Nichts

Is Corona really so dangerous for young people?

81 posts in this topic

Thank you for the information, I hadn't realized that it could be so deadly for young people as well.

The most likely collateral is still the older people that the virus is transmitted to though. I wonder out of the thousands on the Miami beaches during Springbreak, how many will be directly responsible for their parents/grandparents/uncles/aunts dying? Will they realize their partying caused it?

This will teach humanity many lessons, the world will drastically change in the next few years. It's almost a blessing in disguise. 

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3

1 hour ago, LordFall said:

thousands on the Miami beaches during Springbreak, how many will be directly responsible for their parents/grandparents/uncles/aunts dying?

What they do is so wrong? 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

10 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

What they do is so wrong? 

The term “wrong” is relative. It depends on your ethical framework. Some people would consider it wrong to engage in behavior that spreads what is arguably the most dangerous virus in a century. Others wouldn’t consider this as wrong. For example, many libertarians would see nothing wrong with this. 

39 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

The term “wrong” is relative. It depends on your ethical framework. Some people would consider it wrong to engage in behavior that spreads what is arguably the most dangerous virus in a century. Others wouldn’t consider this as wrong. For example, many libertarians would see nothing wrong with this. 

It's still understandable that it is at least irresponsible in a bad way to spread the virus and not give a fuck about how someone else suffers. 

Also it will be okay to guilt people at this time if it helps save some lives. Meta ethics. 

Edited by Preety_India

4 hours ago, tim12345 said:

Excuse my late response but it took a while for the admin to initiate me to this forum.

@Leo Gura 's statistic came straight from the CDC data. The CDC has professional who have devoted their lives to studying infectious disease. Here is the report which was the current hard data at the time it was cited - March 23 - I would expect periodic updates:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm?fbclid=IwAR2h0BPLU-ddHEuBSF0evZ19ILN9NnwFK5CytL_IF9nh9qnfB79K1c_pqfI#F2_down

Here were the hard facts and numbers as of March 23 for young people:

CDC reports for our age group (20-44 years old). As of now - 20% (that's 1 in 5) of 20-44 Y.O.s will need hospitalization and 12% will be in the ICU fighting for their life. The report has all age groups if you want to check yours.

Saying "What I've heard is..." and disregarding the CDC hard numbers would be disseminating misinformation similar to online bot accounts. 

It's also very disappointing to browse through this forum that should be about embodying the clime of spiral dynamics and see such stage red ideas. The "it's not as bad as the media says" Trumpian stage red rhetoric is designed to control and conquest the conduits of information. It's purpose is to undermined hard working journalists that may have information that clashes with his popularity. He wants the power to only promote one or two sources of information to bend the information to his ego. The news media is not perfect but fighting his war against the media is counter productive.

No one should freak out about the virus but we should also not give in to our ego's desire to downplay this deadly disease. I think of Leo's videos when he talks about the "middle path." This would be a great example.

I don't know what numbers you're refering to. From what I can read it says that age 20-44 will have hospitalization between 14.3-20,8% which probably means an expectation of around 17%, not 20% as you say.

Furthermore it says that ICU for the same group is not 12% but 2-4,2%. Dr. John Cambell often use 12% ICU in his analysis when considering the average of ALL age groups.

Finally the case fatality for age 20-44 is reported to be 0,1-0,2%.

So I'm not sure what numbers you're reading from to be honest.

It also reports the "case fertality rate" which probably will be significantly lower than what we're actually trying to estimate, which is the "infection fertality rate" because of a huge amount of cases that will not even be reported. So based on that you could probably expect the numbers to be even lower.

However, this doesn't change your last sentence. We must still take it seriously because there are definitely some young people that will die. And even though it's just 1% or maybe 0,1% you can still die from it even though you're totally healthy and without other health issues. 

6 hours ago, Milos Uzelac said:

about half of those who tested positive are non-symptomatic,” said [Iceland’s chief epidemiologist Thorolfur] Guðnason. “The other half displays very moderate cold-like symptoms.”

So that only means that pretty much everyone is a potential threat to your health.

