Leo Gura

Strange Loops Mega-Thread

236 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Neptune2020 said:

@Leo Gura When you say infinity, does this mean the concept of infinity in say calculus?

No, Infinity is not a concept, because concepts are finite.

I mean actual Infinity. Which cannot be spoken because you are it.

Calculus speaks of transfinite infinities, which are smaller infinities than the Absolute. I am speaking of what Georg Cantor called Absolute Infinity.

See my 2-part series: Understanding Absolute Infinity

Absolute Infinity is identical to what you call "life", "perception", or "physical reality" -- but you are not conscious of its true nature as yet.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

"This sentence contradicts itself — no actually it doesn't, yes it does, no it doesn't, yes it does."

—Some other guy who was arguing with Douglas Hofstadter xD

I don't know if this qualifies but, it's a bit of a paradox. 

Edited by Revolutionary Think

@Neptune2020 @Jamie UniverseUniverse( can get rid of the "@JamieUniverse" cuz I'm on mobile). 

When it comes to mathematics (and not what Leo's talking about) , I  don't like to think of infinity as a number. I've come across a couple of ways in which infinity is used in academia. If infinity is used in mathematical limits as the index of a limit, the "∞" represents the fact that we are evaluating what an expression approaches as the referenced variable gets bigger and bigger. 

E. G. "Lim n--> ∞" of " (1+(1/n))^(n)" is equal to "e", 2.7182818284590452353..., an irrational number.

If we ever apply a limit to an expression and get "∞" then we just say that the expression will get indefinitely bigger as the referenced variable approaches a given idex. If the variable is "n" and the index is "0" then you might have

"lim n-->0" of "(6)/(n^(2))" is "∞". As n gets closer and closer to zero, the expression will get indefinitely bigger. 6/0 is undefined. 

Another more interesting way to see infinity is to look at the number of possible numbers between 1 and 2. You have 1.1,1.01,1.001 and etc. The way I look at it is that the mathematical language we use is constructed such that we can always "generate more numbers" irregardless of however many numbers we are currently holding in our mind. You could write 12 billion numbers on a piece of paper, but you could still generate more numbers. In this way, I see infinity as meaning "I can always generate more of this thing". 

I'm sure you already know this, but calculus and limits in general are trying to use the concept of infinities in a way. Like you've probably heard the term infintesimal. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

21 hours ago, Crystalous said:

What is the colour a mirror actually has?

@Crystalous It's green. I think i heard that in a vsauce episode.

Edited by martins name

The road to God is paved with bliss.

Everything I say would be a lie. 

Edited by Brent

`

31QbW6U0nwL.jpg

Edited by student

Here's some (mostly speculative, just guesses):

1. Continuity and discreetness give birth to one another. They are both limit cases of one another. A regular polygon with infinitely many sides is a continuous circle, and the curviest curve is an angle or sharp peak. 
  2. It makes emotional sense to do things that don’t make logical sense. Not making sense makes sense? (this one needs work, maybe not a strange loop.)
  3. Reality is deterministically spontaneous. Spontaneity and determinism give birth to one another.
  4. Reality is the only map that is also the territory. It describes itself with itself. 

I think every "strange loop" is based on the double toroid structure that can be found in everything. Some ancient symbols that are strange loops are the celtic triquetra, the ouroboros, ying-yang, the symbol of the infinite.

Well... if you think about what a loop is very abstractly, it's a singular object which links back with itself via some backward, as yet unseen connection. So two ends which previously seemed separate are ultimately recognized to be one and the same.

Try slowly drawing a circle and see what happens. Duality goes full-circle into nonduality ;) The beginning and end are one.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

The idea from the movie The Never Ending Story, that Creation must be "reseeded" and "given a new name" by one of its creations, to keep it from being consumed by The Nothing.  (2 min clip)

Edited by Bryan Lettner

Also, the Shepard Tone, the "perpetually rising frequency", kind-of a pseudo- strange loop.

Also this dude makes great GIFs, pretty loopy.  (scroll down for GIFs). Here's a couple:

ezgif.com-resize (1).gifezgif.com-resize (2).gifezgif.com-resize (3).gifezgif.com-resize.gif