Natasha

How Social Media Is Destroying Our Brain

37 posts in this topic

@Scholar Yes, it's really like a mind virus that only few people seem to recognize as dangerous and destructive to both an individual and the collective. The dophamine pull is just too strong for most people to let go of this addiction. 

Just deleted my Instagram account. Feels good!!

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

@Loving Radiance Watching this one right now

Wow, that was an interesting talk! I never equated my Facebook account to a Skinner Box before. I stopped using it a while ago, though, so I feel good about that.

Haha I only have Facebook and this forum. Never understood the appeal of twitter or instagram, or snapchat when all that can be done on Facebook.  I probably am too addicted to this forum but at least the content I'm intaking can help relax an ego, not glorify it (though I may choose a little glorification here and there) 

Facebook I do love because I was alienated from my family after college (it's a gay thing) and Facebook has slowly let me reconnect. I even told my grandma the other day that I was spending thanksgiving at my mother in law's house, and that was big for me and the semi hiding behind Facebook allowed that space. She took it well, or at least from her response ? 

Social media also makes it very easy to connect with people from all over the world. Sure I could pick up a phone but who does that anymore ?

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

I love social media lol, nevertheless it fucked many people’s mind but It’s part of it as well.

I used to demonize it before and just the hate did me worst than actually embracing it. You must use it wisely, like everything in life. 
Balance is the key here. It’s going to be part of our life for the next century at least..

Btw I love the game and I believe that no matter what as long as you’re a human, you will have some kind of ego. So at least now you gonna be aware of it? 

Fear, hate and distraction to face what is real is the only self destruction mechanism as it causes disharmony, it is the mind/beliefs dictating what is good and bad, healthy and not; ultimately love is the answer, releasing all that no longer serves, while fully knowing what serves changes in every moment. Learn from attention, do not require justification in what serves, judgment is the opportunity to love greater 

@DrewNows No fear, just awareness. Facing what is real is not what social media offers. People only put out their best (and often fake) facade that doesn't reflect the  full spectrum of their personality. You never truly know someone until you spend a substantial amount of time with them in person. Social media also generates need, lack, (and often competition) through dopamine dependency. The dealer and the junky feeding off of each other. 

@seeking_brilliance I have this forum and FB as well, plenty for me. Insta was just a bottomless pit of distraction. Has never been interested in Tweeter or any other platforms. Too busy living my life in real world B|

People always had problems, social media creates new bad and it creates new good:

People workout today more than ever before
People have access to info about diet/training and exercise far easier
People can talk to virtually anyone in the world (I have spoken to very high level individuals and my profile had sub 100 followers)
Everyone sees inspirational/motivational and interesting content as this is posted in people's stories, so they can't avoid it

People who blame social media would be doing the same thing with:
Rock and roll
Psychedelics
Disco
Video games
The internet
And now social media

"This new generation is the worst one ever" Socrates, turns out it wasn't, it was the one after that and the one after that and the one after that haha!

Hey if social media is destroying your brain you can regenerate it by cycling 1 hour a day for 2 months that will rejuvenate your brain like it is 3 years younger.

True story

Arc

I'm always torn on this one. I haven't had FB for years. I am barely reachable by text messages (I encourage my friends and family to call me if they want a quick answer or a long conversation--texting is just for making plans!). I insist that nobody put me in a group message and ask to be removed if they do anyway. I have few notifications enabled on my phone.

All of this is because I am aware that my attention is an extremely valuable commodity. And it's limited--I can only truly pay quality attention to one thing at a time, so I prefer to give my full attention to one thing at a time. It is a chore to cultivate this, but it's worth it to me.

HOWEVER, I still use Instagram and Reddit, and I have mixed feelings about this. I consciously choose to use them when I am interested in seeing what's happening on them. On Instagram, I follow accounts related to my hobbies--fitness, yoga, arts & crafts, music, psychedelics, travel, psychology, fashion, and cooking (as well as some personal accounts of people I like and want to keep in touch with). I'm constantly finding new recipes, new workout routines, new yoga pointers, and new art techniques through instagram. This adds value to my life, and I don't want to stop using it because of this.

