The White Belt

Am I on the right track with journal contemplation?

13 posts in this topic

See images.

A question also: Can you journal self-inquiry?

Thanks! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

I didn’t read but yes! You are doing it right. 

Self inquiry can be done all the time including in writing. 

On 29/07/2018 at 7:56 PM, The White Belt said:

A question also: Can you journal self-inquiry?

Have you heard of Jed McKenna or spiritual autolysis? Basically his whole method is a form of journalled self-inquiry. He talks about it in his first two books, but if you YouTube 'spiritual autolysis' you'll find the audiobook version of the chapter where he describes it explicitly. 

It's one of my chosen methods and it's blown many doors off their hinges. In terms of whether you're on track: if you're doing it, you're on track. If you're not, you're not! 

Leo didn’t speak much about how much to write - if anything at all. He just mentioned writing the initial question and contemplating. 

I’m curious about the most effective balance between writing everything down to only writing down the deepest insights.

Perhaps a good experiment for my direct experience ?

@Serotoninluv After 30 mins of contemplating you should have at least 2 full pages of writings.

I usually ponder for a minute, then write a bit down. Then ponder for another minute, then write a few more sentences. Etc.

You can write quite a lot once you're on a roll. But be careful not to write blindly without contemplating. Your writing must be grounded in direct experience, or it will devolve into spectualation and grand theory-building.

Don't just ponder in your head, also ponder on the page.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

May I ask, after contemplating for 30 minute's, I reached a question I do not have the answer to, what do you do in this situation? I pondered the question for two days and still no answer. 

@Charlotte This is just my opinion but I don't think contemplation is for asking a direct question and expecting an answer. For me it's more about having some realization than allowing that a space to expand. 

5 hours ago, Charlotte said:

for two days and still no answer. 

Good job!  I like your work ethic.  What you work on is what you improve.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@cetus56 Thanks for replying. I know what you mean... I find questions I have within the contemplation if you know what I mean, it's basically questions within a question within a question. Does this make sense? 

3 hours ago, Charlotte said:

@cetus56 Thanks for replying. I know what you mean... I find questions I have within the contemplation if you know what I mean, it's basically questions within a question within a question. Does this make sense? 

Yea- it just goes deeper and deeper into the silence and becomes ever more nuanced- infinitely refined. Like a fractal for example.