Someone here

Why is there something rather than nothing? (opinion)

103 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, VeganAwake said:

Well there isn't a self so good luck on that infinite search...

Let me know how it turns out :P

If there is no self then who typed that message?

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

45 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Infinity/nothingness/noone/nobody/reality/ god/ this/ ...

On 11/30/2021 at 6:10 PM, Someone here said:

Why not?

I totally believe infinite self-understanding is possible. 

It is but not on here, not on actualized forums, Not when your talking or typing about it, not when your thinking about it. 

Think of the forums like you are pressing pause on a video game and checking the settings tab. You can't understand the full game because its on pause, the only way to fully understand it all would be to press resume and keep on playing the game, seeing it unfold in action while keeping in mind the settings tab you checked every now and then to help guide you through all the action

Other than that, the question itself is stupid

any WHY question ever asked is out of confusion, ignorance and denial.

Any answer given to a WHY question would be 1 reason/infinite reasons. 

For example: Why is my dick small in size? Because bla bla bla. 

When given the reason or answer to the question, we can further ask ourselves: WHY THIS ANSWER?

Given "my" answer above, It would only be useful when asked by one self, and answered by 1 self.

Since the answer is 1, the self is also 1, then they would fit perfectly together and cause no confusion. (No pun intended)

If a self asks another self a question that starts with WHY, it would literally be as if a dog is chasing its own tale. 

The answer will NEVER satisfy both selves, because the answer is 1, and the selves are 2.

Edited by Mosess

15 hours ago, Someone here said:

The body can type and respond to messages but it's empty. The personalized experience of individuality and doership within the body is the unreal part.

There isn't a real you or me within the body, its an illusion of self.

The end of seeking is the recognition the seeker isn't real.

❤ 

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

8 hours ago, VeganAwake said:

The body can type and respond to messages but it's empty. The personalized experience of individuality and doership within the body is the unreal part.

There isn't a real you or me within the body, its an illusion of self.

The end of seeking is the recognition the seeker isn't real.

❤ 

Why can't the body be "you '? 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

42 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Why can't the body be "you '? 

Nevermind the body for now.

I'm speaking about the seeking energy that feels like there's something that needs to be understood or known.... the feeling that the answer is just around the next corner somewhere.

Is this your experience?

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

52 minutes ago, BipolarGrowth said:

Have you reached cessation yet? It adds a whole new dimension to this inquiry. 

A sincere question for you.

People with narcolepsy do have " cessations" and they suffer for it, why would a cessation during a Meditation be any more special or significant than that?

And whats the difference between a cessation and deep sleep?

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius 

52 minutes ago, Adamq8 said:

A sincere question for you.

People with narcolepsy do have " cessations" and they suffer for it, why would a cessation during a Meditation be any more special or significant than that?

And whats the difference between a cessation and deep sleep?

Well, the main difference is what comes before and after the cessation. I’ve not heard stories of people with narcolepsy having permanent baseline shifts in consciousness/perceptual abilities afterwards, but I’m no expert on narcolepsy. 

The same difference I just mentioned above also applies to deep sleep. The old monks/yogis were rather convinced there is consciousness in deep sleep and none in cessation; I’m putting some faith in their expertise and greater experience with it than myself. 

I just ask if he’s been through that yet because it opened my eyes to the whole concept of nonexistence and what that would even “be like” in ways I had no other way to access before the “non experience” of cessation. Beyond it just opening my eyes to it, it has done very similar things to a good percentage of others who have been through it. It has certainly shaped much of Buddhism, with the Buddha even calling nirodha samapatti the highest temporary attainment possible in life (spiritually speaking). It also is much of what created the framework for the Two Truths in Mahayana Buddhism. 

At the end of the day, the ridiculous and permanent shift cessations have had on my life is what leads me to see them as significant and different. I’m quite convinced we’d see different shifts in brain activity occurring in cases of cessation vs. narcolepsy or deep sleep as well, but that’s just a guess for now. 

Edited by BipolarGrowth

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

1 hour ago, BipolarGrowth said:

Well, the main difference is what comes before and after the cessation. I’ve not heard stories of people with narcolepsy having permanent baseline shifts in consciousness/perceptual abilities afterwards, but I’m no expert on narcolepsy. 

The same difference I just mentioned above also applies to deep sleep. The old monks/yogis were rather convinced there is consciousness in deep sleep and none in cessation; I’m putting some faith in their expertise and greater experience with it than myself. 

