xxxx

Learning New Languages

21 posts in this topic

I speak Chinese, Korean, and English. Korean and English I'm very very good at. Chinese, below average. But had only started a year and a half ago. So I think I progressed faster than anybody. I think i know what it means to master a language, because in both America and Korea, they both consider me their natives.

1. persistence

2. use a language exchange app called "hello talk" (absolutely fundamental in your learning and must not be underused. Must be overused. This is a must, I tell you.)

3. Ask any natives of that language and show them your language teachers. Do they say he or she teaches well? If yes, pick that person, but also consider how well he teaches you.

4. Listen to audio programs any time you can.

5. Movies and shows are a must watch. 

6. Be ingrained with their culture. Must even defer to that culture. As you know, the key to understanding is awareness. And there is no awareness when there is no love. There is no love when there is not some kind of surrender, some kind of deference. This is a scientifically proven fact, where people who are distant to the culture and try to not assimilate to their food, religion, rituals of that country has almost undoubtedly a hard time learning anything of that language. You must defer to that culture like its a master. Read their ancient books in your own native language if necessary. Take interest in their major historical figures. Take interest into their religion and even go to their temples. It's a beautiful thing to understand other cultures and your mind aches sometimes which is good. It means you brain chemistry is changing. It's growth. But most importantly, it's about learning the language no? And without this, there is no understanding of the language, because language is deeply imbedded into the culture. It's the two sides of the same coin. 

7. Ideally every day 30 minutes study of the language. At least 2 days a week 30 minutes study of the language. A must, talk with a native in that language at least twice a week. At least. Use the language exchange app. So many foreigners are willing to learn English more than English speakers trying to learn a foreign language. Use that. 

8. Have fun. And learn the language you want to learn. Usually, it will be a culture that you very like. Without having fun, it will not be imprinted in the mind. It's a fact.

9. Watch the same movie you love again and again. Later on, don't even watch the subtitles. And you'll remember the phrases spoken and you'll find yourself imitating some actors. Pronunciation will greatly enhance with that and with you speaking with the native. You can show the natives the phrases you've learnt in movies and play it out to them. They will love it and laugh. They will try to teach you more, because they see that you are passionate about their culture. Show a heart to them, then they will give you much more value.