Paul5480

Pesticides in Food

24 posts in this topic

Almost all produce is sprayed with pesticides even Organic foods.

Do yall soak your produce in water and baking soda to remove the external pesticides? And what about the pesticides that enter the produce from the soil?

Any tips on reducing pesticide intake would be appreciated. Thanks.

Buy organic and scrub it well with soap and brush/sponge.

Not much else you can do.

You can also do annual detox protocols to remove any accumulated junk in your system.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

and microplastics :/

best solution would probs be to grow some of your own food in a greenhouse? but expensive to set up and maintain as well as time-consuming

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it" -Rumi

@Paul5480 Indeed. I don't usually worry much about organic produce because I just assume its better than conventional and way less harmful. What you really have to worry about is Glyphosate. 

Just now, Moon said:

and microplastics :/

best solution would probs be to grow some of your own food in a greenhouse? but expensive to set up and maintain as well as time-consuming

depending on how much money you make this can even be a way to save more money than you would make spending that time working. I spent many hours building gardens earlier in the spring and now I grow almost all my own vegetables, with no chemicals. After this its very low labor.

I plan to long term solve this problem by living in a permaculture farm or ecovillage

@Leo Gura I saw a video where a guy said soaking vegetables for ~30 minutes in water and baking soda or vinegar removes virtually all pesticides on the surface of produce compared to hand washing which removes virtually none.

Put vegetables and fruit in salt water and turmeric. Tamarind water and vinegar also helps.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

@Paul5480 jeez. You have to virtually avoid all conventional foods because even of the seed itself is not genetically modified, farmers spray a weed killer called round up which comes from monsanto & the pretty much have a implicit monopoly on the produce industry. If you're serious about avoiding Glysophate then I suggest you research it a bit more. There are products like the 'BioMedic' from Purium which has shown to remove glyphosate from our bodies. Also cruciferous vegetables help with glyphosate removal.

5 hours ago, Paul5480 said:

@Leo Gura I saw a video where a guy said soaking vegetables for ~30 minutes in water and baking soda or vinegar removes virtually all pesticides on the surface of produce compared to

I rarely have time for that.

5 hours ago, Paul5480 said:

hand washing which removes virtually none.

Handwashing is junk. I'm talking about scrubbing with soap.

2 hours ago, Red-White-Light said:

@Leo Gura Do you use Castile soap? 

Castile soap just COATS everything in my experience. Good for dry skin, not good for thorough cleaning or your drains. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

3 hours ago, Red-White-Light said:

@Leo Gura Do you use Castile soap? 

No

14 hours ago, Paul5480 said:

@Vipassana how do I avoid glyphosate?

grass fed meat. You really can't avoid glyphosate, no living creature on this planet can at this point in fact. Unfortunately Glyphosate is water soluble so it's pretty much a part of the hydrologic cycle now. Lobbyists and idiot regulators I guess.

Of course there are dramatically varying degrees of the concentration you will be exposed to depending on where your food sources come from.

But yeah, nothing more ecologically sustainable than raising ruminants on grass, no pesticides required

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell

Best option I found is get it directly from a farm you trust. Farmer's market or directly is my best bet. 

Sailing on the ceiling 

On 7/11/2020 at 10:33 AM, Michael569 said:

@Paul5480 unless you grow your own organic crops on a farm that is 50 miles away from nearest city, cattle farm and toxic underground water pesticide avoidance (especially in US) is nearly impossible but that shouldn't stop you from consuming abundance of fruits and vegetables. 

What you can do us to take great care of your gut, liver and kidneys, your main elimination organs. Here are few tips you can do yourself to ensure that those pesticides are being removed seamlessly. Alays start with the gut and work your way to liver and kidneys,. 

GUT care

• 60g+ of fibre per day 
  • Avoidance of unnecessary antibiotics and drugs
  • Using lots of natural herbs and spices ( strong antibacterial property against pathogenic bacteria in small intestines)
  • daily consumption of prebiotic and  (optional) probiotic foods
  • caring for your microbiome as if it was your baby 
  • reduction of animal protein especially red meat, processed meat and factory-farmed beef/poultry, pork and lamb. Ideally only 5-10% of your calories max will come from animals. If you consume protein powders, NEVER consume whey or casein. This stuff should be banned.

LIVER care: 

• cut out all alcohol, tobacco, marihuana and recreational drugs
  • the abundance of foods rich in B-vitamins like wholegrains, legumes and green vegetables
  • Brassica Family vegetables support Phase II detoxification
  • caffeine reduction slows down aggressive Phase I liver detoxification
  • Lots of liquids
  • again avoidance of unnecessary drugs especially painkillers, antibiotics and all sorts of other toxic products like pre workouts, creatines etc
  • Tofu and fermented soy product are amazing for liver detox support 
  • short term NAC or liposomal glutathione supplementation uplifts levels of glutathione. But it is optional and should be only done if the person is completely healthy. 
  • nettle, dandelion celery seeds, parsley and gentian are amazing for liver
  • milk thistle can help but save it for later once the above have been included 
  • Other foods beneficial for liver detoxification phases: apples, beets, beans, green tea, turmeric, berries, rosemary, alium vegetables, rooibos tea, mung bean sprouts, 
  • Essential minerals needed: zinc, selenium, manganese, copper and iron (from food unless anaemic) 
  • Some people like to eat liver to support liver. It can help but it pays to be careful with liver as it can cause iron overload. It should also come from grass-fed organically fed cows. 

KIDNEY CARE

• minimisation of animal protein
  • hydration
  • green vegetables and herbs (parsley, coriander, rosemary, celery 
  • Lots of potassium-rich foods
  • minimise salt 
  • Dandelion Leaf, Juniper Berry, Goldenrod Leaf,  Parsley Leaf,  Stinging Nettle Leaf
  •  

Why no whey protein? I've had good experiences with it when mixing it with plant based milks. 

Edited by Lyubov

9 hours ago, Lyubov said:

Why no whey protein?

Growth factors,  bovine sex hormones, heavy metals, chemicals, thickeners, additives, colourings, sweeteners and all sort of crap. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Whey protein can cause lots of reactions given how much crap they put in it usually.

If you're gonna experiment with whey, you must buy the expensive, pure, organic, grass-fed, addictive-free stuff. But even so, you have to be very careful with any bulk powdered products you consume because they are likely to have heavy metals. And if you drink that stuff every day for months and years, it could make you very toxic without you even knowing it.