winterknight

I am enlightened. Sincere seekers: ask me anything

4,433 posts in this topic

@winterknight

No hold on. There is no effort. I'm not saying "I surrender" this I is just a function of language. This "I-am" is an illusion. The feeling of existence, of being, is not attached to it. The being precedes "I am". To put it another way, if there is a feeling of effort in surrender, that is only because of identification with this "I". In truth there is no such thing as surrender. 

This 'grace' is not something otherworldly. It exists right now. It types these words. But if I say, here "I-am" writing out this sentence, that doesn't mean the grace is not there, it just means there is a layer of the mind on top of the truth. Is this not the case? 

@Preetom Oh yes, now this all starts to make sense. 

Edited by FoxFoxFox

10 minutes ago, FoxFoxFox said:

@winterknight

No hold on. There is no effort. I'm not saying "I surrender" this I is just a function of language. This "I-am" is an illusion. The feeling of existence, of being, is not attached to it. The being precedes "I am". To put it another way, if there is a feeling of effort in surrender, that is only because of identification with this "I". In truth there is no such thing as surrender. 

All true, but so long as you feel not at peace, you’re identified with the doer. Even to assert “there is no such thing as surrender,” to remind yourself of this fact, will take effort.

Or seem to.

The point is that effortlessness is true, but it must be directly experienced as an unequivocal fact, not just something you hypnotize yourself into thinking — and until that happens without a doubt, put in what seems like effort, while keeping in mind the truth that it is not really effort.

Edited by winterknight

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

Hey Winterknight..... I seem to really be in a good place, but I want to get your perspective because I am unclear if what I see is what you see. 

In Self-Inquiry I have been able to get past the intrusion of the small i and its expectations. I have been left with the realization that there is absolutely nothing to do.... I mean at all. Every act in the world, big or small, every idea and even every thought appears to be God's will. I appear to truly be nothing more than an observer and have seemingly handed over any idea of my individual will to God. My conclusion is that I should embrace and appreciate the positive, and simply accept and transcend the negative as a necessary part of the illusion... and life will simply play out as it does. It feels right, but it also seems too good to be true. Is really that easy? 16 years of pain and suffering on this spiritual journey, and it's that easy? I don't know, it feels right but it also feels too good to be true and somehow wrong... maybe it just seems too simple..... thoughts?

@winterknight Well effortlessness is directly observed at various levels depending on one's understanding. Everybody breathes effortlessly. Everybody sees, hearse, touches, tastes, smells effortlessly, the thoughts arise by themselves effortlessly, and in contact with the body create emotions - again effortlessly. At no point does anybody go and say "I need to taste better, better put more in effort in my taste buds!" 

And peace is always there - though i think stillness is a better word. It's the same stillness in deep sleep. i could erroneously say that it is 'my' nature that is peaceful. but why would i do that? Of course it's my nature, whose nature could it be? Actually, to emphasize so much on the "I" aspect is the cause for all this confusion.

And since the separations are all illusion, all this extends to the world, which turns out to not be an illusion at the deepest level. Maya is Nirvana, i feel. 

18 minutes ago, Bauer1977 said:

Hey Winterknight..... I seem to really be in a good place, but I want to get your perspective because I am unclear if what I see is what you see. 

In Self-Inquiry I have been able to get past the intrusion of the small i and its expectations. I have been left with the realization that there is absolutely nothing to do.... I mean at all. Every act in the world, big or small, every idea and even every thought appears to be God's will. I appear to truly be nothing more than an observer and have seemingly handed over any idea of my individual will to God. My conclusion is that I should embrace and appreciate the positive, and simply accept and transcend the negative as a necessary part of the illusion... and life will simply play out as it does. It feels right, but it also seems too good to be true. Is really that easy? 16 years of pain and suffering on this spiritual journey, and it's that easy? I don't know, it feels right but it also feels too good to be true and somehow wrong... maybe it just seems too simple..... thoughts?

It is that easy. 

7 minutes ago, FoxFoxFox said:

@winterknight Well effortlessness is directly observed at various levels depending on one's understanding. Everybody breathes effortlessly. Everybody sees, hearse, touches, tastes, smells effortlessly, the thoughts arise by themselves effortlessly, and in contact with the body create emotions - again effortlessly. At no point does anybody go and say "I need to taste better, better put more in effort in my taste buds!" 

And peace is always there - though i think stillness is a better word. It's the same stillness in deep sleep. i could erroneously say that it is 'my' nature that is peaceful. but why would i do that? Of course it's my nature, whose nature could it be? Actually, to emphasize so much on the "I" aspect is the cause for all this confusion.

And since the separations are all illusion, all this extends to the world, which turns out to not be an illusion at the deepest level. Maya is Nirvana, i feel. 

Like I said in the beginning, if there is peace, what does it matter?

If you sense the stillness, stay with the stillness. Why all this worry then about the body or mind suffering? Stay with the stillness -- then where is the suffering? It is only when your thought strays from the stillness that you have all these issues about "dark nights of the mind" and all that.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

18 minutes ago, winterknight said:

It is that easy. 

Well, that's amazing. BOOM!!! Is all that suffering to get here really necessary?

Edited by Bauer1977

15 minutes ago, Bauer1977 said:

Well, that's amazing. BOOM!!! Is all that suffering to get here really necessary?

