diamondpenguin

The U.S. Government is genius.

34 posts in this topic

Has it occurred to anyone else that the United States government is the most genius idea in the history of mankind. Its works so well that there is no one person running the country and it seems to just flow and work effortlessly. Even though there are lots of lobbying and we have a shitty president, freedom still reigns and you can do whatever you want. I have been in many groups and none are put together as well as the government. It's just genius. The government is genius, you can say whatever you want and it doesnt fucking matter. You can build giant space exploration vehicles. You can live the dream life in Hawaii. It's perhaps one of the best inventions of mankind. 

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

It's genius unless you're a black person who gets arrested for weed and locked in prison for 10 years.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

21 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It's genius unless you're a black person who gets arrested for weed and locked in prison for 10 years.

Your right your right. Decriminalization and expungence of pot users is critical. That's the weird thing is that weed is used as a medicine and opens the mind a lot. I've smoked weed a lot and had no bodily harm except maybe the lungs, but the Cbd is a treatment for cancer. I have a lot of black friends and I've really noticed that it's the typical conservative good ol boy white guys who hate black people. If the whole country would legalize pot like everyone over here in the west coast and meditate more the nation would be better off. Musicians have used weed to be more creative with their art for a long time, theres so many benefits, just the only problem is how destructive it is to ones motivation. Leo, do think weed has the potential to grow the mind? 

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

@diamondpenguin Keep in mind that the US government functions as well as it does because of the hard work of millions of individuals each day that keep the system running, regardless of whatever chud is in charge are doing or what the people think of it at the time. There is an army of public workers, attorneys, staffers, receptionists, experts, ministers, judges, accountants, marketers, etc. who work tireless to ensure all the benefits you just described for the average person.

It's actually kind of crazy how much effort is put into running a successful government. If there's one thing I'd like to promote in my time here on earth it's how just incredible and inspiring the work of public administration can be. So many goddamn movies and shows are about CEOs and corporations and all that, and while it's cool to tell stories of sexy advertising men or bankers, have you ever considered how much fucking badassery goes into making sure 8 million kids have food at school 5 days a week all year? There's some great stories to tell in government, lol.

Edited by Apparition of Jack

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

2 hours ago, diamondpenguin said:

Leo, do think weed has the potential to grow the mind? 

Yes. It also has potential to stagnate the mind.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

No support for Kamala Harris then....

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Or someone that struggles to get and maintain even basic healthcare, let alone higher quality healthcare.

4 hours ago, Bodigger said:

No support for Kamala Harris then....

I will take Harris over Pence without hesitation.

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I don't use weed since it's addictive.

@Leo Gura That's an odd thing to say for you... Addiction is primarily psychological with Cannabis. It can greatly aid the mind to think in a much more implicit way, that's what I discovered when I used to smoke it. And of course the potential for creativity-enhancement, which is probably important for your work (not trying to sell you on itxD).

It is a great substance if used properly and conscientiously. And as it goes for every drug; it is not in and of itself addictive.  

47 minutes ago, Tim R said:

Addiction is primarily psychological with Cannabis.

No, I think it's more than that. Weed addiction is very common.

@Leo Gura It is common as many are pre disposed psychologically, but weed itself does not have physically addictive properties as other drugs such as heroin or meth.

@coca Even if that's true, psychological addiction is still no small thing. I try to minimize my psychological addictions.

6 minutes ago, coca said:

@Leo Gura It is common as many are pre disposed psychologically, but weed itself does not have physically addictive properties as other drugs such as heroin or meth.

Weed withdrawals won't kill you, but it will give you brain fog, depression, anxiety, insomnia, lack of appetite, etc. It will affect you on a physiological level. 

1 hour ago, Tim R said:

@Leo Gura That's an odd thing to say for you... Addiction is primarily psychological with Cannabis.

25 minutes ago, coca said:

As an ex-cannabis user, this is the most infuriating misunderstanding out there in common cannabis circles. Firstly, addiction, or more specifically "that which mediates addictive behavior", is 100% psychological. Secondly, there is a rampant conflation of the term "dependence" and "addiction".

What you're talking about is "psychological dependence", which includes emotional–motivational withdrawal symptoms. "Physical dependence" involves persistent physical–somatic withdrawal symptoms. Actual addiction is defined as a compulsive behavior that happens independent of withdrawal symptoms. That means there are additional psychological mechanisms at play that would only compound with the effects of withdrawal.

The conflation of "psychological dependence" and "addiction" is more understandable, as the withdrawal symptoms do infact resemble the emotional states seen in addicts. However, "physical addiction" is nothing but a misnomer. It talks about withdrawal symptoms, not addictive behavior, and it's more analogous to a diabetic needing insulin not to die. Of course physical dependence tends to happen alongside psychological dependence aswell.

The laymen perception of the severity of physical withdrawals are also way overblown, mostly due to the known potential danger of death. Opioid withdrawals for instance are often compared to a mild cold. It's the addictive psychological component that breaks you, and it can come from cannabis just as much as any other drug.

The phrase "addiction is primarily psychological with Cannabis" is only ever said in order to diminish the potential harm caused by addiction. If we want a really good example of how moronic that statement it is, consider the fact that methamphetamine and cocaine possess zero physical dependence qualities, yet they're the go-to example of drug addiction.

Edited by Carl-Richard

46 minutes ago, RendHeaven said:

@Carl-Richard Interesting stuff. How do psychs fit into this picture?

On the topic of dependence, I can't find any information anywhere about dependence or withdrawal symptoms, but they do create tolerance. I've heard about people taking psychedelics frequently, like once a week, and they only reported about needing to up the dose, but nothing about dependence afterwards. Psychedelics are weird.

LSD on Wikipedia:

The NIH states that LSD is addictive,[16] while other sources state it is not.[15][52] A 2009 textbook states that it "rarely produce compulsive use."[5] A 2006 review states it is readily abused but does not result in addiction.[15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysergic_acid_diethylamide

Notice the nuance between "abuse" and "addiction". That's nice.

On the topic of addiction, according to this study, if you define addiction as increased mesocorticolimbic dopamine activity, psychedelics aren't addictive:

pmed.0030437.t001.jpg

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1635740/

That doesn't mean you can't abuse it though ;) 

Edited by Carl-Richard

If you use weed every day for an extended period of time you will likely become addicted. But if you use cannabis with the same frequency as you might use a psychedelic then it is not addictive.

In my experience if you're new to weed and have a low tolerance you're more likely to get way too high to want to use it every day anyway.

Edited by eggopm3
missed a sentence