But often, new recipes require me to purchase new ingredients (and influencers always have % off codes, how convenient!), new art techniques require new art supplies, ads show me clothes that really look like something I'd like. And so, I get pushed towards consumption--I am being manipulated into buying products, just as these platforms intended. And sometimes I find myself spending longer online than I meant to, because I keep getting fed content that interests me. It's not to say that I'm not learning or gaining any value from it, but it IS taking away my attention and time that could be put to better use.

I unfollow anyone whose content makes me feel bad in any way--like if they make me envious, or judgmental, or extremely annoyed. It's useful to notice what triggers those feelings and address that, but when I have control over whether or not to inflict them upon myself, I like to exercise it. I also don't post much myself, because my motives for doing so generally don't seem to be all that great. I'd love to believe that I'm posting things because I want to share my experiences with others, but in reality, I'm broadcasting them to a LOT of people instead of individually sharing them. I realize that I often have an underlying feeling of wanting to brag or show off, or cultivate a certain image/persona, rather than genuinely to connect. It feels gross and I don't do it very often, now. But I wonder if this cuts me off from some opportunities for meaningful connection.

In short, this is a really complex question, and I feel like everyone should be trying to make conscious choices about how they interact with social media and technology in general. It's so weird to me so many people seem to openly talk about knowing how bad it is, but then continue using it the same way anyways. Someone else on this thread compared it to smoking--it reminds me of my smoker friends who say "I know this is bad, I shouldn't do this," while they're lighting a cigarette. Addiction is an accurate characterization.

@The_Alchemist Yes, if done consciously and without an addictive pull, it could serve a higher purpose. However, I doubt there is a whole lot of people on their death beds regretting they didn't spend more time on internet or social media. There actually have been studies where people close to dying were asked what they regret most not having done more in life. The answers were mostly - that they didn't spend more time with family, friends, favorite pet, in nature, travelling, in other words, enjoying life at hand, in real time and space. None of them said working more, making more money, spending more time in virtual reality/social media, scrolling through random memes and thoughts of others ?

I've gotten so absorbed on devices like my phone or laptop that even holding them feels like my perception of space-time is distorted. Like a force field being twisted. Spend some time in nature, and the brain fog lifts a little. 

You form a symbiotic relationship with your phone. You fuse with it, e.g. frequently googling answers. You merge your consciousness with this thing. It's almost like an extra unit installed into your brain. And that analogy will only become more literal as technology advances.

Isn't Elon Musk's company working on that "neuralink" thing? 
--
I wonder what being unfused from technology would feel like. I just use it so often. I don't like having been fused with it. 

All about having a conscious relationship with it and removing all addictions, at the end of the day. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

13 hours ago, Natasha said:

@The_Alchemist Yes, if done consciously and without an addictive pull, it could serve a higher purpose. However, I doubt there is a whole lot of people on their death beds regretting they didn't spend more time on internet or social media. There actually have been studies where people close to dying were asked what they regret most not having done more in life. The answers were mostly - that they didn't spend more time with family, friends, favorite pet, in nature, travelling, in other words, enjoying life at hand, in real time and space. None of them said working more, making more money, spending more time in virtual reality/social media, scrolling through random memes and thoughts of others ?

People in general do nothing the people at the top just do a bit;
Average millionaire only does an hour of self improvement.

The other things you existed can also be addictions and pointless pleasure chasing that takes people away from self actualization.

There is good in bad and bad in good, hating on social media is just an extension of the human penchant to criticize "new evils" of the breads and circuses, they're not going away or maybe you have a better solution for them?

@The_Alchemist I'm just bringing awareness to the fact that social media is an addiction, and just like any addiction it can be destructive. Alcoholism is not going away either, does it mean we shouldn't talk about it's destructive potential? My solution is if you choose to continue engaging in an addiction, at least be conscious of how it might be affecting you whether you realize it or not. That's what this thread is about. Thank me later ;)

It's not social media but who you follow.

Follow accounts that release oxytocin (accounts that make you feel loved and speak truth) instead of following accounts that release cortisol (accounts that are coming from a place of separation). And don't use social media for a dopamine high (getting validation for the ego from what you post).

Ultimately, the chemical reactions are not caused from the external world. The chemical lab is your own creation........that seems to be caused from the outside world.

Personally not a fan of the "dark philosopher persona thing" that some "smart" intellectuals have.

But the chain of desire in social media is well put through Lacan if you ask me.

By the way. I like :) that there is no like button on a forum like this!

Edited by MrWolf