winterknight

I am enlightened. Sincere seekers: ask me anything

4,433 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, SriBhagwanYogi said:

Do you think that is correct practice to go directly,knowingly stay as that pure I -awarness of person(thoughts,sensations etc) Or i have to do same contemplation even if i know where it will lead me .

If you can get to that place of waking clarity and peace, get there and stay there. And if you seem to leave it, get back. That is all you need to do. No need to do the inquiry over and over again unless that helps to get back to that place.

Edited by winterknight

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

Thank you doing same thing again and again is frustrating when you know what are you i will try to add inquiry when identification with something arises 

@winterknight (Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered:)

If there is only ever "the Self", why does there ever seem to be a "little, separate self" that then appears to have to wake up to its true nature, "the Self"?

I mean, why does the illusion of duality ever appear to begin with?

41 minutes ago, here-now said:

@winterknight (Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered:)

If there is only ever "the Self", why does there ever seem to be a "little, separate self" that then appears to have to wake up to its true nature, "the Self"?

I mean, why does the illusion of duality ever appear to begin with?

It cannot be said to ever appear. But that is impossible to understand until you find that out for yourself.

Edited by winterknight

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

8 hours ago, SriBhagwanYogi said:

As i told you there was some glimpses of self Realization few days ago and i am doing same questions , self inquiry trying to find that I , who is aware etc.

Then i saw a video where Rupert Spira talks about i think he said second step to self inquiry , Self abidance 

Do you think that is correct practice to go directly,knowingly stay as that pure I -awarness of person(thoughts,sensations etc) Or i have to do same contemplation even if i know where it will lead me .

Hope that makes sense 

3CD0FBD3-5492-46BD-A55D-CC4EE349719B.jpeg

This is exactly what Nisargadatta Maharaj did in order to get enlightened. His guru gave him a very simple and short instruction(paraphrased) like, ''Stop imagining yourself to be this or that; and focus on I AM which is your own being''. NIsargadatta simply took the instruction to heart and got enlightened in 3 years just following it. He never got into any detailed intellectual analysis or exotic forms of spiritual practices.

But there is one trap here that we should guard against though. 'The knowing that we are Presence itself and not the contents of experience'; we have to constantly abide in that knowing in our everyday experience, a sort of developing of wisdom-discernment aka taking our position as Awareness. NOT turn this realization into another non-dual dogma, where we go back living our auto-pilot lives and when the pain-suffering hits, we try to rationalize and desensitize our pain by repeating clever non-dual mantras like there is no doer, there is nothing to do etc.

So the bottomline is, it does take tremendous effort, honesty and purification of one's intent initially for building momentum if one can ever successfully pull this off. This is the spiritual effort that the best gurus always instructed to exert. 

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@winterknight  

I have had moments in self-inquiry where it feels like I am losing control. It feels like I am disappearing. It gets very intense and when I cannot find myself my heart starts beating fast and the self-inquiry is always ended due to panic and fear.  I know I write in self-contradicting ways but am I onto something?

I wonder because I had my first satori 3 years ago. It did not happened in self-inquiry or meditation. It was completely spontaneous.  The interesting thing Is that it was like a quantum leap into "I am" without any fear or panic. how could my ego die so easily at that moment, and why does it resist now?

thx :)

12 hours ago, winterknight said:

What precisely is expected to happen, and who is it that expects it?

The text that is written at numerous places.

@Preetom yeah effort is the key. There is a lot of Neo Advaita stuff that preaches you dont need practice we are already enlightened gods

2 hours ago, Moment said:

@winterknight  

I have had moments in self-inquiry where it feels like I am losing control. It feels like I am disappearing. It gets very intense and when I cannot find myself my heart starts beating fast and the self-inquiry is always ended due to panic and fear.  I know I write in self-contradicting ways but am I onto something?

I wonder because I had my first satori 3 years ago. It did not happened in self-inquiry or meditation. It was completely spontaneous.  The interesting thing Is that it was like a quantum leap into "I am" without any fear or panic. how could my ego die so easily at that moment, and why does it resist now?

thx :)

Could be... not sure why it's difficult now, but it's not uncommon. Though really there is nothing to fear. You are not disappearing. Only a false conception or image is disappearing. But that image does defend itself, and it can defend itself with fear.

