actualizing25

Will enlightenment bring us happiness?

32 posts in this topic

Will awakening bring us happiness or is it just an empty platitude? I think that enlightement is more a realization/understanding of your true nature than a promise of eternal peace and happiness. Are enlightened beings still suffering like other people? I would say yes, so why is there this promise at all?

Thanks for your answers guys:D

Suffering has it's roots in several illusions which will be dissolved through enlightenment.

Edited by Tim R

4 minutes ago, actualizing25 said:

Are enlightened beings still suffering like other people? I would say yes, so why is there this promise at all?

Not in the same way and they suffer less which is already a good reason to pursue it. It's more like metta okayness and peace than happiness. 

If we take identical twins and one is enlightened and one not, both are suicidally depressed and eventually both commit suicide, I would still much rather be the enlightened one in the prosses

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

31 minutes ago, actualizing25 said:

Are enlightened beings still suffering like other people? 

For sake of argument. "Enlightened Being" and suffering. Really wanna Know.You feel like real G. ❤️ Is insane. What suffering? 

Egotism/false self is root of all suffering or not being this. 

Da dog. 

Edited by zeroISinfinity

No 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

Forget enlightenment for a second, acceptance = happiness. You live in a world that is completely magical, you are completely surrounded by an enchanted fairy tale land, yet your memory and identity of the past blocks you from seeing the magic of the present. Hopefully you can recall how when you were a child and less identified with yourself, reality was much more magical and full of wonder & life. My advice is to start practicing more total acceptance.

Sadhguru's talk of being at ease does a good job of explaining this.

Edited by JC Bailey

Just now, actualizing25 said:

@Someone here why no?

I gotta say there is no such thing as enlightenment or enlightened beings or permanent anything including happiness or any other temporary emotion. Just sayin it as it is  :ph34r:

-Osho

2 minutes ago, Someone here said:

I gotta say there is no such thing as enlightenment or enlightened beings or permanent anything including happiness or any other temporary emotion. Just sayin it as it is  :ph34r:

Why so sure? ?

Just now, zeroISinfinity said:

Why so sure? ?

Contemplate these concepts for yourself

" An enlightened being who is constantly high on bliss "is just a funny Fantasy in my opinion. It doesn't make any physical sense even. This is enlightenment. You are looking at it. It's not event that happens to your non-existing ego. 

-Osho

Will enlightenment bring us happiness?

No, happiness will bring us enlightenment.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

49 minutes ago, Enlightenment said:

If we take identical twins and one is enlightened and one not, both are suicidally depressed and eventually both commit suicide, I would still much rather be the enlightened one in the prosses

Someone enlightened can be suicidally depressed?

@allislove exactly!! 

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it" -Rumi

Just now, Moon said:

Someone enlightened can be suicidally depressed?

OK seriously I'm genuinely interested in knowing the answer.  How in the world could there be an enlightened someone when there aren't any someones in the first place??????   How can something that doesn't exist become this or that??.   "I" is a thought.. Is a thought enlightened? (and enlightened is a thought as well)o.O

-Osho

1 minute ago, Someone here said:

OK seriously I'm genuinely interested in knowing the answer.  How in the world could there be an enlightened someone when there aren't any someones in the first place??????   How can something that doesn't exist become this or that??.   "I" is a thought.. Is a thought enlightened? (and enlightened is a thought as well)o.O

"Someone here"

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it" -Rumi

@Moon we have the label but nothing is under the surface. The real identity. Is enlightenment. So no there are no enlightened persons and not enlightened ones.. A huge misunderstanding and very common one actually.

-Osho

13 minutes ago, Pookie said:

Thinking of enlightenment as a panacea for all of your problems and suffering isn't accurate. Instead, you see these things for what they are, and you're not so much bothered by them as before. As long as you are a human, you will still experience negative emotions and life's problems will not go away. Enlightenment means you are okay with these things that life throws at you. You can still experience misery, depression, and loss, but you embrace these things rather than run away from or be defeated by them. 

Again not so sure. ?

Enlightenment is merely a myth to the distraught seeker. The myth keeps hope alive and hope is fodder for the seeker. The seeker is on a journey in time, it is a denial of all there is, it lives in a dream of what has been and what is to come. It doesn't know what this is, but it hides that by living in it's stories. There is simply what is happening, what is happening is always what is longed for, appearing as change, appearing as words, as sitting on a chair, drinking soda, watching tv, looking for enlightenment, being hopeful or hopeless. Looking for enlightenment or some sort of escape is giving what is happening a reality that it does not have, it is dissatisfying. Freedom is poverty, the loss of the need for specialness, for betterment, it is the total release of the need to change what already is all there is.