Uchira

Why does human being get high?

18 posts in this topic

I was just wondering why people get high on weed, dmt, alcohol, cigar, and every other drugs.

Many reasons. Some do it to mask a pain, others because of peer pressure, and most of people do it recreationally. A few people though do it to enlighten or get spiritual insights.

Perhaps that's not the right question to ask. Why are you *not* using these substances?

Breathing in, I calm my body.

Breathing out, I smile.

Getting high is too broad of a term, there is huge difference between shooting some heroin and tripping on Salvia, theres not even any common ground.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I was recently thinking about the same. Not just thinking about solely only for spiritual aspect but, then it got me: That the feeling of just identifying with the silence of awareness is very much almost same as when you get high, because you get numb, you don't feel anything, you temporary disable YOURSELF, aka what's left then? It's very much almost the same awareness.

People do these things to get closer to Source. You could say that they do them with the thought that it'll make them happier, but that's saying that they think it'll take them closer to Source. It's really why we do ANYthing.

I first started doing drugs because I just didn't care about anything, so why not? there was never any reason for me to not do drugs as a child

plus at that time I could not imagine doing something like going out to a movie, things like that seemed like such an incredibly boring waste of time

why would anyone go sit in a boring movie theater when you could drop acid and watch the entire sky turn into a strobe light and then melt? 

I don't do drugs anymore and I now enjoy just simply watching a movie...but I am certainly still not satisfied with only that!

5 hours ago, isabel said:

but I am certainly still not satisfied with only that!

What does satisfy you then?

@Uchira Whats your question. Why people can get high or why people get/want to be high?

One of the reasons that clicked with me is relating to Leo's "10 things you want you don't know you want" video in which one of them he stated you want the world to feel new and magical again like when you are a child.

As you grow older your state of consciousness can start feeling dull and boring and drugs being able to spice things up, providing something different, can be a huge attraction for people to try them. And you can also see how this can become escapeism to avoid a lot of things regarding the usual state. From avoiding emotions, just wanting to feel different, etc and thats where you can build the unhealthy relationships. But it does look like such changes when done with careful consideration, can be great tools to improve your usual state of consciousness rather than trying to get rid of it altogether.

16 hours ago, universe said:

What does satisfy you then?

@Uchira Whats your question. Why people can get high or why people get/want to be high?

nothing. that's why I did a whole bunch of drugs and other things, I was for looking satisfaction

I know what satisfaction is now, it's the absolute infinity, but I'm not satisfied because I've only glimpsed it, I'm at the beginning, I don't even know really what any of this is

They're not happy with themselves. People need some sort of gross external fix (drugs, friends, sex, alcohol, books, TV, internet, whatever). It's subtle but profound

Because it feels good. It generates positive emotions. Thats really all there is to it. Thats why people dont get addicted to psychedelics because a positive experience isnt guaranteed unlike heroin.

On 12.11.2018 at 1:45 PM, Uchira said:

I was just wondering why people get high on weed, dmt, alcohol, cigar, and every other drugs.

Because that high usually resembles a little the awakening state and people can get hooked.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.