Leo Gura

Make Your 2020 General Election Predictions Here!

2,418 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Consilience said:

Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 3.49.03 PM.png

Trump's brain will not connect these dots because he is not in his rational mind. This shows that his stage is prior to Orange or even Blue, it's Red.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

NV update: Good news for Biden lovers. NV just released more data that expanded Biden's lead. This puts Biden up 21K votes (0.8%). A losing candidate can request a recount, yet it would be really hard to prevent the calling of a state with a 0.8% lead in which the loser requested a recount without evidence of tabulation errors. (It would be similar to Trump requesting a recount in WI). The optics of that would be awful, especially since Biden is in the stronger position. The AP and FoxNews called AZ for Biden and they don't want to retract that call. They are sitting on NV, until they are 100% sure on AZ. Calling NV for Biden would declare Biden the winner. 

Trump can request a recount in NV, yet I don't think it would be taken seriously without a recount in AZ or PA. From my POV, Trump will need a recount in AZ or PA. And there is relatively good news out of AZ - Biden just led in a new batch released from Yuma. This is a county Trump is winning by 6%. This puts him further off pace. Currently, Biden has a 1.1% lead and it's looking more and more unlikely Trump will reach the 0.1% threshold for a state-mandated recount. AZ does not allow a loser to request a recount. Yet I suppose Trump could try to get one via a lawsuit if it's under 0.5%. Yet Trump winning a lawsuit to over-ride AZ law and force a recount is not a good look. That is very different than a state like GA that will conduct an auto state-mandated recount. If Trump closes to under 0.2%, that is well within recount range - and most states would have an auto recount. In this case, the strict AZ recount laws would benefit Biden. Yet I could see a court mandating an AZ recount if PA enters a recount and Trump is within 0.5% in AZ. 

The next large data release from AZ will be about 9pm est and it will give a better idea how close Trump can get. 

My impression is that 0.5% seems to be perceived as a "reasonable" standard for a recount. 

In PA, Biden has expanded his lead to 19.5k. . . Only 1% of provisional ballots have been reported. Although they were from deeply red areas, Trump barely won them. As well, statewide provisional ballots are 0.9% of the total vote, yet over 2% of ballots in Philly are estimated to be provisional - so there are a disproportionate number of ballots in Philly. And historically, provisional ballots heavily favor Dems. So there is no reason to believe that the provisional ballots will favor Trump. It's much more likely the provisionals will favor Biden. 

1 minute ago, b_woo said:

I just wish you guys had someone of the same caliber as our leader at the helm.

Be patient, a larger country is naturally slower to change course. The US took 2-3 decades longer than NZ to allow women to vote at all.

I predict the US will have an Ardern-level of leader within the next 340 years.

3 minutes ago, b_woo said:

No worries, all good. I'm a kiwi - we are mostly easy going and pretty chill! I just wish you guys had someone of the same caliber as our leader at the helm. She does us proud. 

Im from the UK and Johnson is probably only slightly better than Trump, wish we were ready for a prime minister like yours though :/

Greetings to all of you from Slovenia. When do you think you will have the winner of the Us elections? Next week or sooner?

5 minutes ago, Bojan V said:

Greetings to all of you from Slovenia. When do you think you will have the winner of the Us elections? Next week or sooner?

It depends on how successful Trump is in court battles and recounts.

Also, whenever the results are conclusive that Biden wins is when Trump becomes really dangerous. Everything we’ve seen up until now is a calm and controlled Donald Trump. We still have 2.5 months of him as president, and might stop caring and go completely nuts out of shear desperation and anger.

Edited by Willie

Just now, Willie said:

It depends on how successful Trump is in court battles and recounts.

Unless something drastic happens, the election is basically decided. I think some of the states are doing recounts, but that is highly unlikely to change the overall results. Plus legal challenges may possibly drag out making it official for several weeks.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

9 minutes ago, Bojan V said:

It's hard to predict because Biden isn't clearly beyond recount thresholds - which means nearly all the votes need to be counted before a state is called. The last 3% or so of ballots take the longest to process because they include damaged ballots and provisional ballots. Those ballots can't be processed through a machine, they need to be processed by a person. The machines can process ballots much much faster than hand processing. 

4 minutes ago, DocWatts said:

Unless something drastic happens, the election is basically decided. I think some of the states are doing recounts, but that is highly unlikely to change the overall results. Plus legal challenges may possibly drag out making it official for several weeks.

As far as I know, GA is the only state doing a recount at this time. Official declarations may take several weeks, yet calling the election for Biden is a major step forward and would change the narrative. Trump is in a much weaker position after the election is called.

