Gesundheit

Why isn't reality a simulation?

34 posts in this topic

• We are God in human form.
  • Everything came out of nothing.
  • This current life experience will end at some point.

All adds up to a simulation, imo.

What are some strong arguments against this?

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

You can call your experience a simulation, who knows, our biological bodies and perceptions may be a product of alien computing, but reality itself can never be equal to simulation.

@cetus Alright, I got it. It's all just me. But it all still doesn't make any sense.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

To me the simulation is just another metaphor for this dream that we are all in. You could say that consciousness is simulating the simulation. 

Hey @Gesundheit

Let me try to explain. - NO reality is not a simulation. And thats because a simulation is typically grounded in some vague matrialistic notions, like we are all in a computer simulation. The definition and understanding of a simulation still grounds it on something. But Reality and Conscioussness is fundamentally groundless, its nothing, nowhere, notime. It just is. Infinite. Dude It cant be explained really, only pointed at, so hope u somewhat get it. 

@Gesundheit If you're asking why Leo says reality isn't a simulation, I think it's because he was addressing theories about all of us literally being hooked up in machines like the film "The Matrix". The simulation theory that many materialistic Elon Musk followers are a fan of. 

Criticising the metaphysical implications of simulation theories on ultimate/absolute reality , rather than saying it isn't a possibility for relative truth ( maybe he did criticise it as so, Idk, but I would guess that he didn't. I haven't watched his video.)

Not that I think this simulation theory is absurd or something as a possibility (I just haven't thought about it much, and I imagine there a several variants you could come up with).

We might try to scientifically make the claim that the brain causes/runs/is consciousness, and that sort of thing has been discussed here a lot (the idea of brain and etc is arising in consciousness). Well now the claim here is that a computer built by some aliens or other humans is causing our consciousness, or "contains" our consciousness. Perhaps if this was thoroughly looked at it, it would be no conceptually different in general structure from the claim that brains cause consciousness. 

Saying that our brains are simulated in computers kinda just passes down the buck to one level of abstraction further, without changing any general principles. And then this is playing a game of causation, where it's "turtles all the way down"

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

58 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

@cetus Alright, I got it. It's all just me. But it all still doesn't make any sense.

Eventually it will all make perfect sense. What is "just me"?

4 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

What do you think about this? 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

5 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

Infinite doesn’t ‘fit in’ finite. 

Infinite can not come out of infinite. (Not two infinites)

Not two...current vs previous or next, begin vs end. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

3 hours ago, cetus said:

Eventually it will all make perfect sense. What is "just me"?

Let me explain what happened.

You asked me "what is reality simulating?", and I understood that simulating is a materialistic concept that means grounded in another reality, i.e. turtles all the way down. So, obviously it would make no sense to say that reality is a simulation, because it makes no difference to have another reality without being simulated as well. I didn't know the literal meaning of the word "simulation".

Okay, now having removed that misconception, I thought to myself, if reality is groundless, then why is there something rather than nothing? And the answer is because there was never a nothing. Nothing is a concept. It has always been something, although unidentifiable.

Next, I had the question, if something has been all there is all along, then why am I now couched within this particular perspective? And the answer is because I am all there is. And this perspective is all I am. So, it all is just me.

So, I now have the answers to those questions, but I still don't understand how or why everything is as it is. In other words, I don't understand the mechanisms by which reality is happening, nor do I understand why it is occurring in this particular way. So I am now finally left with this: reality cannot be any other way because it's absolute truth, until it can and is, and it will still be absolute truth. I don't know, maybe that should be enough to shut down the inquiry, maybe I should contemplate these realizations more.

It's truly unknowable....but you can try all you want, nothing wrong with it.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

@Mafortu @Brandon L @PeaceOut96 @lmfao

Thanks. I got this confusion removed.

3 hours ago, Preety_India said:

We are God in human form.

^^What do you think about this? 

God is infinite states of consciousness/being. One of them is the human state. The human state is not a single state, it's also infinite states. I happen to reside in one of those states, and so do you and everyone else. Each being is in a certain state of consciousness, i.e. we're at different frequencies. There aren't two identical frequencies. Only one infinite range of different frequencies/states of consciousness.

3 hours ago, Nahm said:

Infinite doesn’t ‘fit in’ finite. 

Yep. Finite is conceptual. Infinite is actual.

It's mind-bending. Just because I didn't accept absolute truth, I thought it was limited.

2 hours ago, VeganAwake said:

It's truly unknowable....but you can try all you want, nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, you're probably right.

9 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

All adds up to a simulation, imo.

What are some strong arguments against this?

What is god? Where is life? How you are sure that you are having a life experience now?

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

Reality cant be a simulation because the ones simulating us in their computer would be IN reality. There can be as man layers to it as you want, but ultimately reality is groundless. And enquiring into the nature of existence inside a simulation or outside of it, is no different. 

A lot of things said in Law of One and from what I can gather from different teachings + my own realizations. It does seem like a simulation. A cosmic play. It can't be a game because there are no players. So it's just a play. Leela in hinduism it is called. So it does look like so, but at the same time, why would it matter? Only reason you want to find out is because it'll help add yet another layer to your identity.

OK for the sake of argument.. Let's say we are literally made out of pixels..there is a computer running real life behind the scenes somewhere... Now what is the computer made out of?  If there is a computer running real life.. What is running the computer? Another computer? Computers all the way down?  What is the ultimate ground substance that of reality? 

You should see that reality can't be anything else but groundless consciousness floating in nothingness. 

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

8 minutes ago, James123 said:

What is god?

Something that exists.

8 minutes ago, James123 said:

Where is life?

Location is a made-up/relative notion.

9 minutes ago, James123 said:

How you are sure that you are having a life experience now?

Nothing more real/tangible.

@Swarnim @Someone here ????

3 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

Something that exists.

Location is a made-up/relative notion.

Nothing more real/tangible.

@Swarnim @Someone here ????

These are just words. Even god, created by so called mind. Being God or word of god is just a concept. Because it is nothing.

Edited by James123

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

3 minutes ago, James123 said:

These are just words. Even god, created by so called mind. Being God or word of god is just a concept. Because it is nothing.

??