I just ask if he’s been through that yet because it opened my eyes to the whole concept of nonexistence and what that would even “be like” in ways I had no other way to access before the “non experience” of cessation. Beyond it just opening my eyes to it, it has done very similar things to a good percentage of others who have been through it. It has certainly shaped much of Buddhism, with the Buddha even calling nirodha samapatti the highest temporary attainment possible in life (spiritually speaking). It also is much of what created the framework for the Two Truths in Mahayana Buddhism. 

At the end of the day, the ridiculous and permanent shift cessations have had on my life is what leads me to see them as significant and different. I’m quite convinced we’d see different shifts in brain activity occurring in cases of cessation vs. narcolepsy or deep sleep as well, but that’s just a guess for now. 

Okey thanks for the answer!

It's interesting!

My question then becomes, if you cease to exist, how come you come back?

How is that possible?

And why don't you stay in non existence if an opposite to existence was possible?

Also i just want to add that there is an endless different interpretations of what the Buddha taught, some say that the yellow robes monk in Thailand and Sri Lanka is pure materialists which holds a flush down the cosmic toilet is the highest teaching.

And anti existence is the definition of evil according to some traditions.

All I see is that you can experience "non experience " just shows that you are a contingent being and not GOD, because he does not cease to exist, and neither do I when you " experience " cessation.

But to go so far to say non existence is a thing is funny, there is something which has the power of non existence if you even remotely can come back from it, and what's holding you in existence moment to moment?

I would say thats GOD.

Im not making an argument just so you know, im throwing some other view points out there, and im not saying im right either, im agnostic in this particular topic.

But it does not really make sense to me this whole obsessions with cessation, that can i atleast say. ?

I believe it is the atheist's and materialists that try to cling unto this cessation thing in order to try to proof something anti advaita vedanta etc because logic reason and evidence point towards the eternal nature of conciousness, not my mind alone or your mind alone, but existence as it is in itself, we are in existence but not pure existence itself.

That's just my two cents, and im open to being completely wrong ?

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius 

9 minutes ago, Adamq8 said:

My question then becomes, if you cease to exist, how come you come back?

How is that possible?

Notice that 'ceasing to exist' is not possible ('not experiencing' is not something that can be experienced).  'Not being' can never 'be'. 

You have never experienced 'no experience'.  

It Is Always Now. 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

No self/cessation/liberation is not an experience, it's a recognition.

Cessation of self cannot be experienced because it's the end of the sense of individuality to have a personal experience.

But there already isn't a self for cessation to even take place.... so in that sense it doesn't even really happen.

That's why it's often said that Enlightenment is already the case.

❤ 

So how does the feeling of intention fit with this? Some actions feel intended or willed, like moving my arm, and others not like beating my heart. It could be this feeling of intention which is a precursor to thoughts of a separate self. 

18 minutes ago, silene said:

So how does the feeling of intention fit with this? Some actions feel intended or willed, like moving my arm, and others not like beating my heart. It could be this feeling of intention which is a precursor to thoughts of a separate self. 

Yes like a self-perpetuating illusion.

It's so immediate and basic that it seems complex.

A thought or feeling of intention arises, the body then either reacts or not. THAT'S IT!!

There isn't anyone inside the body thinking and doing the actions. No owner!!

There seems to be, I get that .....but there's no one actually there.

It's so ordinary and extraordinary!

So already the case it seems hidden!

❤ 

28 minutes ago, silene said:

The impenetrable illusion covers over the reality that arms moving (seemingly intentionally, moving "your arm") is happening just as automatically (and without purpose, for that matter) as wind blowing through the trees.

@VeganAwake  @The0Self   I guess at some point we need to arrive at the realisation of things "just happening" otherwise we've got an infinite regression of who's doing it, who controls the controller? 

@silene Well nothing is needed but there's no real position, limit, location, scale, or context... So yeah, "things just happen (apparently)" is all that can really be said. Basically nothing can be said at all, since what's being pointed to isn't a thing. The reality of any context is illusory.

There is only the whole of everything, and what's longed for cannot be escaped. Amazingly. The infinitely empty void being absolutely everything is utterly free of lack or need.

Edited by The0Self

there is something rather than nothing because there is. mystery. there, deep in the void, it is. It could be simply a void, but since it is infinite, magic happens, and there you are. everything possible unfolding infinitely. like a wild cry of joy that in an instant, is all that can be. for no other reason than because he can and because he wants to. infinite love pouring out infinitely without control ... so much that it is nothing. uncontrollable, unfathomable, unknowable, the you that is not you, because as much as it is, it is nothing, but it is

Forgetting that "you" are infinite is itself the entire substance of "you" -- as in it's not even that you are infinite, as that would be a position and a meaning to the ungraspable. If something is forgotten then there must appear to be someone who (unknowingly) forgot -- that's all the someone is.

Edited by The0Self