legendary

Let's get Sean Carroll on Actualized.org for a discussion about Science

32 posts in this topic

The episode 'Deconstructing The Myth Of Science - Part 1' was full of golden nuggets of wisdom. I see that Leo is planning to have a live Q&A with an academic scientist or a professional for the 5th episode of the series.

How about we invite Sean Carroll on? He is a brilliant academic, explains complex ideas very well, and has already debated different people ranging from creationists to Buddhist Scholars.

There could be a number of approaches:

1. We create a small petition, get some signs, and email him about the opportunity once we have like 500 signs.

2. Someone just directly sends him an email, hoping he'll take notice.

3. We contact him on his social media

4. We hope he finds the video on YouTube and contacts Leo by himself.

I prefer the first approach. Let me know what you think :)

P.S.: I don't see this working if the necessary condition is that the scientist should have studied Parts 1-4 of this series before the 5th episode. I don't think a scientist who fundamentally disagrees with Actualized.org will spend all that time.

We are enslaved by anything we do not consciously see. We are freed by conscious perception.

- Vernon Howard

You have to understand that no professional academic of high status will want to associate with me. Because it will get them excommunicated.

The entire game of academia and science requires that you not associate yourself with anyone considered by the established consensus as a crackpot. And of course I am a crackpot by definition, since what I say cannot possibly be true according to science.

This problem of question-begging and circularity runs very deep.

To understand the things I teach requires such an open mind that if your mind was that open, you'd probably not be a serious scientist. Hence almost any professional I talk to will not understand what I am saying because his career requires him to not understand it.

This is game that the mind plays. It's like trying to convince a tobacco CEO that tobacco is bad. Not for him it isn't.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

13 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

This is game that the mind plays. It's like trying to convince a tobacco CEO that tobacco is bad. Not for him it isn't.

Is tobacco actually bad though? I mean it both literally and figuratively.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Plenty of scientists are total crackpots. Many QM pioneers famously kept saying batshit stuff and it hasn't hurt their standing (quite the contrary). I wouldn't put anything past Carroll for instance. He has very little credibility as far as I'm concerned. There is of course a respectability game going on among scientists but the ones who made it have got it made.

I have no loyalty to what you call "the truth" by the way. Some of us don't care much whether what you say true, Leo. Just like scientists typically have no use for formal "meta-science", they have no use for the truth or even sanity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

You have to understand that no professional academic of high status will want to associate with me. Because it will get them excommunicated.

The entire game of academia and science requires that you not associate yourself with anyone considered by the established consensus as a crackpot. And of course I am a crackpot by definition, since what I say cannot possibly be true according to science.

I would just add: associating with you in a public way that would be visible to their students, colleagues and University administration. 

Going to the fringes with stuff like Quantum Mechanics and the relativity of perception would be fine - yet going to the center of the snowball together - fundamentally prior/meta to science could Deepak Chopra/Timothy Leary/Dean Radin the science academic. I think there are a lot of academic scientists are open to the fringes, yet few would be willing (or able) to go to the core with you in a public forum, especially if they don’t have psychedelic experience and have a reputation as a mainstream academic scientist. 

Imagine an academic scientist discussing with you how their psychedelic trips have expanded their understanding of science and reality. Mainstream academia just isn’t there yet. Yet times are changing. 

I did an ayahuasca retreat and that changed my perception of science. 

Now I'm more open minded to metaphysics. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Leo, you are in a very interesting position.

Also, I think Deepak says similar things to what you say, and some others who are PhD's and Doctors etc. I know they get a lot of heat probably...

Interested to see what comes out of this. 

"Yet Times are changing" - Forestluv

@Leo Gura You should get this guy Jeffrey

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

59 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

"Times are changing" - Forestluv Bob Dylan

@Leo Gura You can reach out to interview Eric Weinstein.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Weinstein

Eric has a PhD from Harvard in mathematics and he is the loudest scientist that is in opposition to the way Science is currently done. 

Based on his profile, I think he is the most likely high profile scientist that can accept your proposal for an interview. 

Here is his interview with Roger Penrose as a reference to his depth of knowledge. ;) 

@Leo GuraAlexander Wendt would be an awesome interview partner. He’s a well-respected and very openminded political scientist and has talked about quantum physics and UFOs.

Edited by Advocate

@Leo Gura how about Bernardo Kastrup? He is interviewed by channels much smaller than Actualized.org. He has his PhDs but is not dependent on academia for his money or reputation. In fact, he criticizes academia quite a lot. He is an advocator of idealism, he's open to psychedelics, etc. I think he is a very good fit (if you think about an interview at all).

On 10/26/2020 at 0:54 AM, Gesundheit said:

Is tobacco actually bad though? I mean it both literally and figuratively.

Nicotine is actually a nootropic, people just add a shit ton of garbage into cigarettes and things like snus are sold in way higher doses than optimal.

You can buy nicotine gum for the same reason you would buy any other nootropic.

10 hours ago, Petals said:

@Leo Gura how about Bernardo Kastrup? He is interviewed by channels much smaller than Actualized.org. He has his PhDs but is not dependent on academia for his money or reputation. In fact, he criticizes academia quite a lot. He is an advocator of idealism, he's open to psychedelics, etc. I think he is a very good fit (if you think about an interview at all).

He would agree with everything I say. So it's not going to convince anyone.

The problem is someone within the traditional paradigm is needed, but he also has to be openminded. It's like looking for a hen with teeth.

13 hours ago, Michal__ said:

Nicotine is actually a nootropic, people just add a shit ton of garbage into cigarettes and things like snus are sold in way higher doses than optimal.

??

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Update: 

I emailed Sean Carroll about this and here is his reply. 

Sean_reply.png

We are enslaved by anything we do not consciously see. We are freed by conscious perception.

- Vernon Howard

On 10/25/2020 at 7:39 PM, Leo Gura said:

This problem of question-begging and circularity runs very deep.

To understand the things I teach requires such an open mind that if your mind was that open, you'd probably not be a serious scientist. Hence almost any professional I talk to will not understand what I am saying because his career requires him to not understand it.

I don’t think it’s that serious. He’s done an interview with Joe Rogan ffs. 

1 hour ago, Free Mind said:

Joe Rogan and Leo are very different. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

9 hours ago, Free Mind said:

Lol

Joe Rogan presents no existential threat to Sean Carroll.

I do.

After talking to me, Sean will be in a depression for a month curled up in a fetal position in the corner of his CalTech office.

On 28/10/2020 at 8:23 PM, Michal__ said:

@Michal__ 

Nicotine a nootropic. Sure, an stimulating high that lasts 3 minutes, and that it literally produces anxiety for +10minutes afterwards if you don´t have tolerance to it. 

Nicotine is one of the shittiest things i´ve tried. Basically almost any drug is superior to nicotine.

Edited by Javfly33

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

After talking to me, Sean will be in a depression for a month curled up in a fetal position in the corner of his CalTech office.

?

I have a feeling that he has a hidden interest in psychedelics, so that might be just an appearance.

https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/podcast/2020/02/03/82-robin-carhart-harris-on-psychedelics-and-the-brain/