Sunnyboytoni

Are videogames a toxic value?

21 posts in this topic

Had this quick question, I understand the concept of toxic values and them not being high conciousness, but what if I feel passion when playing video games, don't you think this can potentially turn into me being a gamer on youtube?

Haven't gotten to the life purpose part of the course yet, but this idea really sparks a fire in me, just having the though of it makes me feel in love with video games even more.

Not sure if this is  an addiction, *haven't played video games in years* or if its genuine passion, but that shit feels exiting.

What are you guy's  thoughts?

Can this be a value or a passion?

Excitement is not a good value to go for. Although, it is a good experience for sure. I have had a a good bit of that in my current business. Excitement is not really that sustainable. Or you have to go to more extreme levels to obtain it. Nothing wrong with enjoying it, but I would not build a purpose fully around that. 

I would work on identifying other values you have and identify your other interests. It might even be possible to combined gaming with something that you are really passionate about. Maybe even things from designing games, or putting a positive spin on most of the culture around it. 

All of your top values should be higher consciousness/noble (if you care about living an exceptional life)

e.g. Freedom, Purpose, Wisdom, etc. <These are some of my top 10 higher consciousness values.

Sex is also a really high value of mine, but I've made the choice to put it at number 11, underneath the more meaningful values.

Why?

Simply, I'd rather lead a life of wisdom (for example) rather than a life of sex.

Just because I prioritize wisdom, doesn't mean sex suddenly vanishes -  the key difference is: which value is YOUR ENTIRE LIFE ANCHORED TO?

In your case, I would strongly advise not to put video games in your top 10 values.

You can still love and cherish video games - just like I love and cherish sex - but you have to have some foresight and be dignified when you design YOUR ENTIRE LIFE.

Think about your tombstone in ~70 years...

"Here lies Sunnyboytoni. His life was about video games. RIP."

Hey who knows - maybe that sounds good to you right now because you really like video games. But hopefully you see how this scenario is not the greatest of possibilities.

How about this?

"Here lies Sunnyboytoni. His life was about adventure and connecting with others through video games. RIP."

Notice in this new scenario, video games are still included in your life, but they are no longer the centerpiece. In this new scenario, your life is about adventure and connection, and video games are merely a vessel through which your higher and more authentic values shine through.

Don't just take my word for it: really ponder this, hard.

Good luck!

It's Love.

There is definitely a market for it. I enjoy videogames, but I don't think I could do it as a career. I get tired of it after an hour or so. 

Have literally not played a video game in almost a decade, myself. Probably would be nice. Unless it's social my intuition says don't touch it, but if you're in too deep, embrace it?

If you haven't played video games in years, why would you suddenly want to be a professional gamer on Youtube? What has prevented you from playing games in the past few years if it's something that used to bring you lots of happiness? Do you actually enjoy playing games, or is it the idea of being famous on Youtube or getting rich by playing video games that you're after?

You can get burned out even on playing video games all day. Ask any serious Twitch streamer. 

It's fun and games until you have to do it 8 hours a day, then feeling forced to play video games isn't fun any more. Then you have to do all the stuff that goes along with it, like editing your videos, managing all of your social media, and reading hundreds of toxic comments any time you do anything someone remotely disagrees with.

I don't think video games are a value. They're a tool. You can use them for good, but most people don't know how to wield it and it ends up doing more damage than good, just wasting a lot of time and being unproductive usually.

It can be a genuine desire for sure. In any way, in any case it is always a tradeoff, just with any other thing. Would you really love to dedicate your life to games or there is something "eh" when you think about it?

I think that might be a very worthwhile area to investigate for ya

You will be shocked to know that people who play a lot of video games tend to be more relaxed and they also can be the most creative people around.

Yes they are a toxic value. They are a massive timesink and will trick your brain into thinking it's accomplishing things when you aren't really. They will make you less creative because you are not creating, it's injecting already created things into your mind. They can also make you more irritable and negative. If you somehow turn videogames into your job perhaps then it is generating value for you, but that is very hard to do and don't just use that as an excuse to play more and more videogames, you should be taking steps to make that happen.

lol, how old are you kid?

