Someone here

Why is there something rather than nothing? (opinion)

103 posts in this topic

@Mosess

2 hours ago, Mosess said:

Look at anything. You are the reference point that is looking at a thing in presence. That is a thing appearing in front of you in space and time. 2 points must co appear simultaneously  in order for there to be some thing. "Thing" is a 3rd party observer, that is "enlightenment" in this example. "Thing"="enlightenment", = being "nothing"

So 3 point perspective is enlightenment then? How does that answer the somethings came from nothing?

2 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Mosess

So 3 point perspective is enlightenment then? How does that answer the somethings came from nothing?

it does not

The question is endless lol

there is a loophole in any answer because the question is a loop

My opinion though still remains:

For the fun of it. ?

Why do you dream at night?

becaaaause if you didnt, what else would there be? it would be boring as hell that there wouldnt be anyone to claim that it was boring as hell. thats how boring it would be! ?

Edited by Mosess

11 hours ago, Mosess said:

For the fun of it. ?

What a nonsense answer. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

Here's something I wrote previously that can help you understand:

something is the limitation and constraint of Nothing. something is contained within Nothingness. Nothingness is the metaphysical substrata of all of material reality and existence. It’s the substrate of something.

To understand the above we have to abstract. You have to imagine a place before any material form exists, outside of any space or time, colours or shapes. This place is Infinity, as you will see Infinity and Nothingness are the same thing. 

Starting with something and removing the constraints and limits continuously you would inadvertently end up with Nothing. The process of removal will show you that as we progressively remove something’s limitations and constraints, we get closer and closer to Nothing. And that Nothing has the highest possible (infinite) potential to be anything or something.

Nothingness is pure unconstrained, unconditioned, unlimited potentiality, or Absolute Infinity, or infinity^infinity.  It contains all mathematical, logical or scientific infinities. Notice how math is a limit, qualifier or constraint of Nothing or a limit or constraint on Infinity. 

There are infinite possibilities of paintings, films, art, games, human interactions, buildings, music, thoughts and so on and so forth. There are infinite possibilities for an infinite number of things. All thanks to Nothingness.

As soon as you have something, there is now an infinite amount of things that it isn’t. something is the negation of potentiality. If you ever wondered why something exists at all, it’s because within Absolute Infinity, there has to contain within itself, the negation of itself, and that negation is something. 

For any objection to the previous sentence; why does Nothingness have to contain the negation of itself? Well it has to by definition. Nothingness is Absolute Infinite potentiality, and the negation of itself is a possibility, because it contains all possible possibilities, it contains everything. 

Take a metaphysical Nothingness, now create anything from an electron, to an atom, to a finger. As soon as we can specify anything in any form of any scale whatsoever, there is now something, and an infinite amount of things it isn’t or can’t be. Something is a constraint, limitation and removal of possibilities. It is a constraint on Infinity or Nothing.

Nothingness is actually the fabric of change. Because everythings true nature is Nothing. If its true nature was something, it could never become something else, it wouldn't be able to change. Nothingness is what allows form to mutate, grow, change and metamorphosize. It’s also the true nature of the person reading this.

15 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Mosess

It's easily knowable that nothingness HAS to be infinite. The exact mechanism is very easy to understand. A boundary is something. If there's not something, there's no boundary, making nothing infinite, which must be infinite something (else it would be finite/limited if it did NOT appear as something); and that something creates boundary, if there wasn't something, there's no boundary, making nothing infinite, which-

Etc etc to infinity.

You see the pattern?

Nothingness cannot exist without somethingness because the lack of something would necessitate something into being. There's just infinity. Outside, inside, nothing, something, up, down, left, right; all just infinity. That's all there is. Infinity.

But that is precisely why... If there's no limit, no law, no boundary, there's infinity: If there's infinity, there must be something otherwise it wouldn't be infinite.

Edited by RMQualtrough

3 hours ago, Someone here said:

What a nonsense answer. 

it is! ?

Edited by Mosess

3 hours ago, wildflower said:

Here's something I wrote previously that can help you understand:

something is the limitation and constraint of Nothing. something is contained within Nothingness. Nothingness is the metaphysical substrata of all of material reality and existence. It’s the substrate of something.

To understand the above we have to abstract. You have to imagine a place before any material form exists, outside of any space or time, colours or shapes. This place is Infinity, as you will see Infinity and Nothingness are the same thing. 

Starting with something and removing the constraints and limits continuously you would inadvertently end up with Nothing. The process of removal will show you that as we progressively remove something’s limitations and constraints, we get closer and closer to Nothing. And that Nothing has the highest possible (infinite) potential to be anything or something.

