Leo Gura

The Allure Of Identity

46 posts in this topic

White woman built her entire life around pretending she was black/brown:

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

When Green goes too far.

51 minutes ago, Opo said:

This is actually my favorite clip on youtube xDxDxD omg

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

An interesting twist. For hundreds of years, very light skinned black people would often try to ‘pass’ as being white. I’ve seen documentaries in which a light skinned black person leaves their family, marries a white person and creates an entire backstory why s/he has no family contact. And then one of the descendants finds out years later.  I can see the motivation historically since a person could escape the effects of racism. . . It’s interesting to see it occur in the opposite direction. I’ve seen lots of falsely people claim partial heritage - like falsely claiming they are 1/8 American Indian. Yet I hadn’t seen cases of full on identification.

The cases of trying to pass for a minority seem to occur more often in University that are green - there may be some benefits and cred. they seek. I doubt many people would try to pass for a minority in other environments, like an insurance salesman. 

Reminds me of Rachel Dolezal... yall remember her? I think she had some issues though. Not sure about this lady.

5 hours ago, Forestluv said:

An interesting twist. For hundreds of years, very light skinned black people would often try to ‘pass’ as being white. I’ve seen documentaries in which a light skinned black person leaves their family, marries a white person and creates an entire backstory why s/he has no family contact. And then one of the descendants finds out years later.  I can see the motivation historically since a person could escape the effects of racism. . . It’s interesting to see it occur in the opposite direction. I’ve seen lots of falsely people claim partial heritage - like falsely claiming they are 1/8 American Indian. Yet I hadn’t seen cases of full on identification.

The cases of trying to pass for a minority seem to occur more often in University that are green - there may be some benefits and cred. they seek. I doubt many people would try to pass for a minority in other environments, like an insurance salesman. 

Here in India, there is a caste system. It used to be a really rigid fixed social structure. If your dad was a farmer, you'd be a farmer. If your dad was a jeweller, you'd be a jeweller. So the lower castes have historically faced discrimination and oppression.

Over the years, under British rule, this started to change. It had to, because of pressure from the Brits. When India became independent of British rule, the person who wrote the Indian Constitution was Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar, someone from one of the lowest castes. He wrote it to really give additional opportunities to lower-caste people. (You may think that was a Green SJW move. I think it was a Blue move, cuz it was 'for my caste') Now, 60-70 years later, everyone wants to get a lower-caste certificate! Everyone wants to be classified that way because of the benefits it gives. You can consider it a move towards communism.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Playing victim is a very popular ego defense strategy.

Start to notice how often people do it, and how often you do throughout your own life.

One of the most sneaky ways people play victim is in intimate relationships.

Playing the victim in society is the easiest ad most devious way to gain privilege.

As soon as you play the victim, everybody around you who is not a victim is "superior" to you and from that hierarchical inequality you start do derive privileges. People will now have to treat you in special ways. However, because you weren't in a genuinely "underprivileged" situation in the first place, you simply gain privilege.

If I were for example disabled and thus "underprivileged" in certain ways, the people around me who aren't disabled will have to treat me in special ways to allow me to live a more or less equally privileged life in the same situations (e.g. building all sorts of facilities, helping me with daily tasks, showing more compassion, understanding and forbearance for my incapabilities than you might show towards healthy people, etc.).

But if I'm only playing to be in an underprivileged position, I fool people into treating me as someone special who because of my underprivileged situation who is in need for privileges to live an equally good life.

Playing the victim is directly correlated to narcissism. Narcissists will blame everybody but themselves.

Playing the victim is extremely disrespectful towards people who are actually in underprivileged situations, because if I push it too far, people will notice and draw back from helping actually underprivileged people, since they can't be sure any longer who's a con artist and who's not.

Edited by Tim R

1 minute ago, Etherial Cat said:

And the irony is that you are an oppressor to the underprivileged you've been stealing from, while claiming you're there to help and further their cause. Some sort of hypocrite double agent.

That is exactly correct.

To the hypocrisy you mention there is a very closely correlating problem: excessive/hypocritical political correctness.

Political correctness is a good and useful thing if it stems from genuine compassion for the downtrodden.

If on the other hand I label myself as "oppressor" and then showcase compassion which is actually not genuine and hypocritical, I place myself into a "holier than thou"-situation.

I am always (morally) superior, as long as I pretend to recognize myself as an oppressor; and than I just don't do anything about it (because the compassion wasn't genuine in the first place).

Žižek is great!!

And his sniffing always gets me...xDxD

1 hour ago, Etherial Cat said:

you are an oppressor to the underprivileged you've been stealing from, while claiming you're there to help and further their cause.

Consider the possibility, though, that she was actually helping black and brown people by pretending to be one.

Her problem was that she cared so much it backfired.

It's better to be a fake black person fighting for BLM vs a republican who's in denial about systemic racism. Which is why excessive Green is still better than excessive Blue.

Being a fake black person hurts very few people compared to other ways one could be. Even if you steal 1 professorship, that's still peanuts compared to how much good you could be doing in other ways.

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Being a fake black person hurts very few people compared to other ways one could be. Even if you steal 1 professorship, that's still peanuts compared to how much good you could be doing in other ways.

@Leo Gura How do you think people should deal with such a situation? Dismiss it, if more good than harm was done?

Some women want a lot of attention and sympathy. 

They will do anything for it 

Damsel in distress syndrome. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

1 hour ago, Tim R said:

@Leo Gura How do you think people should deal with such a situation? Dismiss it, if more good than harm was done?

I think Hasan's reaction is perfect. The humiliation she gets is punishment enough I think. Such people clown themselves.

6 hours ago, Thewritersunion said:

Leafyishere 

I'm exhausted by social media 

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

At least she knew she was faking her identity. I think we're all deeply afraid of being found out. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

But if a man said he was a woman we would support him...

That’s 2020 American culture for you.

12 hours ago, Parththakkar12 said:

Everyone wants to be classified that way because of the benefits it gives. You can consider it a move towards communism

Apart from when it comes to getting the benefits, nobody wants to be called “lower” caste. People still hide their caste due to shame while others boast about it everywhere. So in that way it’s very different from the situation in the US.

I don’t know enough about reservations. Maybe the are needed. But it happens in  the US too, under affirmative action and diversity schemes. If not officially, the people unofficially try to have a diverse set of people, which is de facto reservations.