winterknight

I am enlightened. Sincere seekers: ask me anything

3,321 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, EmptinessDncing said:

You say yourself that there is a dream and you claim enlightenment, so this is your reality.  I say if it is a dream, it is a dream.  You realise you have been dreaming, and you can call that enlightenment or potato cake, who cares.  But you can't stop dreaming, all you can do is be aware that you are.  It's like being aware that you are lucid dreaming.  You just know you're dreaming.  And like lucid dreaming it takes practice to not forget you're dreaming.

It's not like lucid dreaming, though. It is the understanding not that you are lucid dreaming, but that there is no such thing as the dream.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Does sex feel better before or after enlightenment? Also how often do you cry? If you stub your toe, does it hurt? Does that pain = suffering? If so, do you suffer?

My question is how do you know you are enlightened?

How do you know what enlightened even is?

In all your posts you have this vibe of nondual nondoership ie there "is no you" so how can you make the statement "I am enlightened" when living from the view that "I" does not exist?

4 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Does sex feel better before or after enlightenment? Also how often do you cry? If you stub your toe, does it hurt? Does that pain = suffering? If so, do you suffer?

I don't really answer questions about "my" experience because the answers are always misleading.

1 hour ago, thesmileyone said:

My question is how do you know you are enlightened?

How do you know what enlightened even is?

In all your posts you have this vibe of nondual nondoership ie there "is no you" so how can you make the statement "I am enlightened" when living from the view that "I" does not exist?

It's a playful statement & a pointer to something which cannot be stated accurately in words one way or the other.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

@winterknight

Can you doubt everything else except for your enlightenment?

Or are you open to doubt about your enlightenment as well?

I am a deluded fool                                              I want women, gold, fame                                I fear death

I am                                                                         I want                                                                   I fear

I                                                                                I                                                                             I

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, Preetom said:

@winterknight

Can you doubt everything else except for your enlightenment?

Or are you open to doubt about your enlightenment as well?

Anything which can be stated in words -- which is therefore in thought -- is subject to doubt. Enlightenment is not actually a thing describable that way.

Edited by winterknight

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, winterknight said:

Anything which can be stated in words -- which is therefore in thought -- is subject to doubt. Enlightenment is not actually a thing describable that way.

How about a direct perception that is happening right now? Like a sensation in the chest.

I feel that even that is open to doubt because 'I' am aware of that sensation but that sensation is not aware of 'I'. 

So in other words, that sensation needs 'I' to verify it's existence. It cannot verify it's own existence. it doesn't have it's own existence-consciousness. Is this what is meant when it is said that the world doesn't exist even when you perceive it in the present moment?

Edited by Preetom

I am a deluded fool                                              I want women, gold, fame                                I fear death

I am                                                                         I want                                                                   I fear

I                                                                                I                                                                             I

@winterknight does anything that is not in your direct experience exist? Is direct experience continuous or discontinuous? By direct experience I mean 'conciously aware of' or 'reality'.

Don't eat soup with chopsticks. Pick up the bowl and drink.

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, Preetom said:

How about a direct perception that is happening right now? Like a sensation in the chest.

I feel that even that is open to doubt because 'I' am aware of that sensation but that sensation is not aware of 'I'. 

So in other words, that sensation needs 'I' to verify it's existence. It cannot verify it's own existence. it doesn't have it's own existence-consciousness. Is this what is meant when it is said that the world doesn't exist even when you perceive it in the present moment?

Not quite. It's that language is based on the idea of the I, which is incoherent. So all statements in language are ultimately false, too. It's as if every sentence started with "If 2+2 = zebra... " But that is not the case.

Anyway, there is of course no use trying to fully understand this with words :)

17 minutes ago, LastThursday said:

@winterknight does anything that is not in your direct experience exist? Is direct experience continuous or discontinuous? By direct experience I mean 'conciously aware of' or 'reality'.

I don't answer questions about my experience because the answers are misleading & unhelpful. If you have questions about your path, though, happy to answer.

Edited by winterknight

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, winterknight said:

Not quite. It's that language is based on the idea of the I, which is incoherent. So all statements in language are ultimately false, too. It's like if if every sentence started with "If 2+2 = zebra... " But that is not the case.

