intotheblack

The wisdom of trauma - Gabor mate

15 posts in this topic

Thought I would share a new documentary film from Gabor mate, it will be shown from the 8th June.  If you sign up you get free access to the film, and you can get other content for an extra donation if you want... 

The wisdom of trauma

Edited by intotheblack

Gabor is a great gift to humanity. He’s a favorite of mine. 

Edit: the quote in your signature is great btw lol

Edited by BipolarGrowth

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

Gabor Mate is great and i look forward to watching this documentary.

It’s available now for those who are interested :) 

I don't like the premise that we are all damaged victims.  I think there's probably a lot of good and love here, but I think the framing of the "trauma" narrative is a bit problematic.  

6 hours ago, Heart of Space said:

I don't like the premise that we are all damaged victims.  I think there's probably a lot of good and love here, but I think the framing of the "trauma" narrative is a bit problematic.  

What Gabor talks about is that ‘trauma’ is the result of something that happened to you.  It manifests in your body. It becomes a part of you unconsciously. 
He talks about how this manifested trauma (basically something happening to you that you keep to yourself for years and years) creates illnesses and disease. 
why do you think the framing of trauma is problematic? 

Edited by intotheblack

5 hours ago, intotheblack said:

What Gabor talks about is that ‘trauma’ is the result of something that happened to you.  It manifests in your body. It becomes a part of you unconsciously. 
He talks about how this manifested trauma (basically something happening to you that you keep to yourself for years and years) creates illnesses and disease. 
why do you think the framing of trauma is problematic? 

I think it creates the narrative that we are damaged by our experiences and need to work towards digging ourselves out of the "hole" of our damaged selves.  

I mean it's a useful perspective in certain circumstances, but I do not think it is a good idea to apply it so universally.  

That being said, if it works for you then it is valid for you.  I don't mean to diminish the idea for those it helps.  

On 09/06/2021 at 1:49 PM, Heart of Space said:

I think it creates the narrative that we are damaged by our experiences and need to work towards digging ourselves out of the "hole" of our damaged selves.  

You think correctly, that’s exactly what trauma is, that all human beings carry. It doesn’t make us damaged and broken in a sense where we should judge ourselves or feel less than, but we can be aware of our limits that are governed by the unprocessed pain of our past. That to me feels incredibly liberating, authentic and supportive.

Beautiful picture. I thought of making notes on the movie and sharing it here.

Edited by Loving Radiance

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

On 6/11/2021 at 8:09 PM, MatteO22 said:

You think correctly, that’s exactly what trauma is, that all human beings carry. It doesn’t make us damaged and broken in a sense where we should judge ourselves or feel less than, but we can be aware of our limits that are governed by the unprocessed pain of our past. That to me feels incredibly liberating, authentic and supportive.

The way you describe it seems healthy to me.  

Thanks for posting, @intotheblack,  this is such an important subject because unresolved trauma is something that profoundly affects the majority of people, even if they don't realise it, and it's so important that we bring attention to it.

Thanks again :)

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

On 09/06/2021 at 7:55 AM, intotheblack said:

He does make the distinction that it is not the event in itself that traumatise but how you feel about it. 

By the way the documentary is a great watch !

On 12/6/2021 at 2:59 PM, Loving Radiance said:

Beautiful picture. I thought of making notes on the movie and sharing it here.

@Loving Radiance hey pls share the notes of the movie . Would love to read them .