Might be worth looking deeply into that fear and metaphorizing it. Write about it, draw it out, or use whatever other medium you're comfortable with and really dig into that fear. What does it feel like? Compare it to something else. Really capture it. Imagine a scenario where the fear comes true -- express what that scenario is like. Don't stop till you feel like you've really deeply seen exactly what the fear is like.

2 hours ago, Outer said:

The text that is written at numerous places.

So that's the problem. These expectations from these texts. Can you drop these expectations?

Edited by winterknight

@winterknight

the recognition that one is not the doer and the decision-maker.

By that ('one') you are referring to the false I, correct?

But isn't the idea that the Self is our real nature? Doesn't that paradoxically conclude that we are in fact the doer and the actor?

Admittedly, it is not difficult to see how all thoughts and intentions sprout out of nothingness spontaneously - since a thought does not need to be preceded by another thought to occur, they simply appear out of nowhere.

So when you say that one should have this recognition, is there a practical method to demonstrate this quickly?

2 minutes ago, FoxFoxFox said:

@winterknight

By that ('one') you are referring to the false I, correct?But isn't the idea that the Self is our real nature? Doesn't that paradoxically conclude that we are in fact the doer and the actor?

No, that 'one' really referred to the true Self, but it also applies to the ego actually. The Self cannot be said to do, cannot be said to act...

Admittedly, it is not difficult to see how all thoughts and intentions sprout out of nothingness spontaneously - since a thought does not need to be preceded by another thought to occur, they simply appear out of nowhere.

So when you say that one should have this recognition, is there a practical method to demonstrate this quickly?

There's only one method -- self-inquiry... trace the "I." It is the false I who thinks itself to be the decision-maker; see through the false I, recognize the true I, and it is clear that the whole concept of decision-maker is false.

1 minute ago, winterknight said:

There's only one method -- self-inquiry... trace the "I." It is the false I who thinks itself to be the decision-maker; see through the false I, recognize the true I, and it is clear that the whole concept of decision-maker is false.

Okay, here's an example.

I say that I open my hand. I realize that the concepts of hand, action, subject and object are functions of language and thus illusory. 

This leaves me with, well, I am, or being (if chosen to call it that). 

So where to go from here? 

1 minute ago, FoxFoxFox said:

Okay, here's an example.

I say that I open my hand. I realize that the concepts of hand, action, subject and object are functions of language and thus illusory. 

This leaves me with, well, I am, or being (if chosen to call it that). 

So where to go from here? 

Who is it that is realizing these things about concepts? Who is it that wants to know where to go from here? That inquiry is where to go.

1 minute ago, winterknight said:

Who is it that is realizing these things about concepts? Who is it that wants to know where to go from here? 

I am.

That I is me. What answer could one give to this question? 

This is a vicious circle, no?

Edited by FoxFoxFox

Just now, FoxFoxFox said:

So? How is this liberation? How is this peace? 

What does "I am" even mean? It's a meaningless statement. 

Is the objective to point one's existence as awareness? 

It is not a meaningless statement. You know that you are. That is quite indisputable. The question is what the nature of this knowledge is.

Why are you looking for an objective in advance? "One's existence" --> whose existence? 

@winterknight

Very well i will not look for an objective in advance. 

I know that I am, agreed. To call this a feeling is not acceptable so much, since a feeling is associated with the body, and this knowing of existence does not emanate from the body.

what the nature of this knowledge is.

I do not understand this question. What is the purpose? Nature in what sense?

Edited by FoxFoxFox

9 minutes ago, FoxFoxFox said:

@winterknight

Very well i will not look for an objective in advance. 

I know that I am, agreed. To call this a feeling is not acceptable so much, since a feeling is associated with the body, and this knowing of existence does not emanate from the body.

I do not understand this question. What is the purpose? Nature in what sense?

Ok, so you admit a "knowing of existence." Who is aware of this knowing? If you say "I am," who is aware of that?