Natasha

How Social Media Is Destroying Our Brain

37 posts in this topic

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

This is not a very popular topic, unfortunately.

Being a part of a tribe and throwing rocks at our 'opponents' interests and excites people far more than admitting that our own brains have been hacked. Maybe humans will evolve over the next few million years. :) 

this is something i’ve been thinking about for over a year. i was obsessed with social media since 6th grade. it made everything in highschool super overdramatic, i felt like i needed to be perfect. i took a long break for a year and decided now all i will do is follow/ talk to people i know in real life and post my art. it’s perfect i don’t care about it anymore. balance is key

On 10/11/2020 at 11:32 AM, Natasha said:

@lmfao Thanks for sharing! Wish more people knew and understood this.

All the free information and novelty, I think it taxes the brain, dopamine more specifically perhaps.

As far as explanations go for dummies, drugs are addictive due to dopamine system being abused. Apparently, its a statistical fact that smoking is more addictive than other hardcore drugs. Because with smoking, you can take puffs very frequently 24/7. And some other drugs don't have such a frequent and regular input, hence less addictive. 

But the Internet, that's like taking puffs very frequently. Every scroll, click, etc, your brain treats it like a slot machine. Since you have to sift through information and posts you pay attention to from those you won't pay attention to. So there's uncertainty in reward - - - - > dopamine high of a gambler. 

Obviously that's a little bit of an exaggeration with calling every scroll or click a slot machine, but in the grand scheme of things that's how it works when put together and flowing. 

We've all had that experience of scrolling and scrolling, looking for something. That's the slot machine at work. 

And the  when your dopamine is wrecked, your motivation and ability to take action is worsened

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

The Social Dilemma and The True Toxicity of Social Media

Pros/Cons..

The reaction to how bad X could be is typically worse than X itself. 

Though I'd be surprised if Greens share this view.

Edited by nitramadas

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

@lmfao Great share. I am working on implementing some stuff from that. I am doing a 2 hour timer for internet browsing a day right now too and it seemed really effective today. 

@nitramadas Sam Vaknin also makes a point that social media breeds and enables the unhealthy kind of narcissism in the society. Social media has become a huge playground for the ego. The insidious nature of it is that it changes one's personality very subtly and gradually. The rate of suicides among young people also grew to up 34% vs when just 10 yrs ago accidents were the leading cause. Social media seems to zombify people and make them slaves to the undisciplined mind. In some countries social media addiction is treated as mental disorder and I think rightly so.

11 minutes ago, Natasha said:

@nitramadas Social media has become a huge playground for the ego

Isn't that great, though?  Now egos can't stay hidden, they're exposed and vulnerable.  If you can't see it, you can't fight it.  We're simply seeing the acceleration of what was always inevitable. 

44 minutes ago, nitramadas said:

Pros/Cons..

The reaction to how bad X could be is typically worse than X itself. 

Though I'd be surprised if Greens share this view.

That’s the biggest trap that greens have 

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Just now, abrakamowse said:

That’s the biggest trap that greens have 

I didn't wanna be blunt, but yeah.. Only back when I was Green would I have shared the sentiment.

@nitramadas I’m beginning to understand a lot of that things. I used to be very vocal about some political stuff and I realized that trying to impose my view I was only making people distance from me. Unless they shared my POV. 

Some red/orange would call me a SJW

?

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Watch "The Social Dilemma" on netflix.

It is not just harmful for the brain, it is especially harmful for society at large.

Glory to Israel