theking00

are videos games bad.

22 posts in this topic

I love playing video games. Should i stop playing? 

In my experience it clutters the mind and makes the quality of meditation much less. 

I think it is fine as long as you control when you are going to do it so it doesn't interfere with your other plans. 

1 minute ago, BjarkeT said:

I think it is fine as long as you control when you are going to do it so it doesn't interfere with your other plans. 

Unless games servs your plan.

It ultimately dépend how you play. Why you play and what are you playing.

When I dig an idea playing games hightlight my own self observations and mind work. ( When you do observe )

In consciousness' work material is sometimes secondary to the accuracy of the interpret.

Ultimately vidéo games is stage Green/orange.

Most people didn't work on those aspects. 

Skyrim is high consciousness. But like everything that is abused.. It's all about situation 

@Aeris Yeah you got a point. I just know for my self that I  have other plans than video games so for me I have to schedule when I play video games so it doesn't interfere with my other plans. 

42 minutes ago, BjarkeT said:

@Aeris Yeah you got a point. I just know for my self that I  have other plans than video games so for me I have to schedule when I play video games so it doesn't interfere with my other plans. 

I almost do not play anything anymore unless great level design or something New in the simulation at hand. But I played prob a lot rpg player ( the communicative and goal dimensions are an important side for simulation of 'working in team' for instance )

vidéo games could be a self growth tools in the right hands as powerful as taking a psychedelics.

People who demonize games are dogmatics thinkers

@Aeris Same here I almost never play video game unless the game is very interesting. 

Like most things in life, quitting computer games has to firstly be an emotional decision, not a logical one. 

I might even write a new post on this as it's a big topic, if there is interest. 

@theking00 To answer your question, there has to be something of higher value to you than computer games. 

Good and bad are based on personal value systems. So ultimately it's up to you if video games are good or bad. What do you value?

Video games can increase your creativity. It also improve your spatial and reaction times.

You may also learn more from moving pictures compared to doing nothing. Of course, doing nothing also have its benefits. Do whatever you want.

There's nothing wrong with exploring and enjoying creation. However if your goal is to go meta on creation then you must do it mindfully. Otherwise you'll be back to square one losing yourself in creation. 

Games were a huge part of my life from 10-22 years old. I am so thankful I got into gaming. It helped me:
- Get smarter and think more clearly; have focus

- Get better with competitive environments, having emotional intelligence to win

- That's how I learned 99% of my english (I'm from Brazil)

- Get more social as I met a lot of people and always played online games with a lot of communication going on

- Exercising practice. I would play a game not just to play it, but to try and become better. That meant I had to practice the details alone for hours and hours and then go online and see the results of practice

- Many more

However, gaming cannot be a part of my life right now. It takes so much time for no results produced. Now I'm 25, and I just stopped it. Once a week I can play a CS:GO match while high just for fun, but I've dropped the habit (and addiction).

It is up for you to judge. Nothing wrong playing some games to recover, heal and recharge energies on resting moments. But if that is taking away your productive time of meditation, learning, reading, working, I think it is bad. But it's your reality bro, listen to your heart :)

Also, when you play, do it mindfully! Try some new tactics, practice a certain technique, get better at it. Don't do mindless gaming just to kill time

I guess gaming is great for 10-18 years old; but not 22+

I used to play.

Now I cant get invested in them anymore.

See if you really love playing games or if its just a habit because you have no other meaning in life.

3 minutes ago, universe said:

I used to play.

Now I cant get invested in them anymore.

See if you really love playing games or if its just a habit because you have no other meaning in life.

I used to play some video games out of fear of missing out or because I didn't want to accept they no longer interest me. 

After being honest about the games I do enjoy. My library of 250+ slimmed down to like 10.

Definitely a good idea to check whether you actually like a game. 

@theking00 I love video games too. Too much. That's when I realized I had to stop for my own personal growth, and that's a radical step to take that can't be done overnight. Try to focus on consciously playing video games in moderation, maybe as a reward after doing consciousness work. You'll find that you can enjoy games that much more after you do meditation, self-inquiry, etc. :D

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

As long as it is mindful and you don't do it to fill some other gap, it is amazing .

Personal development folk tend to transcend and repress games and entertainment, leaving them in the "nono, clutter, noise, distraction garbage bag". They want to do fitness, meditation, date girls, learn, deal with trauma ofc, so no time for that, its noise.

I did it too you know.  But now when I do play games, I can't help but look at them with jaw opening awe.... how could someone build something so great, so majestic ... with shivers and wet eyes. How could such collaboration happen, how could so many minds merge and create those majestic worlds... and there is so much that can be shown trough them, one can learn so much... they open worlds of possibilities, ways of thinking. The artist maps possibilities of the future, and games are art....

Unless its Counter Strike or PUBG xD You know, like there is Rhiana and Mozard in music, or Nicholas Sparks and Carl Jung in books, the same is true for games.

I'd say that Fallout:New Vegas, Skyrim, Torment... trough the choices I made, gave me quite hard lessons about myself and my shadow. And I could say similar things about many other games.

Edited by Yog

If you have your priorities in order and you've got a solid daily routine (meditation, fitness, yoga, etc), then there's nothing wrong with playing a game here and there. Of course, in moderation.

Funny thing is, you can actually practise mindfulness in competetive online games. I play Overwatch and I used to get frustrated and angry when I didn't perform well or when I had incompetent random teammates. It was bad because I was playing unconsciously and I was reactive. Nowadays I play a little bit differently. If I have a bad session or my teammates start being toxic, I don't get angry and I mindfully observe the situation with some internal dialog (e.g. "Okay, this guy starts losing it but this not my problem, I should concentrate and enjoy the match"). It's much better this way :D

I was addicted to games up until university. I regret it, completely wasted by childhood and teenage years with nothing to show for it. 

You don't have to stop playing video games unless:

• You're hurting yourself or society, whether directly or indirectly.
  • You're attached to them.
  • You're addicted to winning.

Otherwise, they're fine in moderation.

45 minutes ago, Spiral said:

I was addicted to games up until university. I regret it, completely wasted by childhood and teenage years with nothing to show for it. 

Did too except not a single regret beside my lower back who prob take a lot from being sitted on a chair. ( Computer gaming ).

I tryed to create my own games with rpg maker / frog creator' very early. So I've always been watching game like trying to understand their rules/physics : their Matrix.

Thinking of the teamwork to put those games out.

Seeing' the différence between games produced by industry like McDonald games ( call of duty ) and games created out of true love ( dev loved dev their games ) to a certain point ( 2004 - 2009 ) then industry took over everything and corrupted everything.

I don't play games made out of greed.

Guild Wars 2 was the beginning of the end. The one was just starting Friends who get financial help.

Some game that were relevant to my exclusive expérience :

Assassin's creed 2

Skyrim

Guild Wars

I would say It's good to know about the game design of 'world of Warcraft' this one is huge ( even if the system is very orange )

Same for League of Legends. 

Being a Real gamer is a smart move.

Passive gaming for killing Time : wrong way.

Put all life when you play or don't.

At this age only games : this was my life. More important than schools or irl.

This give me a huge perspective on 'mental'

I think vr and mind responding technology could be powerful to rise consciousness. 

Edited by Aeris