I think at this point, holding back on the call is important for legitimacy. If they wait until there is no chance of a recount, it makes the call much stronger. 

It is also surprising to me that not everyone has a right to vote! Here we don't need to register at all. When we are 18 years old, we have automaticaly a right to vote without any exception.

Edited by Bojan V

19 minutes ago, b_woo said:

No worries, all good. I'm a kiwi - we are mostly easy going and pretty chill! I just wish you guys had someone of the same caliber as our leader at the helm. She does us proud. 

Yeah we wish. She's a great leader. Probably the best in the world right now, can't think of anyone better. She's what the future of politics will look like. 

11 minutes ago, Willie said:

Also, whenever the results are conclusive that Biden wins is when Trump becomes really dangerous. Everything we’ve seen up until now is a calm and controlled Donald Trump. We still have 2.5 months of him as president, and might stop caring and go completely nuts out of shear desperation and anger.

Yep, that's what I fear as well. Who's going to stop him. No one has stood up to him yet and say 'you can't do that'. Could start a civil war just for fun. Hell, does he still have the launch codes??

49% of the country doesn’t even believe the election was fair... and voted for a fascist, you’re doomed. Even if Biden wins you really lost. 

13 minutes ago, Akemrelax said:

49% of the country doesn’t even believe the election was fair... and voted for a fascist, you’re doomed. Even if Biden wins you really lost. 

Yep. Seems like the perfect ingredients for a civil war.

19 minutes ago, Sempiternity said:

Yep. Seems like the perfect ingredients for a civil war.

Dan Carlin makes a somewhat compelling case that one way to de-escalate the cascade to Civil War would be to give Trump an easy way to leave Office, rather than setting up a situation where his Survival is basically on the line the second he leaves office. Makes some interesting parallels to the fall of the Roman Republic, where retributive lawsuits for public figures leaving office created an escalation feedback loop that lead to Civil War.

As much as it chafes against my sense of justice to let Trump get away with the horrible crimes he's committed, from a harm reduction standpoint it makes at least some sense.

Not sure if I entirely agree, but it may take some really outside of the box thinking to avert the very real possibility of an eventual Civil War. One one hand we don't want to incentivize the idea that you can commit crimes in public office and get away scott free, but something has to disrupt the course of polarization in this country.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

5 minutes ago, DocWatts said:

Dan Carlin makes a somewhat compelling case that one way to de-escalate the cascade to Civil War would be to give Trump an easy way to leave Office, rather than setting up a situation where his Survival is basically on the line the second he leaves office. Makes some interesting parallels to the fall of the Roman Republic, where retributive lawsuits for public figures leaving office created an escalation feedback loop that lead to Civil War.

As much as it chafes against my sense of justice to let Trump get away with the horrible crimes he's committed, from a harm reduction standpoint it makes at least some sense.

Not sure if I entirely agree, but it may take some really outside of the box thinking to avert the very real possibility of an eventual Civil War. One one hand we don't want to incentivize the idea that you can commit crimes in public office and get away scot free, but something has to disrupt the course of polarization in this country.

God I hope not. Letting him get away with everything, is almost a worst crime. Through his lack of leadership he is personally responsible for thousands to hundreds of thousands of deaths, that could have been prevented if there was someone competent in charge. I mean, if we discovered a serial killer that killed two hundred thousand people, you don't let him go scot free if half the country likes him. Not a fair comparison, but you get what I'm saying. If he is not held responsible, this is a green light to any monster that wants to rule the world thu the presidency, follow Trump's patterns, to go for unlimited crimes, and no one will stop you. Imagine someone with even less morals, and tens times smarter, taking the presidency? We call Trump fascist, wait till someone worse wins, and letting Trump off is opening a door for that to most assuredly happen. Is making  his cult members happy worth that? Or do we do what is right, and crush any terrorist attacks that the Right-Wing try to pull in retaliation from a fair election. 

4 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

Take all the time you need. Hell take a couple months, if it makes them feel better and stops any violence. As long has he's out of the White House by January 20th, I can care less how long they need to grieve. 

28 minutes ago, DocWatts said:

Not sure if I entirely agree, but it may take some really outside of the box thinking to avert the very real possibility of an eventual Civil War. One one hand we don't want to incentivize the idea that you can commit crimes in public office and get away scott free, but something has to disrupt the course of polarization in this country.

I don’t like that scenario at all. That’s domestic terrorism. One man should be able to go on trial for crimes he has allegedly committed without the threat of war.