Tim R

Neo Advaita Trap

34 posts in this topic

A very good friend of mine has fallen into the rationalistic sort of "there's nothing to understand"-Neo-Advaita Trap... He thinks that he has understood, but as we start to engage in a discussion, it very quickly becomes obvious, that he hasn't. When Buddhists say "there's nothing to understand" he thinks that this is to be understood literally - in the sense of "rational understanding". And that's right, of course there's nothing to understand (with the mind!!), but only though direct experience

Now, today I tried to explain to him why existence literally is love, as I came to understand a week or two ago. Of course I know that there isn't really any point in trying to explain this, but I just wanted to hint at it. He then tried to explain to me how it could be the other way round - hate being the absolute "quality" of reality (as you will find out rather quickly, this can't be).

As much as I love him, concerning this (and Non-duality as a whole), he is deluded and hasn't yet understood/experienced, what is actually meant. 

How to get him on the right track? How to disperse his delusions? It actually concerns me a bit, because it's this toxic, sort of unpleasant (Hardcore-) Neo-Advaita...

He's going to need a mystical experience to take him past his rational mind

Edited by Observore

Psychedelics will humble him up real quick.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

58 minutes ago, Tim R said:

Now, today I tried to explain to him why existence literally is love, as I came to understand a week or two ago.

Lol. You say it like it was nothing.

Looks like somebody else too have fallen into another trap... :)

Just let him know that there are amazing awakenings waiting for him, each will bring him more happiness, balance and insights. Follow your feeling and intuition always!

There is nothing to understand. Indeed.

Not your ordinary folk is gonna get such deep insight. Only someone who has gone through it all. 

It might be a good place for you to start by recognizing that you don't understand anything. Never did. Never will. 

Another  step which can also illuminate the first step.. Is try to draw the boundary between what you think is you and what you think is the thing that you are understanding.  

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

@Tim R

Have you considered as a friend he trusts you not to sabotage a vulnerable ego while it needs to re root. If you fear monger without cause you are poo pooing on the spiritual journey. Just fuel his best qualities, leave him be or bring something to the table. If he leaves it, leave him. 

Let him grow.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Watch Tony Robbins and jim Newman lol he will get sick of it. 

it’s great to humble yourself with the wisdom of nothingness/emptiness/darkness/void. But nothing to understand is only a half truth, because of you understand there is nothing to understand paradoxically you’re still understanding something.

I haven’t had many mystical experiences or enlightenment/awakenings but I feel wise enough to say it’s easy to get stuck in the extremes of I’m god and love and everything and the highs or the lows of I’m nothing/ nothing matters/ no point/ don’t exist 

just got to constantly remind yourself that both are true and neither are true

38 minutes ago, Gidiot said:

it’s great to humble yourself with the wisdom of nothingness/emptiness/darkness/void. But nothing to understand is only a half truth, because of you understand there is nothing to understand paradoxically you’re still understanding something.

You don't come to understand there is nothing to understand. You come to understand there is no you to understand anything. And ofcourse once you understand that you will  realize you didn't understand it because there wasn't any you to understand that there isn't any you. And if you understand what I'm saying you will understand that indeed there is nothing to understand. 

Saying there is nothing to understand is identical to saying you already understand everything by being it. It's all self-understanding itself .  The seeking for rational understanding which is inherently limited is to dwell deeper in delusion.   

When the subject - object duality collapses.. You come to realize you are what you seek to understand. There is no longer anything outside of yourself that needs to be understood. You are being it. 

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

@Tim R I sympathize with you. Seeing people that are dear to us stuck in hell is painful to experience.

It gets easier when you realize that this place still exists as a part of you and decide to welcome it as integral to your existence.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

33 minutes ago, tsuki said:

@Tim R I sympathize with you. Seeing people that are dear to us stuck in hell is painful to experience.

It gets easier when you realize that this place still exists as a part of you and decide to welcome it as integral to your existence.

@tsuki Yes, very true. Gotta learn to love this too, you're right.

14 hours ago, Tim R said:

A very good friend of mine has fallen into the rationalistic sort of "there's nothing to understand"-Neo-Advaita Trap... He thinks that he has understood, but as we start to engage in a discussion, it very quickly becomes obvious, that he hasn't. When Buddhists say "there's nothing to understand" he thinks that this is to be understood literally - in the sense of "rational understanding". And that's right, of course there's nothing to understand (with the mind!!), but only though direct experience

Now, today I tried to explain to him why existence literally is love, as I came to understand a week or two ago. Of course I know that there isn't really any point in trying to explain this, but I just wanted to hint at it. He then tried to explain to me how it could be the other way round - hate being the absolute "quality" of reality (as you will find out rather quickly, this can't be).

As much as I love him, concerning this (and Non-duality as a whole), he is deluded and hasn't yet understood/experienced, what is actually meant. 

How to get him on the right track? How to disperse his delusions? It actually concerns me a bit, because it's this toxic, sort of unpleasant (Hardcore-) Neo-Advaita...

You believe others to be unenlightened because of your own story you are projecting. What if he tells you that reality can be hate?  Just one character talking to another about duality. That's all we can do. The love you are pointing to is beyond the dualities. No character will be enlightened. You have taken your enlightenment experience into the character and presenting the nondual love as if it in any way excludes hate as an experience within it. OFcourse it doesn't. Nondual love embraces everything. All negative qualities are only negative to the mind. Your friend is right. Many are deluded that they can become an enlightened character and this is just the biggest ego trap. 

Only the present moment can be enlightened. Any person on a journey to enlightenment is not what is important. Pathless path baby. 

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

Do, agree biggest trap ever. Love my metaphores. 

13 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Psychedelics will humble him up real quick.

Agree with this too. 

Love is the answer. 

I would say being is the ground of reality pure beingness, not even love. As consciousness became aware of itself through itself or creation, then love emerged.

Hate can't be the ground of anything. How can god hate anything if it is everything xDD

These are egoic emotions, created from separation and survival needs: greed, hate, anger.

God has no egoic needs, no need to survive it just is.

Edited by Bulgarianspirit

7 minutes ago, Bulgarianspirit said:

I would say being is the ground of reality pure beingness, not even love. As consciousness became aware of itself through itself or creation, then love emerged.

Hate can't be the ground of anything. How can god hate anything if it is everything xDD

These are egoic emotions, created from separation and survival needs: greed, hate, anger.

God has no egoic needs, no need to survive it just is.

Strong resonance with this. 

Yup!  

Before Abraham was, isness is. 

But some equate the pointer isness/being with the pointer love. Meaning that both these words point to same no-thing.

But its confusing sometimes what people mean, because love is used in other ways also. By using it it's kind of painting fornless Bei-ng with a pinkish brush.

Not bad from point of view of the law of attraction i guess. 

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

Before psychedelics were taken,  isness is. 

Love doesn't "emerge".

Love is.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Love doesn't "emerge".

Love is.

15 hours ago, Tim R said:

But in the relationship forum you said something among the lines of " you dont love her until you f her " ??? I guess that was about that other, romantic love. That's why the word love is confusing :P