What are you living for? Praise? Respect? Fun?

Nothing can ever be objectively better than something else.

Everything just achieves some specific function.  

Do you like what playing video games achieves?  Is there anything that achieves the same thing, but more efficiently?

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

No, they are not. You just have to put some limits and nothing will be toxic. You know I cannot understand why people are so scared of video games. I think that it is high time to become open to them 'cause they are taking part in our life now. You know during the pandemic video games helped us to pass over hard moments. I even found the rocket league ranks game together with a tutorial on how to play it. I play it and there is nothing toxic. You can open the tutorial of it and see what is going on there.

Edited by VirginiaWH

This video/channel might help

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, Raze said:

They will make you less creative because you are not creating, it's injecting already created things into your mind.

If you create things but nobody is seeing your creation, then what's the point of creation in the first place ? If you encourage him to create but you discourage him to enjoy the creations of others, you are basically telling him that nobody will enjoy his creations either.

Computer games nowadays are a form of art. Therefore, playing them is one of the highest life purpose one can have.

16 hours ago, Yarco said:

If you haven't played video games in years, why would you suddenly want to be a professional gamer on Youtube? What has prevented you from playing games in the past few years if it's something that used to bring you lots of happiness? Do you actually enjoy playing games, or is it the idea of being famous on Youtube or getting rich by playing video games that you're after?

You can get burned out even on playing video games all day. Ask any serious Twitch streamer. 

It's fun and games until you have to do it 8 hours a day, then feeling forced to play video games isn't fun any more. Then you have to do all the stuff that goes along with it, like editing your videos, managing all of your social media, and reading hundreds of toxic comments any time you do anything someone remotely disagrees with.

I don't think video games are a value. They're a tool. You can use them for good, but most people don't know how to wield it and it ends up doing more damage than good, just wasting a lot of time and being unproductive usually.

The reason I stopped video games is because I got into self development, and It was labeled as a distraction  

I know for sure that I wont do it for the fame because if I wanted fame I could just do pickup and run social circle game

I would have to think of it because I do feel emotional  when playing Roblox, lol but  I do see your point and I will be open to it

Thanks,

Tony

Edited by Sunnyboytoni

19 hours ago, Godhead said:

@Sunnyboytoni How do you define "toxic"? 

Low conciousness  values, addictions, , sex,  excitement, 

That's what leo calls  them in his life purpose  course.

There is no "toxic" value

There is no "top" values

Do what you enjoy the most in your life and embrace it regardless of what the society says or thinks about it or how useful it is to society. It doesn't matter.

But remember, that you have bills to pay.

Edited by dafels

16 hours ago, Raze said:

Yes they are a toxic value. They are a massive timesink and will trick your brain into thinking it's accomplishing things when you aren't really. They will make you less creative because you are not creating, it's injecting already created things into your mind. They can also make you more irritable and negative. If you somehow turn videogames into your job perhaps then it is generating value for you, but that is very hard to do and don't just use that as an excuse to play more and more videogames, you should be taking steps to make that happen.

there is a sharp distinction here - video games can be used in a way that serves you and video games can also be a time-sink, or a distraction. it's not inherent in the activity, but sometimes it's your relationship with the activity 

for example, for playing an FPS game that I like, i had to learn communication skills, and leadership skills (to keep people motivated and calm) because people get tilted super easily and are often times not playing close to their potential 

i had to change my worldview into believing that I could achieve very challenging things (to become a 1% player, i had to use psychocybernetics principles, success principles, mindset, peak performance principles) 

for me, these things were massive because I had neither and were the things that I needed and wanted most. video games was the way i was able to create those skills 

also the problem with labelling it as toxic for everyone can be not useful because sometimes video games are right for you.  

however it could be toxic for you because it's not what you want in life. 

Edited by Jacob Morres

Video games are not a value, they are a medium. One of many art mediums.

What kind of art you create and how you use the medium is up to you.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.