Gabriel Antonio

The Myth of "We Create Our Reality" (Updated!)

48 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I had created this topic yesterday, but due to a technical problem, it was in Portuguese. So here it is:

I was having a little discussion in the following thread: 

I do not want to spam @Iiris great personal journal. I also thought it would be interesting to open the discussion with the rest of you all.

So here's what a user wrote: 

"Changes come after accepting we are the creator of our anxiety and therefore, have the power to change how we perceive and react to given circumstances. Acceptance does not mean we take the blame, only means we no longer feel it's useful to point the finger outwardly and instead reflect inwardly. The outer world will always mirror the inner...this is what is meant by "we create our own reality"'

So, here are my thoughts for each of his points: 

23 hours ago, DrewNows said:

changes come after accepting we are the creator of our anxiety and therefore, have the power to change how we perceive and react to given circumstances. 

First, according to science, generalized anxiety and clinical depression are not caused by "us", but by our brain chemistry. 

But let's talk about "regular" anxiety. Let's say that the most spiritually enlightened person who ever walked the earth was given the task of raising ten children by themselves. Wouldn't he feel stressed or anxious? If not, let's make him sleep for only 1 hour a day. Still not anxious? Let's make him weightlift 3 hours a day. 

Of course, our reaction to anxiety can indeed amplify its power. But to say that "we create anxiety" is a big leap. I would love if @DrewNows would present some evidence that this is the case. After all, as Carl Sagan said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." 

Acceptance does not mean we take the blame, only means we no longer feel it's useful to point the finger outwardly and instead reflect inwardly.

I agree that we ourselves must act to change what we do not like in our lives. 

The outer world will always mirror the inner...this is what is meant by "we create our own reality" 

So will the outside world always reflect the inner one? Give me a break... So children who are molested "co-created" that reality? 

Can you give some evidence that your first statement? Or is it an axiom? Or better yet, only developed spiritual people can understand it? In logic, what you did there has a name: non sequitur.

Great reading on this topic:  https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/intimacy-path-toward-spirituality/201412/do-we-create-our-own-reality

Edited by Gabriel Antonio

Here are what other users had written in the previous version of this topic: 

@Truth Addict

Under the same circumstances:

1) An ordinary person will get disturbed at first, and then the chain will go on.

Disturbance ==> Worrying ==> Distress ==> Anxiety ==> Depression ==> Disturbance ==> Repeat ?

2) An enlightened master, however, will get disturbed at first, but they are aware and are masters of their emotions and they know how the reactions will play out, so they stop the chain at disturbance, and might even be able to get back to peace

@purerogue 

I will try to explain it to you, giving  proo f would be much of a   time consuming  effort that would take months, or years with right techniques prepared and  enough people to make a point.

Just to explain it to you 

People do not understand much about how their psychology  (emotions, though, etc.) work,  that is why they are blindly following their patterns, that means their free will is very limited.

None is saying that brain chemistry is not a thing, but there are allot of things that produces this brain chemistry and there are things you can do to change it on your own, without using drugs. 

@Shadowraix

Be careful about the brain chemistry vs mind duality. Your mind is your brain chemistry and everytime your mind changes, it is reflected by brain chemistry. We have an amazing ability to reprogram ourselves. 

By becoming aware of your behaviors and mechanisms you gain access to methods of being able to manipulate yourself into getting desired behavioral patterns. These methods are even used for therapy. Look into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. 

Thanks! 

@Gabriel Antonio hello my friend. 

Okay so to clarify: We are NOT responsible for the thoughts and emotions we experience. But we can take responsibility in understanding why we have them and figure out the underlying causes (beliefs and assumptions) and see the consequences in those patterns of thoughts and emotions. This can be referred to as exploring thought-self in relation to nature of thought, shadow work, emotional maturity and even epistemology. 

I would recommend watching Teal Swan to gain a new perspective on the mind  

Self evidence is what I use but there are many holistic psychologists and psychoanalytic practices who would agree.

Imporant note: I think it is important not to take all evidence you read as fact to believe/assume to be true but see if it is true in direct experience

30 minutes ago, Gabriel Antonio said:

So will the outside world always reflect the inner one? Give me a break... So children who are molested "co-created" that reality? 

This is where it gets tricky because there are different perspectives. From the absolute persp, yes without a child there could be no molesting, so that’s what is.

From your perspective there is no outside world without an inside one. No experience without the experiencer, no perceiver without the perceived. No thought without the thinker etc 

I create reality.

That is a deeply nuanced statement. I’ve spent years contemplating this area and integrating direct experience. And I’ve barely scratched the surface. 

I’ve found that having underlying assumptions of each of those words will lead to surface level, ambiguous answers within conceptualizations and thought stories. The mind will go round and round in circles like a dog chasing it’s own tail. 

Who/what is “I”?

What is “creation”?

What is “reality”?

These are great self inquiry questions that can lead to direct experience. Thinking, analyzing and trying to figure it out may help set the table, yet it’s not gonna put meat in the table. This is a realm of deep inquiry, concentration and observation. Also, psychedelics can help dissolve the mind’s assumptions and habitual thought patterns. 

@cetus56 I like it. ?? 

Leo did a blog entry a while back of a world that existed only of stories. To let go of the story was to let go of one’s existence. . . At least that’s how I remember it.

...infinite one story... Feels reaaaally..good.

@tedens I'm missing you there.... Written? Like in Akashic records or something?

@cetus56  if the illustrations are made of atoms which don't exist so they should be overwritten somehow?

Edited by tedens

6 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

@tedens Atoms are made of stories too.

@tedens Even me saying this is a story.

2 minutes ago, tedens said:

@cetus56 thats why can I see Your photo.

All part of the story of existance.

We create our reality is not a myth. It's what happens.

^_^

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16