Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Socrates

Should the ego be demonized?

35 posts in this topic

Had a small microdose today, 1/4 of an LSD tab and remembered some of my old trips insights.

Being pretty new to psychedelics (5 solid trips) I've caught myself having the belief that the "ego" is a bad thing and it must be killed etc and it fucks up my trips because it fuels them with fear. 

If you wanted to realize Santa doesn't exist you wouldn't go to a crusade to kill Santa. You would just realize it is a fairytale.

The same thing goes with the ego. I've had a challenging trip by going at it with the belief that the ego is bad and must be exterminated. This creates a state of fear and insecurity during and after the trip instead of leaving me empowered. All that for 5 mins of ego death and 6 months of Ego Backlash after.

Instead of making this process like a Ritual sacrifice can we change the frame so at least I can return from the trip better rather than worse?

It feels like I build a bridge in the morning and knock it down in the evening.

Can this spiritual process even be done simultaneously with achieving material abundance (money, sex, friends, etc)? @Leo Gura

What is the thing doing the demonizing? The ego! Letting go and transcending the ego involves letting go of demonization itself. To demonize it  and try to suppress it will only reinforce its ability to control your life. By practicing understanding and awareness can you intercept the motives of the ego and let such motives dissolve.

32 minutes ago, Socrates said:

Can this spiritual process even be done simultaneously with achieving material abundance (money, sex, friends, etc)?

Yes. The key is to be conscious about it though. Its not about what you do per se (although a highly conscious person likely wouldn't do some things in a lot of situations) but it is your intent behind it that shows your spiritual growth.

Edited by Shadowraix

Ego calling ego bad? LOL!

- Enter your fear and you are free -

Trying to demolish God's design, intelligence and creation. Not going to work. 

@Socrates Let the habit of self referential thought go. Be aware every time you reconstruct a separate self, be it you or another. Understand how you create it in mind, watch that creating happening, and it’s inherently, joyfully, transcended. It is not a thing to embrace, but rather an apparent action to become aware of. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm Easy when you are alone. But what when you are at work and "others" point fingers at "You"  asking you questions about "yourself". 

You can break that habit but you Will get pulled to re create your self over and over again. Everytime New self as Just reaction to stimuli. 

@Socrates Material Reality is no separate from Metaphysical Reality and having said that being involved in material reality is a bad thing is also a part of the playing the game of duality and being mis-leaded again!!

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

@Nahm No I don't. I barely talk or start talking with anyone. Have zero desire to be a person. I Just do what I have to do for survival. That's my job. 

It's not my mind that creates "me" it is Reality forcing me to be a "person". 

@zeroISinfinity Sounds like you don’t like your “job” very much being human...

Edited by DrewNows

No ego is good, ego helps us get our goals, strive to get them at any costs. Who does it matter if people get hurt ? ME? certainly not. Let the people burn while i sit on a beach sipping a margarita. Those of you who give up your ego are not materialistic enough! PSSST what are you going to tell your girlfriend when her dad asks you, what you've been doing all week? MEDITATING!! NO! you'll be saying i went shopping and bought some clothes at macy's, did you know the shopping centre has a new place which sells donuts!! TO WHICH he will respond "ohh that's great" You think he's going to tolerate you talking about how life works ? especially when he's older than you? NAY LOL...  BEST STICK WITH EGO and the need for our capitalistic behaviour to buy us clothes. 

@Socrates

I prefer using the word imagination instead of ego in this context.

Should imagination be demonized? What is demonization but another part of imagination? You see the problem here?

Many people have solved it by letting go and letting everything just be.

Edited by Truth Addict

3 hours ago, DrewNows said:

@zeroISinfinity Sounds like you don’t like your “job” very much being human...

It is not that I do not like it. 

Meeting basic survival needs of the body and constant Surrender to what is. Free fall. 

Desireless choiceless Awareness. 

Peace and Joy. 

Not interested in simulator. 

Edited by zeroISinfinity

19 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

@zeroISinfinity but dude, YOU are the simulator...

No question about it. Meant not using/being devil anymore. I know I can't escape Game. 

So lets be wise about it. Peacefull zen monk. 

2 minutes ago, zeroISinfinity said:

No question about it. Meant not using/being devil anymore. I know I can't escape Game. 

So lets be wise about it. Peacefull zen monk. 

The devil only exists in the attachment/identification...this is why there's no way anyone can ever know who's enlightened and who isn't....

You wish to be wise? be spontaneous, be free, free in thinking and action...be the master of your game of chess :ph34r:

What's the ego? It's just functioning right?

It's therefor not a separate thing, can't have separate functioning, I guess the point of this shabam is realize that you are beyond functioning fundamentally.

But we also like to function right? If you don't then that sucks and you should give it up in meditation, change your life.

But you can say, that functioning with a negative mind, entangled in the paths in separation, turned to hate, rejection, fear, that's often synonymous with 'ego', the one that is in the human comparing and striving game, which can probably be fine up to a certain extent, if it has positive or natural movement, whilst not forgetting oneness, friendliness, love.

So it comes down to, can you love with your ego, and love what you do, or not. 

But as for total transcendance, idk, not an expert. 

The Ego swimming in a healthy mind is good.  The Ego swimming in a toxic mind is bad.  So, the issue is not Ego being good or bad, it's about purifying your mind.  It's the pond not the fish that's the problem.

Edited by Joseph Maynor