egoless

Dangers of Yoga

24 posts in this topic

Leo released his new video about the importance of yoga. 

I want to prepare ourselves for possible side effects of yoga techniques. Let’s speak about dark side of yoga and what could go wrong... 

there is a term “kundalini psychosis” and I am sure there are other possible side effects. For example, I’ve heared that  there are possibilities of gender identity loss conected with some yoga techniques....

What safety steps could be taken to avoid all these complications. What sources do you recommend to read and watch to raise the awareness on the topic?

@egoless look at your sexual organ and tell me if you dont know what gender u are!

@Ether You haven't studied gender, have ya? 

Spirituality is any movement towards the Unnamable. Everything is spiritual.

The only true way out Resistance is going into it because any way out of it is staying in it.

The purest life possible is surrendering to the Absolute.

Some practices are more prone to potential misuse than others, depending on intensity and to what degree it's directly working with the energetic system. 

The problem comes when a lack of proper education, information and precautions are taken, particularly with pranayamas. To prevent unnecessary suffering, practices should be followed as per guided by a proper teacher who knows what they're talking about. Kriya yoga for example isn't something you want to learn on a forum. Misusing certain yoga practices is playing with fire and has potentially severe consequences that can take years to recover from: emotionally, energetically, physiologically. For many kinds of yoga this isn't a concern, for others it is. Misuse can be as simple as doing a practice for much longer than is suggested multiple times a day when it's instructed that one should only practice it once per day, for example. 

Learn from decent sources, follow instructions carefully, and scale back or pause practices if they're causing disturbing symptoms. Then you'll be gravy!

Edited by Arman

@Arman What do you think about learning kriya yoga by book. Because that's what Leo is suggesting in his new video. He is suggesting to read one of his books from the book list about kriya yoga.

I'll buy the book and give it a shot.  This is an angle of practice that I haven't explored yet.  

Ya'll should buy Leo's book list.  I have it and it's great.  A couple of those books can transform your life.  It's a very good investment on the path.  You gotta do some reading of books.  I've read hundreds of books myself.  You can't just not read and then expect to be really wise.  That's a pipe-dream.  You gotta pay your dues by spending lots of time in the books to become wise.  I still read to this day, mostly audiobooks though.  I do a lot of audio courses.  The Teaching Company Courses are hit and miss -- but a couple of them have been really good!  The ones that are superb are the ones that I recommend to all of you.  There's only a couple of them that have been superb.  And you'll find that with books, audiobooks, courses, etc.  there are a lot of writers and speakers -- but there are very few great ones.  It's like that Bacon quote: 

"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention" -- Francis Bacon

Edited by Joseph Maynor

14 minutes ago, egoless said:

@Arman What do you think about learning kriya yoga by book. Because that's what Leo is suggesting in his new video. He is suggesting to read one of his books from the book list about kriya yoga.

I think no problem as long as the teacher is good. I haven't watched the video yet but if Leos suggesting it I'd trust it to be a legit learning source. 

Edited by Arman

A) Kriya yoga is specifically designed to raise kundalini gradually and safely.

B) All spiritual techniques come with risks. You can have a kundalini awakening from self-inquiry, etc.

C) I have another book on the book list about kundalini, its dangers, and how to avoid them. Do a ctrl+F search in the book list for for "kundalini". Read that book too if you're gonna do yoga.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

23 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

A) Kriya yoga is specifically designed to raise kundalini gradually and safely.

B) All spiritual techniques come with risks. You can have a kundalini awakening from self-inquiry, etc.

C) I have another book on the book list about kundalini, its dangers, and how to avoid them. Do a ctrl+F search in the book list for for "kundalini". Read that book too if you're gonna do yoga.

Great! Will do it. Are you going to release videos about chakras and kundalini in depth explanations in the nearest future?

I saw a book on Amazon called Hidden Dangers of Meditation that sounded pretty worrisome.  I found an interesting article on the subject as well:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/meditation-is-touted-as-a-cure-for-mental-instability-but-can-it-actually-be-bad-for-you-10268291.html

Although I've practiced meditation & some yoga breathing exercises for a few years & never encountered an issue.  Makes me think it might be better to do it in moderation, at least for me.  On the whole, there is a lot more data coming out now about meditation, yoga, & psychedelics that I never saw up until now.  I find it helpful to have as much info as I can get my hands on where possible to avoid serious risk (if there are any).

I once told a lady I was meditating regularly & she had a reaction, which makes me think, now, she must've known someone who had a bad reaction to it.

Watch out for that mechanistic movement of fragmentation guys. It will get ya?

Edited by Faceless

1 hour ago, egoless said:

Great! Will do it. Are you going to release videos about chakras and kundalini in depth explanations in the nearest future?

The Kriya book explains all that in more detail than I ever could in a video.

@egoless

Maps of enlightenment can be useful.

I recommend you study the dimensions and densities without placing valuing in each strata. 

It can be good if you stop making realization a mind-blowing task. It comes very timed. don't bake the cake too soon. or else it'll turn the flours into stuffings. 

11 minutes ago, MofO said:

@egoless

Maps of enlightenment can be useful.

I recommend you study the dimensions and densities without placing valuing in each strata. 

It can be good if you stop making realization a mind-blowing task. It comes very timed. don't bake the cake too soon. or else it'll turn the flours into stuffings. 

That's very true. What has to happen will happen. That's why I stopped wanting to become Enlightened. I have no more desire to become Enlightened. I can't force Enlightenment. Neither can Leo. That's what all the people on the path should understand. Enlightenment is destiny. However, that does not mean you should stop seeking. Life will show you the way no matter what. 

Edited by egoless

Oh. Just bought the book about kriya. I look at it and find it fucking difficult to be open-minded here.  

Same with kundalini book. I mean, astral particles? A deity demanding on writing the book? C'mon! :/

Apply consciousness to the burned area

19 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You can have a kundalini awakening from self-inquiry, etc.

I can testify this from my own experience. Everytime I hit some sort of absorption/resting in awareness through self inquiry, I feel sharp sensations rushing up the spine. This actually shakes my whole body and distracts me, leaving me unfocused/imbalanced/back at square one. I'm pretty sure If I could be in that absorbed surrendered state for some time without any break, a nirvikalpa samadhi would naturally occur. 

Its as if the body won't let the Truth to be revealed.. :| 

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

7 hours ago, Azote said:

Oh. Just bought the book about kriya. I look at it and find it fucking difficult to be open-minded here.  

Same with kundalini book. I mean, astral particles? A deity demanding on writing the book? C'mon! :/

Of course yoga requires radical openmindedness. It does not fit the Western materialist paradigm at all. This is a very advanced practice for serious spiritual seekers. This is not for armchair skeptics.

Btw, you don't need to beleive the metaphysical explanations offered. You just need to do the techniques.

Although if you are too skeptical of the entire process you may as well not start because you will not have the vision and discipline to execute it.

Yoga must be done seriously. You cannot half-ass the techniques.