Luckily they are testing an antibody blood test to determine if someone has had the virus and if so they can be the ones to find out if they now have immunity so they can help jump start normal life plus they can donate blood to help those sick. There are actually companies in this article that are already selling a $10 test for outside the USA.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/03/27/business/27reuters-health-coronavirus-immune-test-insight.html

We will never know the real Covid-19 numbers, they are distorted for various reasons. 

@Soulbass Please take care, if you get coughing and a shortness of breath you best not dilly dally but seek care pronto!

Edited by unicity

3 hours ago, Preety_India said:

It's still understandable that it is at least irresponsible in a bad way to spread the virus and not give a fuck about how someone else suffers. 

On a relative level, I agree with this. Those youngins on the Florida beaches were boneheads and Floridians will likely pay a price for their selfish stupidity. Those crowed beaches were like a Petri dish for the virus. 

@Serotoninluv

1 minute ago, Serotoninluv said:

On a relative level, I agree with this. Those youngins on the Florida beaches were boneheads and Floridians will likely pay a price for their selfish stupidity. Those crowed beaches were like a Petri dish for the virus. 

EXACTLY 

1 hour ago, Keyhole said:

Why do some countries have a higher death rate than others?  Italy now has over 10k people dead, while other countries like China and U.S. have a similar amount of people infected but with a much lower death rate?  Anyone know? Thx. 

Since Italy's hospitals are so overrun with people who are dying, they aren't testing people with mild cases, so their actual number of cases is much higher than reported.

4 hours ago, Keyhole said:

Why do some countries have a higher death rate than others?  Italy now has over 10k people dead, while other countries like China and U.S. have a similar amount of people infected but with a much lower death rate?  Anyone know? Thx. 

two possible factors: demography & cultural/social behaviors (Japanese culture is good at living in isolation and social distancing is quite natural).

top 3 oldest countries:

1. Japan
2. Italy
3. Finland

Edited by Soulbass

@Keyhole Another important factor is also probably resistence to antibiotics. When testing for spesific multiresistent bacterias in different tests, they found that countries with high mortality like Spain and Italy also had high levels of multiresistent bacterias, while countries like Denmark and Norway with significantly lower mortality rates barely had any of these bacterias in their tests.

@w4read Antibiotic resistance wouldn’t be a direct factor since antibiotics do not affect viruses. However high levels of antibiotic resistant bacteria could have an indirect effect. Yet I think this would be low since there would be a low number of people that simultaneously have the Corona virus and a severe case of a antibiotic resistant bacterial infection. These types of opportunistic infections are common in viruses, like HIV, that take years to progress into Aids. Yet the progression from Sars-CoV-2 infection to Covid-19 is only a couple weeks - it’s not much time for an second opportunistic infection to occur and be a major factor. 

@Serotoninluv I believe I read some place that a huge number of cases where people have died, it actually happened because of an bacterial infection which followed the virus. But I'm really not sure about the reliability of the source, so don't take mye word for it. I guess that things like population density and age distribution are more important factors anyway.

@w4read My understanding is that the vast majority of covid-19 cases are due to viral-mediated respiratory failure (ARDS). I haven’t read any reports of deaths due to bacterial infections in covid patients. It’s possible that someone with covid-19 also has a bacterial infection - which worsens their condition. A covid-19 patient may have a weakened immune system and be more vulnerable to a bacterial infection. As well, elderly people start off with a relatively weak immune system. . If this dynamic is occurring, it would certainly be a concern. I’m just not aware of this. 

@w4read Thanks for the link. I think this crisis will change the way society looks at microbes.

From what I researched, this COVID-19 is not so dangerous for young people. Improving immunity will help a lot during these days. It's also a good idea to trust your body can heal in case you get sick.

South Korea is not stopping the economy and, from my last look at the numbers, they're handling the situation very well.

A pandemic like that devastates economy. Not sure if complete lockdown is a good answer.

Media is using fear a lot as well.

The risk of serious symptoms grows bigger the weaker the immune system is. That means health complications like obesity and diabetes make it far more likely even for young people to get seriously ill from covid-19. Since obesity is common in the US even amongst young people I'd say its right for them to be even more serious about keeping themselves from getting infected and infecting others.

Exercise, a healthy diet, and limiting stress can help a lot so keep youselves healthy before you get ill.