Things don't exist on a one-two spectrum, they exist like a neuron or fractal, try to view gender/sexuality this way as well.

slime-mold-pulsing.gif

9 minutes ago, Loba said:

they exist like a neuron or fractal, try to view gender/sexuality this way as well.

I'd be interested to hear you unpackage/elaborate on this

:x I am just loving the vibe in this thread.

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

What about intersex and nonbinary? Do they have their own energy or whatever?

@bejapuskas Yes, because things offshoot, they don't just run on a single course forever, nothing does, especially something as complex as sexuality.  Masculine and feminine are simply the starting points, or two end points for a plethora of other genders.  Look at how things like this work, like evolution, city structures, the internet, neurons, galaxies - it's more like a web than just two points.  It branches out to explore every aspect of itself.  All variations.

https://youtu.be/BLmAV6O_ea0

Edited by Loba

@Loba  Thanks. Do you think masculine/feminine are necessarily the starting/ending points for all genders, or are they just as basic as others?

@bejapuskas I'm not sure, I have not looked into it enough - I'm just starting to take this part of my journey seriously as well, so there are some blind spots in my understanding.  If I manage to find an answer to it, I will let you know.