Did the suffering affect anybody real, or just an illusion? And if it just affected it an illusion, did anyone actually suffer?

2 hours ago, Winter said:

@winterknight Do you have the belief that you need to eat to survive? Why do you eat? Why do you keep up with this narrative of being a biological human being that needs to eat and breathe while you are not? Same for breathing. Why do you breathe? Are you addicted to breathing?

Why do you answer questions? Why do you do any activity that is not trans-egoic? Aren't you assuming reality by doing those things?

That's a lot of questions but I believe the answer to all of them is pretty much the same.

Oh? And what is that answer?

1 hour ago, 9 said:

Are you vegetarian / vegan? Do you think it has anything to do with spiritual development / awakening process?

I am vegetarian. Some mild connection with the spiritual process may be there -- vegetarian food may be more peace-inducing for the mind. Hard for me to say since I've never really compared closely...

Edited by winterknight

34 minutes ago, winterknight said:

Did the suffering affect anybody real, or just an illusion? And if it just affected it an illusion, did anyone actually suffer?

I know what your getting at.... but even as an illusion, yeah, the pain and suffering affected my life/experience very deeply. Sure, I can acknowledge the fact of the illusion now, and say no, it wasn't really real.... but I was trapped by the illusion at the time, and it felt real at the time. very real. I can easily see now that it was necessary and it was all God's will. I just wonder if there is an easier way for people to come to understand their true nature.

Edited by Bauer1977

9 minutes ago, Bauer1977 said:

I know what your getting at.... but even as an illusion, yeah, the pain and suffering affected my life/experience very deeply. Sure, I can acknowledge the fact of the illusion now, and say no, it wasn't really real.... but I was trapped by the illusion at the time, and it felt real at the time. very real. I can easily see now that it was necessary and it was all God's will. I just wonder if there is an easier way for people to come to understand their true nature.

if you're bothered by this, it's because there is still a residual mental pattern identifying with the "illusion." Illusions are illusions -- i.e. they don't really exist. You still consider yourself to have been an individual and had a history. But if, as you've said before, I is God, how can that be the case?

"Even as an illusion" doesn't work... that is clinging.

If an actor has played his part in a movie where he seemed to get hurt, do we believe the actor suffered? Do we wish the actor would "wake up" out of his character faster?

Edited by winterknight

2 minutes ago, winterknight said:

If an actor has played his part in a movie where he seemed to get hurt, do we believe the actor suffered? Do we wish the actor would "wake up" out of his character faster?

so elegant <3 thanks 

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny

7 minutes ago, Winter said:

I'm here to get one from an enlightened person xD

Mine could only be based on speculations from the behavior of other people. I have a lot of work to do before reaching that place on a practical level.

What's your answer?

My answer is to see who the "I" is and then you will know the answer to those questions in the only way they can truly be answered. All the other answers are misleading. :)

8 minutes ago, winterknight said:

Illusions are illusions -- i.e. they don't really exist.

Illusions do exist, they are illusions and illusions are a misperception of what is, not a nonexistence of what is.

26 minutes ago, SOUL said:

Illusions do exist, they are illusions and illusions are a misperception of what is, not a nonexistence of what is.

This is just a limitation of words. The idea that there is an illusion at all is illusory. This cannot be understood with the intellect, however.

26 minutes ago, Winter said:

The I can be one, can be nothing, can be infinite or whatever. In all those cases though there's no such thing as an "I" or a physical body. Just nothing or something that believes it exist.

Why do you fall in the illusion of doing things to maintain that physical "fake" body? Why play that narrative?

Do you just not have the answer? That's fine too.

No, that's an intellectual answer. What I meant is that you need to follow the path and do self-inquiry and then you will understand the answer yourself.

If I speak the answer in words, you won't understand, but ok: it appears to you that I'm doing these things, but in fact it cannot be said that I am doing these things, and it cannot be said that these things are being done at all. It cannot be said that there is a narrative that someone is "playing,"  despite whatever appears to you.

8 minutes ago, winterknight said:

This is just a limitation of words. The idea that there is an illusion at all is illusory. This cannot be understood with the intellect, however.

I actually do understand it, you mistakenly understand illusion as to mean something 'doesn't exist' when it means 'a mistaken perception'. So ironically your perception of illusion is mistaken, it's not the words that are limited in this, it's your perception.

Edited by SOUL

7 minutes ago, SOUL said:

I actually do understand it, you mistakenly understand illusion as to mean something 'doesn't exist' when it means 'a mistaken perception'. So ironically your perception of illusion is mistaken, it's not the words that are limited in this, it's your perception.

Yes, I'm suggesting that your understanding of illusion is missing something. If you're interested in discussing this further to deepen your understanding, I'm willing.

But if you're just interested in telling me how right you are, then I'm happy not to continue this conversation.

6 minutes ago, SOUL said:

Don't teach an old man to cough.

I'm afraid he's right, you are giving reality to the concept of "illusion", while there is such phenomena as "thought", it's content is a dictionary circle jerk leading nowhere. There is a dream story, but it can't be said the jello monster in your dream exists, can it?

@winterknight Is what you are getting at with illusion in the same context of how, in the strictest sense, thinking/imagining any thing is a step too far?