Anyway, there is of course no use trying to fully understand this with words :)

So what it is that knows the sensation in the chest?

Btw Ramana Maharshi treated all objective experience as 'thought'. In his vocab, the world is nothing but thoughts and it all hinges upon the root thought aka I-thought aka the ego. So the sensation in the chest, even though it is experienced right now, it is nothing but thought. How do you explain this view?

Edited by Preetom

8 minutes ago, winterknight said:

I don't answer questions about my experience because the answers are misleading & unhelpful. If you have questions about your path, though, happy to answer.

I  will ask question so people do not become infuriated as I did every time you said this. :D

Why is your direct experience misleading & unhelpful?

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Preetom said:

So what it is that knows the sensation in the chest?

Btw Ramana Maharshi treated all objective experience as 'thought'. In his vocab, the world is nothing but thoughts and it all hinges upon the root thought aka I-thought aka the ego. So the sensation in the chest, even thought it is experienced right now, is nothing but thought. How do you explain this view?

Actually, the very idea of a sensation in the chest is wrong. Still, it's a necessary idea for seekers.

"Seek that which knows the sensation of the chest." <-- that's an instruction for seekers

In truth both the knower of that sensation and the sensation itself are false ideas.

Ramana Maharshi -- and the Vedanta tradition generally -- teach different concepts depending on to whom they're speaking and the context.

5 minutes ago, purerogue said:

I  will ask question so people do not become infuriated as I did every time you said this. :D

Why is your direct experience misleading & unhelpful?

Because the very question hinges on incorrect assumptions -- that, for example, there is a "my" experience to talk about. But there is no "my" experience to talk about, nor is there NOT a "my" experience to talk about.

So I get reduced into silence if I try to answer these questions.

Edited by winterknight

@winterknight

I had an experience i would like your opinion on. I was walking around in my home and then i got the idea that my sight, sounds, feeling, thoughts... are actually inside my head and so it's like i the body which i see, feel... is inside my head so it's like i live in or my entire experiences and"objects" are within my head so i was like wowwww i am living inside my mind. Thought that it's a strange loop like consciousness inside consciousness or something.

I felt like i was on a higher consciousness and so it made sense but now in normal consciousness it feels stupid.

Is there a world outside my head/mind? If no why am i the body walking around in space?

28 minutes ago, Joker_Theory said:

@winterknight

I had an experience i would like your opinion on. I was walking around in my home and then i got the idea that my sight, sounds, feeling, thoughts... are actually inside my head and so it's like i the body which i see, feel... is inside my head so it's like i live in or my entire experiences and"objects" are within my head so i was like wowwww i am living inside my mind. Thought that it's a strange loop like consciousness inside consciousness or something.

I felt like i was on a higher consciousness and so it made sense but now in normal consciousness it feels stupid.

Is there a world outside my head/mind? If no why am i the body walking around in space?

You had a little glimpse of the truth very similar to the experiments Douglas Harding recommends in The Headless Way.

There is a world outside your little individual mind, but both that world and your little mind are in you in a deeper sense.

If you really want to understand, there's no substitute for following the path.

What do you think to the theory that we live in a simulation and that that we individually experience is only "projected" upon looking at it?

Like a computer game where the landscape is only rendered as you turn to look at it?

13 minutes ago, thesmileyone said:

What do you think to the theory that we live in a simulation and that that we individually experience is only "projected" upon looking at it?

Like a computer game where the landscape is only rendered as you turn to look at it?

It's like a modern rehash of age-old Hindu and Buddhist theories, but not nearly as good. Anyway, all metaphysical theories are wrong.

3 hours ago, winterknight said:

It's like a modern rehash of age-old Hindu and Buddhist theories, but not nearly as good. Anyway, all metaphysical theories are wrong.

Is Buddhism wrong?

Are the 10 fetters wrong?

Buddhism and the 10 fetters seem to extend far beyond nonduality and explaining that enlightenment = formlessness (ie that that is beyond the mind) nonduality is only a combination of the first 4 fetters.