winterknight

I am enlightened. Sincere seekers: ask me anything

4,433 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Jkris said:

@winterknight It will be helpful if you can share your insights about purification of mind aka vasana kshaya.How to do that ? Example addiction impatience anger etc

Yes, my views on that are three-fold.

First, you need a good intellectual framework to resolve your doubts. You can get that through satsang and reading scripture and good books.

Second, you need to be honest about what you want, which is usually a process. I often recommend psychoanalysis (or psychoanalytic psychotherapy) and a cycle of trying things, expressing your feelings about them, adjusting your notions of what you desire, and trying other things. That is a way of iteratively becoming more honest about your desires.

Though the ultimate purification is from self-inquiry and surrender. These earlier steps simply prepare your mind for that. The mind just needs to be pure enough, not perfectly pure.

Edited by winterknight

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

2 minutes ago, Arhattobe said:

@winterknight The ego also has escapist tendencies and thinks it knows everything. 

You’ve gone beyond ego identification. It’s still there affecting every word and thought though. 

Who says the ego is still there?

That's the ego talking. I mean, it might be appropriate for certain contexts, but it's not true in the final analysis.

The ego is like two mirrors facing each other -- they create an endless series of reflections. Those are like the vasanas. Eliminating the vasanas bit by bit is like trying to count the reflections.

Self-inquiry is like tilting one of the mirrors away and -- suddenly they're all gone. They were only ever a trick of the light.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

@winterknight By ego I mean personality structure. One that suffers from latent tendencies. 

Again, examples outside of myself. Alan Watts being an alcoholic. Maharaj being angry and smoking. Numerous teachers sexually harassing and assaulting people. So on.

That is still there. Some call the process I’m referring to embodiment in modern circles.

10 minutes ago, Arhattobe said:

@winterknight By ego I mean personality structure. One that suffers from latent tendencies. 

Again, examples outside of myself. Alan Watts being an alcoholic. Maharaj being angry and smoking. Numerous teachers sexually harassing and assaulting people. So on.

That is still there. Some call the process I’m referring to embodiment in modern circles.

Right, and I'm suggesting that these ideas come from an egoic way of thinking, an egoic mode of discourse. We can talk about it, nothing wrong with it per se. But there is a danger of believing it too much.

Personality structures affect people -- but self-inquiry shows that there are no people. Latent tendencies are a concept, but all concepts are based on the "I" concept, and, that being seen to be false, none of the rest can be coherent. All language is in fact ultimately false.

Obviously even those words are just pointing to something beyond experience.

So we can talk this way about the failings of various people, etc. -- but we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously. It isn't the real truth. And importantly, it's a barrier to seekers, because it suggests an endless quest when the truth is simpler than that and is perfect right now.

Edited by winterknight

@winterknight I understand what your saying quite well. I used to say what your saying. Taught it even.

You aren’t getting what I’m saying though. Just keep falling back on your non dual pointers. 

You lack the self awareness and honesty to see the truth in what I’m saying.

Every major tradition talks about different stages of enlightenment you know. 

Edited by Arhattobe

21 minutes ago, Arhattobe said:

@winterknight I understand what your saying quite well. I used to say what your saying. Taught it even.

Right, you parroted it without an actual realization -- only a superficial intellectual understanding -- then when your ego still seemed to suffer, you blamed the teaching rather than inadequate understanding and fell back on this thing called 'vasanas' to blame it on, and this quest called 'embodiment' to keep the ego going.

And when I point it out now there is an aggressive need to lash out at me as lacking this or that, because if what I were saying was true, it would again hurt the ego.

@winterknight Triggered much. Mr.Noego?

I’m stating my view. Your stating yours.  Let’s move on.

Edited by Arhattobe

3 hours ago, winterknight said:

Right, you parroted it without an actual realization -- only a superficial intellectual understanding -- then when your ego still seemed to suffer, you blamed the teaching rather than inadequate understanding and fell back on this thing called 'vasanas' to blame it on, and this quest called 'embodiment' to keep the ego going.

And when I point it out now there is an aggressive need to lash out at me as lacking this or that, because if what I were saying was true, it would again hurt the ego.

direct-hit-game-over.jpg

xD xD xD xD xD 

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

58 minutes ago, Winter said:

@winterknight Is time a thing? Is there anything to consider beyond "what is now"?

