Sempiternity

Mooji just exposed as a abusuve cult leader?

197 posts in this topic

This article (from 2 days ago) was very heartbreaking and disappointing for me to read. Mooji is one of the most popular living enlightenment teachers in the world. There is only a small handful, and out of that small handful he seemed like one of the most universally beloved. He seemed like the living embodiment of what is possible when one become fully enlightened. Or so I thought. 

So if this is true, the whole enlightenment movement just took a major hit.

https://gurumag.com/becoming-god-inside-moojis-portugal-cult/?fbclid=IwAR2wM1q4uhgIdJHQjtoKti55tIph_hmTT6NionKBOH7QaJ8HUt2TMwX39Sc

Edited by Jed Vassallo

I think we’re finally seeing that the idea of a guru is fundamentally flawed. That role of guru doesn’t fit actual enlightenment and putting oneself in that position leads to corruption through ego. Enlightenment should never be about personalities or following someone else’s lead. It’s not something that can be taught, so why consider yourself a teacher if not because of ego?

Unfortunately, holding oneself out as a teacher is one way to chain yourself to Ego permanently because you have to be superior to everyone else otherwise it kinda doesn't make sense.  You have to be really, really grounded and humble to not let teaching go to your head.  I think good teachers will tell you they're just a student like you. 

Mooji is one of the best teachers in my opinion though.  I don't know about all this cult stuff.  I can't exactly challenge the credibility of the article.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

11 minutes ago, Jed Vassallo said:

This article (from 2 days ago) was very heartbreaking and disappointing for me to read. Mooji is one of the most popular living enlightenment teachers in the world. There is only a small handful, and out of that small handful he was most universally beloved. He was the living embodiment of what is possible when one become fully enlightened. Or so I thought. 

So if this is true, the whole enlightenment movement just took a major hit.

https://gurumag.com/becoming-god-inside-moojis-portugal-cult/?fbclid=IwAR2wM1q4uhgIdJHQjtoKti55tIph_hmTT6NionKBOH7QaJ8HUt2TMwX39Sc

This has been making the rounds -- it is a very poorly-written article with no corroborating evidence, just a collection of every nasty rumor about Mooji, mostly from anonymous sources. Basic tenets of responsible journalism are not practiced. For example, there is no mention of asking Mooji's organization to comment on these allegations.

In short, it's an extremely untrustworthy piece.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

Interesting. Thanks for the alternative perspective. 

Edited by Jed Vassallo

I have nothing against Mooji and I don't know about the article, but the videos are pretty cultish. The guy sitting up there and his followers kissing his feet and crying. Can you see this kind of behaviour in other spirituality-related videos? Like in Rupert Spira's? I mean, come on...

Edited by nistake

Nobody is a forcing you kiss his feet. Some people have so much gratittude for him, they say Thank you Mooji, what you gave me is priceless, Thank you from the bottom of my heart and then he bow downs out of this gratittude.... It's nothing cultish at all. It's gratittude, and it's very beautiful. All the arrogant idiots think it's abnormal to have gratittude for your master....

Btw I've been in his Ashram in Portugal that article is a fucin joke... 

Edited by Salvijus

No. Anyone can write up a story so nothing is exposed. Like winterknight wrote, it is poorly written and it uses non-confirmed stories taken from forums. It tries to shock people that people call him "master" not even acknowledging that this has been common in guru/disciple relationships for thousands of years.

I am not saying anything about what goes down there in Portugal, but I do know that if you want to taint someone's reputation you go for sexual accusations. Easy damage. Happened to Yogananda and Osho aswell. Nothing new. 

Look at OP's reaction. No evidence and you already have another view of Mooji imprinted in you. That's how powerful it is. 

It only takes one hurt soul. Someone with borderline could easily have fallen deeply in love with Mooji, gotten rejected and now he is the worst person on earth. So you throw accusations out there because it is so simple to do. You can remain anonymous, people will react and damage will be done. So throwing out a possible scenario.

@winterknight he addresed it in one of his videos that he didnt harm anybody ever

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

2 minutes ago, NoSelfSelf said:

@winterknight he addresed it in one of his videos that he didnt harm anybody ever

He himself refuted this? You have a link to the video?

So one article from one source is enough to make you think something is true ?

I have bad news for you ...

???

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

19 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

Nobody is a forcing you kiss his feet. Some people have so much gratittude for him, they say Thank you Mooji, what you gave me is priceless, Thank you from the bottom of my heart and then he bow downs out of this gratittude.... It's nothing cultish at all. It's gratittude, and it's very beautiful. All the arrogant idiots think it's abnormal to have gratittude for your master....

If I were at his place, I will bow down everytime someone bow down to me.

So yes you can.

God is love

And God in them

@Jed Vassallo its on his facebook page im on mobile and dont use it here cuz of memory

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

44 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

There's a fine line between showing gratitude to your master/guru/whatever and bowing and kissing him. I'm just saying it may not be a good idea to follow a guru blindly.

There is no line. Bowing down to your masters feet is the sweetest feeling and the greatest joy for a devotee. 

It's simply impossible for you to understand now untill you remove that self-importence and "everyone should be equal" mentality.

"Passion for others, dispassion for yourself, the highest quality" #sadhguru

Edited by Salvijus

47 minutes ago, Shin said:

So one article from one source is enough to make you think something is true ?

I have bad news for you ...

???

Man you guys like to start shit. I started a dialog to assess it's validity. It was written only two days ago. It takes research to confirm, which is what I'm doing. 

Edited by Jed Vassallo

@Jed Vassallo Can't really say if there's any credibility to this report. It just bluntly lists some serious allegations. No info as to where those are taken from.

Anywho, problematic gurus are not a new thing. The problem with a guru is, they get elevated to a god-like status by their students and followers, which allows them to have vast power over other people. My first idea is I am all about teachers discouraging and trying to avoid the creation of such dynamic, which is vastly unhealthy. I can't say whether they don't do this because it's too much effort, or whether they don't do it because they desire the power of gurudom. I guess it depends on the case. It takes a purified mind to not abuse the power a guru has. Many so-called gurus have lots of issues still to deal with. The ability to control, have sex etc can become very strong temptations.

Be the facts as they may, Mooji is nowhere near a living embodiment of full enlightenment, which is apparent in his lack of understanding of pain and human suffering. Many non-dual teachers tend to get stuck in their own bubble that is removed from the real world. Bullshitting yourself and avoiding growth is in a sense easier to do in a non-dual state.

10 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

Passion for others, dispassion for yourself, the highest quality

Yet there is no line between the other and self.

8 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

There is no line. Bowing down to your masters feet is the sweetest feeling and the greatest joy for a devotee. 

It's simply impossible for you to understand now untill you remove that self-importence and "everyone should be equal" mentality.

"Passion for others, dispassion for yourself, the highest quality" #sadhguru

That's also how you think he's a saint and above you.

How you think he's a special snowflake and you're not.

You bow down to no one or everyone if you're genuine.

God is love

And God in them