Jo96

If consciousness is not in the brain?

33 posts in this topic

@Dand Imagination IS reality.

Once you grasp that, there's nothing further to deconstruct.

But don't assume you grasp it. There is much there to be grasped. More than you imagine ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

If consciousness existed within the brain, there could be no here or there. You could only be conscious of what was in the brain, not the rest of your body or your surroundings or anything else outside.

And YET, there is no here or there anyway which is exactly why there can seem to be here and there. 

Fucking brilliant. Well played God, well played. 

"Ahem, playing not played."

Oh right. This, Now, Isness. Gotcha. 

"No, you don't got nothing." 9_9

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

7 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

If consciousness existed within the brain, there could be no here or there. You could only be conscious of what was in the brain, not the rest of your body or your surroundings or anything else outside.

And YET, there is no here or there anyway which is exactly why there can seem to be here and there. 

Fucking brilliant. Well played God, well played. 

"Ahem, playing not played."

Oh right. This, Now, Isness. Gotcha. 

"No, you don't got nothing." 9_9

You should start a non-duality channel.

You seem to understand how it works and can explain it without being condescending as hell.

A rare skill :ph34r:

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

On 11/8/2020 at 11:39 AM, Jo96 said:

What does the brain do? What is the purpose of it? Furthermore does anyone have any reasonable arguments/ proofs/ excersizes to do that I could investigate that consiousness did not originate from my brain? 

Maybe this article can be of help...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/think-well/201906/does-consciousness-exist-outside-the-brain

There's more to it, but it can be of help. I was very materialistic, I believed a lot in a world made of "matter" and some scientific theories helped me to understand that matter is not matter or at least not what we think it is... so maybe this can help to explore that topic further...

Mostly doing meditation contemplation self inquiry... etc

Edited by abrakamowse

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

On 08/11/2020 at 4:39 PM, Jo96 said:

What does the brain do? What is the purpose of it? Furthermore does anyone have any reasonable arguments/ proofs/ excersizes to do that I could investigate that consiousness did not originate from my brain? 

This question seems very familiar, but I don't know why. Anyway...

Tricky things to contemplate:

1. Your conscious experience includes more than brains right? So is it possible brains are inside consciousness, instead of consciousness being inside brains?

2. Is it possible to have an experience that isn't in consciousness? Think deeply about it. If not then there is nothing outside consciousness - everything is consciousness.

3. If the only way to prove the brain produces consciousness, is by using your conscious experience, can you trust that? Isn't that circular reasoning?

4. If a brain produces consciousness, then it must be outside of consciousness and separate from it. So how can point 2 be true?

All stories and explanations are false.

The proof of Consciousness is connection, not perception.

The brain perceives the world through sense organs. If Consciousness was produced by the brain, the perception would be all there is. We would only experience a one-way stream of information that ends in us.

Consciousness is experiencing the connection between all things, including ourselves, as part of the matrix. It is omni-directional. It is the spiritual resonance that infuses and encompasses everything. It is this vibrant energy connecting everything together, that we experience directly, and in all directions. Ultimately, it collapses into a singularity of light. That experience, of ourselves and of all things, as Consciousness itself, is the ultimate reality.

Edited by Moksha

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

1 hour ago, Shin said:

You should start a non-duality channel.

You seem to understand how it works and can explain it without being condescending as hell.

A rare skill :ph34r:

Aww, thanks! I still have my youtube channel. It's just having fun, like an expressive dance. You learn some moves, you improv others as you go. This is what I've been really wanting to do my entire life, where the duality between work and play goes to die. And... I believe that we are all called to do the very same. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

2 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

Aww, thanks! I still have my youtube channel. It's just having fun, like an expressive dance. You learn some moves, you improv others as you go. This is what I've been really wanting to do my entire life, where the duality between work and play goes to die. And... I believe that we are all called to do the very same. 

Dance it sister ? 

Edited by Moksha

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

On 08/11/2020 at 10:09 PM, Jo96 said:

What does the brain do? What is the purpose of it?

Exactly the moment you wrote this here, that very moment while you were typing this, the way you framed the question, topic, and whatever you were thinking while asking this that very function is what brain makes you capable of doing. It's rt there in your head as an organ it is functioning in order to function the way it is designed for, that's it's DHARMA or to say it's purpose, asking itself.

On 08/11/2020 at 10:09 PM, Jo96 said:

Furthermore does anyone have any reasonable arguments/ proofs/ excersizes to do that I could investigate that consiousness did not originate from my brain?

Ofc, Start with Reading, read some quality books on Consciousness. The Spectrum Of Consciousness  by Ken Wilber is one such guide to go ahead with.

Edited by ajai

A good article imo: https://highexistence.com/consciousness-spiritual-perspective/

I like "panspiritism", it feels right to me and makes sense etc.

That Steve Taylor guy has also wrote a book called "Spiritual Science".

Description of the book:

"It is often assumed that there are two ways of interpreting the world: a rational scientific way, or an irrational religious way. Spiritual Science offers a third alternative: a spiritual view of reality that transcends both conventional science and religion, and answers many of the riddles that neither can explain. The standard model of science has had little success in explaining such areas as human consciousness, the connection between the mind and the body, altruism and ‘anomalous’ phenomena such as near-death experiences, psi phenomena (such as telepathy) and spiritual experiences. But from a ‘panspiritist’ point of view – which sees spirit or consciousness as a fundamental essence of reality – it is possible to make sense of all these things.

Steve Taylor puts forward the evidence for a spiritual view of reality, drawing on the insights of philosophers, physicists, mystics, as well as spiritual traditions and indigenous cultures. He systematically shows how a ‘panspiritist’ view can explain many puzzling aspects of science and the world, including evolution and the origins of life, and a wide range of other phenomena such as quantum physics, the placebo effect, precognition and neuroplasticity.

Spiritual Science offers a new vision of the world that is compatible with both modern science and ancient spiritual teachings. It provides a more accurate and holistic account of reality than conventional science or religion, integrating a wide range of phenomena that are excluded from both. After showing how the materialist worldview demeans the world and human life, Spiritual Science offers a brighter alternative – a vision of the world as sacred and interconnected, and of human life as meaningful and purposeful.

Spiritual Science explains how the standard materialist model of reality developed, and turned into a belief system. This belief system can only function by denying (or explaining away) a whole range of phenomena that are part of human experience. It is possible to be scientific without adopting this belief system – in fact, it is much more rational to do so."

@Leo Gura

Edited by Blackhawk

If your starting point is a materialistic belief in the brain, consider that every time you open your eyes, you are actually looking directly at your brain, not the  external world. Sight is a process happening in the brain, what you can see is energy after it has entered and been processed by the brain. The external world is a thought deduction from that. Same with the other senses too. 

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

There have been cases where they have discovered people living without any brains.

: )