Nothingness is pure unconstrained, unconditioned, unlimited potentiality, or Absolute Infinity, or infinity^infinity.  It contains all mathematical, logical or scientific infinities. Notice how math is a limit, qualifier or constraint of Nothing or a limit or constraint on Infinity. 

There are infinite possibilities of paintings, films, art, games, human interactions, buildings, music, thoughts and so on and so forth. There are infinite possibilities for an infinite number of things. All thanks to Nothingness.

As soon as you have something, there is now an infinite amount of things that it isn’t. something is the negation of potentiality. If you ever wondered why something exists at all, it’s because within Absolute Infinity, there has to contain within itself, the negation of itself, and that negation is something. 

For any objection to the previous sentence; why does Nothingness have to contain the negation of itself? Well it has to by definition. Nothingness is Absolute Infinite potentiality, and the negation of itself is a possibility, because it contains all possible possibilities, it contains everything. 

Take a metaphysical Nothingness, now create anything from an electron, to an atom, to a finger. As soon as we can specify anything in any form of any scale whatsoever, there is now something, and an infinite amount of things it isn’t or can’t be. Something is a constraint, limitation and removal of possibilities. It is a constraint on Infinity or Nothing.

Nothingness is actually the fabric of change. Because everythings true nature is Nothing. If its true nature was something, it could never become something else, it wouldn't be able to change. Nothingness is what allows form to mutate, grow, change and metamorphosize. It’s also the true nature of the person reading this.

Let me ask you this, how can infinite potential become something without "something" that actualizes it?

How can this " nothing " ever become something?

Take wood for example, it has the potential to be set on fire, but something hot like a match can actualize that potential, and a human is actualizing the potential for the match to be set on fire etc.

The wood does not set itself on fire, so we had to actualize that potential. 

What then actualizes this nothing into something?

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius 

9 minutes ago, Adamq8 said:

Let me ask you this, how can infinite potential become something without "something" that actualizes it?

How can this " nothing " ever become something?

Take wood for example, it has the potential to be set on fire, but something hot like a match can actualize that potential, and a human is actualizing the potential for the match to be set on fire etc.

The wood does not set itself on fire, so we had to actualize that potential. 

What then actualizes this nothing into something?

Well there is a chain reaction,  the original something was just a single dense point of energy (the big bang), everything after this is self propagating (like you describe, its just segments of something actualizing the potential of another something). 

Take everything in the Universe in this moment, and imagine deleting parts of it one by one, imagine doing this until you delete all of what exist in the universe in this moment. Not just materiality, but all the thoughts, feelings and ideas that exist too, think about the sheer complexity of all these in this one moment, delete them all. Now imagine doing this for all previous states in the universe all the way back to the moment after the big bang - a single dense point of energy before forming a soup of particles. Can you see how as you remove or delete things from the universe, you increase the potentiality of the universe, such that the moment after the big bang there was the most potential for how the universe might possibly manifest? Can you see how the proliferation of each moment was a reduction of overall possibility? The more things manifest in a certain way, the less their potential to manifest in another? Now delete the very first moment of the Universe, the single point of immense energy - nothing would be left, but your degree of potentiality has reached Infinity, in this state of Nothing, there is now nothing constraining or limiting it, not a single point of any energy at all; there is an Infinite amount of possibilities. This is Nothingness, this is Infinity^Infinity

1 hour ago, wildflower said:

Well there is a chain reaction,  the original something was just a single dense point of energy (the big bang), everything after this is self propagating (like you describe, its just segments of something actualizing the potential of another something). 

Take everything in the Universe in this moment, and imagine deleting parts of it one by one, imagine doing this until you delete all of what exist in the universe in this moment. Not just materiality, but all the thoughts, feelings and ideas that exist too, think about the sheer complexity of all these in this one moment, delete them all. Now imagine doing this for all previous states in the universe all the way back to the moment after the big bang - a single dense point of energy before forming a soup of particles. Can you see how as you remove or delete things from the universe, you increase the potentiality of the universe, such that the moment after the big bang there was the most potential for how the universe might possibly manifest? Can you see how the proliferation of each moment was a reduction of overall possibility? The more things manifest in a certain way, the less their potential to manifest in another? Now delete the very first moment of the Universe, the single point of immense energy - nothing would be left, but your degree of potentiality has reached Infinity, in this state of Nothing, there is now nothing constraining or limiting it, not a single point of any energy at all; there is an Infinite amount of possibilities. This is Nothingness, this is Infinity^Infinity

Yeah I see where your coming from, ? formlessness is the most powerful imo.

But I would suggest that there is an uncaused cause, an unmoved mover which is pure ACT, that which has the power and actuality to actualize the big bang or actualize "potential" and energy is in constant motion through change, since it also is potential and actuality, like for example it has the potential to expand as the universe, hence it can't be the unmoved mover.