All time ideas and time words, including the word 'now,' are illusory concepts and do not fully express reality.

But if we believe in the now, then we must believe in the future and past too. If we abandon the future and past, we also have to abandon the now.

During meditation, your suggestion about the surrendering seems to be extremely effective. In fact, over the last month Ive made quite staggering progress with seeing the ego for what it really is, which is a thought I normally identify with, but that in fact is not the true self. Furthermore, Ive gained various insights related to the nature of the body, breath, direct experience, the mind... basically consciousness work is going very well.

However there is one strange phenomena I don't understand. When going out to my job, it seems like the ego becomes overly inflated and I go about my day in total ignorance. I start reidentifying with the body, mind and ego, and it feels like the insights Ive gained during my contemplations and meditations are simply gone. 

Why would this be the case? Why can this work be integrating so well outside of work, outside of social situations, but during the work day, mindfulness and consciousness just slip away? Does this represent a lack of genuine progress? 

16 hours ago, winterknight said:

But if we believe in the now, then we must believe in the future and past too. If we abandon the future and past, we also have to abandon the now.

I like abandoning the past and believing in the future, what are you gonna do about it? :P

2 hours ago, Consilience said:

During meditation, your suggestion about the surrendering seems to be extremely effective. In fact, over the last month Ive made quite staggering progress with seeing the ego for what it really is, which is a thought I normally identify with, but that in fact is not the true self. Furthermore, Ive gained various insights related to the nature of the body, breath, direct experience, the mind... basically consciousness work is going very well.

However there is one strange phenomena I don't understand. When going out to my job, it seems like the ego becomes overly inflated and I go about my day in total ignorance. I start reidentifying with the body, mind and ego, and it feels like the insights Ive gained during my contemplations and meditations are simply gone. 

Why would this be the case? Why can this work be integrating so well outside of work, outside of social situations, but during the work day, mindfulness and consciousness just slip away? Does this represent a lack of genuine progress? 

If I may answer.. 

No, you're fine. Just keep on noticing that strange phenomena, observe it and it will fix itself by itself.

The reason that is the case is because you need time to adjust until the old awareness gets replaced with the new one.

Edited by Truth Addict

4 hours ago, Consilience said:

This is very normal. You have to start taking the mode of surrender which works by yourself and consciously attempt to surrender -- consciously give up your resistance to what's happening, give up your desire to change the situation or your thoughts or feelings -- in situations where there are other people, where there are social demands.

This will take practice and time.

Is abiding as awareness the same as self inquiry? (asking what am I?)

Also could you talk about when, the moment of self realization happen, what was it like?

5 minutes ago, Hima Izumi said:

Is abiding as awareness the same as self inquiry? (asking what am I?)

Also could you talk about when, the moment of self realization happen, what was it like?

What precisely do you mean by abiding as awareness?

The moment of self-realization is a very misleading way to think about things, but I'll give you a tiny summary. The lights had been flickering on and off for a long time. There are little self-realizations and then one seems to forget them. And then one goes back. Over and over. At one point after intense struggle it just became clear that they weren't going to flicker off anymore. 

30 minutes ago, winterknight said:

This is very normal. You have to start taking the mode of surrender which works by yourself and consciously attempt to surrender -- consciously give up your resistance to what's happening, give up your desire to change the situation or your thoughts or feelings -- in situations where there are other people, where there are social demands.

This will take practice and time.

Thank you ❤️??

1 hour ago, Truth Addict said:

If I may answer.. 

No, you're fine. Just keep on noticing that strange phenomena, observe it and it will fix itself by itself.

The reason that is the case is because you need time to adjust until the old awareness gets replaced with the new one.

Thank you as well d00d ??

17 minutes ago, winterknight said:

What precisely do you mean by abiding as awareness?

The moment of self-realization is a very misleading way to think about things, but I'll give you a tiny summary. The lights had been flickering on and off for a long time. There are little self-realizations and then one seems to forget them. And then one goes back. Over and over. At one point after intense struggle it just became clear that they weren't going to flicker off anymore. 

With abiding as awareness I mean being aware of awareness. being aware of the "I AM".