Emanuel Lasker

How to have a strong ego?

19 posts in this topic

I was watching Leo's Free Will vs Determinism episode... And at some point it mentions what I have is a weak ego and to transcend it I need to first make strong ego and then transcend it.So How to have a strong ego?

read my self actualization journal on instincts and stuff :P

but seriously though. build your character. 

basically the essence of all self-help. know your weaknesses and strengths and desires and fears. people pay for psychotherapy just for these stuff, but actually self-help can be learned from anywhere. 

from philosophers, from people you admire, from life. It's more easier than ever to do these given that were literally talking in a forum, but at the same time, no, because... decreased attention span for the many? so be sure to devote a lot of time to it. 

otherwise you're free to become literally anyone... a ceo, an artist, a serial killer... the world has no rules, because really it exists only in our consciousness. like, dogs literally don't know shit about our human stuff. 

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

@Leo Gura Would appreciate it if you replied... I have suffered too much because of my weak ego... I'm aware of the irony of this statement... A list of practices that I should do or which videos to watch maybe?

I really wish, Leo answers your question. Till then I´ll try to share me experience:

1. First of all, get rid of people who makes you feel uneasy. Weak ego is a sweet bait for all kind of manipulators. I observe very often people with weak ego getting used and abused by arseholes. Don´t be gracefull with arseholes. Off of them!

2. After step 1 you probably won´t have a lot of people around you. Maybe even nobody. You will have to live on your own. "Dee do de de, dee do de de. I get so lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, yeah!"  You´ll have nobody to ask advice. You´ll have to make all decisions  and all choices yourself and cope with their consequences on your own. Some of them will be good, the others - bad. It doesn´t matter. What matters, you´ll get psycological independance. Some day other people´s opinions won´t play a great role for you any more. But it may take you years.

I wish Leo answers you. Because I wish, somebody had told me 15 years ago what I heard from Leo recently: To get rid of ego you have to make it strong at first. Because weak ego resists too much. I wish, I knew it then, and focused on ego (what you a re going to do) instead of haunting a glimpse of enlightment. 

Thanks @Hulia for replying ... It was very helpful... You are right I am surrounded by people who makes me uneasy

@Emerald   Can you pitch in?.. Love your videos btw... Any good resources on having a healthy ego is appreciated.

To have ego strength, first you need to accept yourself for who you are. Set realistic expectations and goals. And work towards them. Be flexible.

Strong ego is achieved by total acceptance of the repressed shadow elements in our subconscious.

On 12/8/2020 at 0:05 PM, Emanuel Lasker said:

I was watching Leo's Free Will vs Determinism episode... And at some point it mentions what I have is a weak ego and to transcend it I need to first make strong ego and then transcend it.So How to have a strong ego?

The ego is an illusion; you think that you have a self but you don’t. The ego is all the conflict and identity that comes with thinking you have a self.

You are no one. no need to have a strong ego to transcend the ego. Just wake up!

The stronger the ego the most dramatic it will be if it gets shuttered. For example a millionaire that loses all of his money is going to commit suicide. This is the best opportunity for him to transcend his ego without hurting the body. Suffering in whatever form is the thing that can push you to transcend the ego. If you are able to suffer your ego is already strong enough. It is not necessary but it will happen anyway in your life so if it happens use it. Find the good in a bad situation. 

What you need is a strong self-esteem, not a strong ego, that's completely different.

You have to imagine yourself as the strongest version you can be, 5, 10, 15 or so years into the future, doing what you want and having what you want. Really dream big, let yourself expand and become more powerful than what you are currently, and be generous in your imagination, really imagine doing what you want, regardless if it's good or bad, it's more important to see this in your mind.

Also, keep seeking more clarity of what you want.

@Emanuel Lasker I haven't got strong willpower or strong ego. 

The problem I've had in creating a 'strong ego' is that my ego ends up running on low consciousness fuel for action. By low consciousness I mean fear and pride.

Maybe I haven't discovered healthy ego.

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Check out 'The 6 Pillars of Self Esteem' by Nathaniel Branden

It seems we really like to avoid the shadow work. Becose without that our ego is always immature and weaker...

Strong ego or healthy ego ?

A healthier ego surely doesn't mind if you detach from it, but wouldn't a strong ego be harder to break down...

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it" -Rumi

@Moon Imo strong=healthy. But the illusion is the illusion regardless. I disagree with the notion of breaking down the ego. That would be only the afirmation of his existence.