Alas there needs to be a necessary being.

A being that is its own existence, since we can't really regress into infinity with beings that is necessary upon eachother, and matter is not a necessary being, since it undergoes change, then it has potential and actuality's.

What is changed is changed by another in some way.

But a being that is necessary in itself can not and does not rely on anything other than itself.

But neither you or me are necessary beings, because we can possible be and not be, as is the same with every thing in the universe.

So then we have something or " no thing" which is prior to and necessary in and of itself, that being is GOD.

But notice, it is not really being, since it is not in competition with other beings, it is rather beyond being and non being.

And what we can deduce from the uncaused cause is that, it has the power to actualize, and since it is pure ACT it is active power without potentiality, hence it has to be infinite in power or unlimited.

But this is not some unconcious source either since unconcious matter produces unconcious matter, I would suggest that GOD is an infinite mind, but also recognize that we can not really pin down GOD as what he is, we can more or less only say what he is not.

He is not matter, he is not energy, he is not parts.

It is pure Absolute Existence, unchanged, immaterial, infinite.

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius 

@RMQualtrough

5 hours ago, RMQualtrough said:

It's easily knowable that nothingness HAS to be infinite. The exact mechanism is very easy to understand. A boundary is something. If there's not something, there's no boundary, making nothing infinite, which must be infinite something (else it would be finite/limited if it did NOT appear as something); and that something creates boundary, if there wasn't something, there's no boundary, making nothing infinite, which-

Etc etc to infinity.

You see the pattern?

Nothingness cannot exist without somethingness because the lack of something would necessitate something into being. There's just infinity. Outside, inside, nothing, something, up, down, left, right; all just infinity. That's all there is. Infinity.

But that is precisely why... If there's no limit, no law, no boundary, there's infinity: If there's infinity, there must be something otherwise it wouldn't be infinite.

I brought that up because some other user brought up that it's perspectival with why is there something rather than nothing. We got a subject, who's experiencing, an object. Subject-experience-object. 3 point perspective, therefore nothingness(point zero), somethings (objects point 1), and a conscious subject(I/you point 2), experiencing(point 3) other somethings(loop of points). So enlightenment has to contain in total 4 points of view that feedback loop.

6 hours ago, Someone here said:

What a nonsense answer. 

What exactly did you expect? lol

A perfectly logical solution that condenses infinite reality into a nice little package wrapped with a pretty little bow?

5 hours ago, The0Self said:

A perfectly logical solution that condenses infinite reality into a nice little package wrapped with a pretty little bow?

I find it perfectly logical and succinct. The nature of nothingness (nothing exists including boundaries or limitation) means that it must be infinite. To be infinite it must include all possibilities. All somethings are elements of these possibilities in infinity.

Surely that is the case? It can be condensed in a few sentences like that?

4 minutes ago, RMQualtrough said:

I find it perfectly logical and succinct. The nature of nothingness (nothing exists including boundaries or limitation) means that it must be infinite. To be infinite it must include all possibilities. All somethings are elements of these possibilities in infinity.

Surely that is the case? It can be condensed in a few sentences like that?

It's just a sentence.

Condense to me how it feels to be you.

Even that is impossible to convey in words, so infinity, not so much xD

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

4 hours ago, Shin said:

It's just a sentence.

Condense to me how it feels to be you.

Even that is impossible to convey in words, so infinity, not so much xD

It's also easy to describe why infinity cannot be conveyed. Just picture a dog chasing its tail, wherever you look or try to grab it is always ahead and it IS you. You'll never be able to grab it, just like that.

What it feels like to be me, it feels like whatever is happening right now because that's me. If you mean to be just me empty and that alone, then like general anaesthetic, so like nothing?

23 hours ago, The0Self said:

Why not?

I totally believe infinite self-understanding is possible. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

4 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Why not?

It is, but only directly and automatically. Not by reading someone else's pointers, even if they themselves achieved it. Good luck doing so without stupid amounts of meditation -- not that it's impossible. Or really just experimenting with many ways of seeing reality, provided the mind is quite calm -- very steady self inquiry can be quite helpful for this, as can psychedelics. The I that you can't find is identical to the entirety of everything -- there's no separation. Everything is undefinably nothing... Pure love; boundless energy; wholeness; the needless void which is whole and complete. Experimenting with ways of seeing like that can be associated with rather terrifyingly awesome glimpses. So-called infinite self understanding is not going to come without a cost -- the cost is everything you want to control... Yet when the cost is paid, nothing is lost, but from the other (pre-liberation) side of the door, it will look like death.

2 hours ago, Someone here said:

Why not?

Well there isn't a self so good luck on that infinite search...

Let me know how it turns out :P

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi